GOLFMKV

Front Door Panel Removal Write-up

dav1d

Ready to race!
Anyone?

glowworm238

Ready to race!
no, if you put a spacer there you wont be able to get the panel back on
I know the front door speakers need spacers when swapping for aftermarkets but how about the rear panel speakers? Are spacers needed there too?

Attachments

• IMG_4004.jpg
    IMG_4004.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 936
  • IMG_4006.jpg
    IMG_4006.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 749

dav1d

Ready to race!

solhaug

how do I remove the large black plastic access cover inside the door? I have removed the door panel but cannot remove the big black plastic cover.

quality_sound

hmm.......
That's not an access cover, it's the window regulator. It is removable but you have to first remove the window and then be VERY careful. Get a Haynes and look it through before diving in.

mcmike

nice instructional post, i got that panel off in no time flat, only broke one clip, i have an early 2010 gti and the top torx screw was not a torx but an standard hex bolt, 8mm wrench i think, looked original, anyhow i had to pop open the panel to see what broke on my door, it was about 6 degrees out today and my driver door handle was frozen, after work it was closer to 30 degrees so i gave the handle a gentle tug and it moved alittle, so i pulled alittle more and the handle moved but the door didnt open, it appears that my mechanism inside separated, i cant get a good view inside the door with my big hands in there, but looking at parts diagrams it looks like i need a whole new assembly, i dont see how to snap it back together, bummer

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
the latch mechanism simply unclip from the panel by pulling on it

wish mine was that easy.. been looking for more detailed directions on that. i pulled in a few directions when i was doing my Focal install, and just couldnt get that handle cable off the door card.

Outkasted24

Hoping to Own a GTI Soon
Locate the black square plastic piece that the cable feeds into right behind the interior handle.

Grasp that black square piece, pull it back the slightest bit to release pressure on the cable, and slide it out away from the door panel and towards the actual door.
It will come unlatched, then quide the black fork looking cable track forward towards the Mirror.

Once you get it undone the first time, you'll kick yourself for struggling so hard all of those other times..

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Locate the black square plastic piece that the cable feeds into right behind the interior handle.

Grasp that black square piece, pull it back the slightest bit to release pressure on the cable, and slide it out away from the door panel and towards the actual door.
It will come unlatched, then quide the black fork looking cable track forward towards the Mirror.

Once you get it undone the first time, you'll kick yourself for struggling so hard all of those other times..

ill try it if i decide to remove my focal speakers. what i remember trying is pulling up on that tab thing, and it just wouldnt come off. i dont remember the square area, thats prob why i couldnt figure it out.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
ill try it if i decide to remove my focal speakers. what i remember trying is pulling up on that tab thing, and it just wouldnt come off. i dont remember the square area, thats prob why i couldnt figure it out.

still havent got around to trying this removal. i have this vague feeling like the bass was better before the focal upgrade. maybe more boomy or something, giving the impression of lower bass. but, the treble was way better (cleaner) on the focal tweets. i wonder if anyone has done a mix and match with the focals, only using the tweets?

i also think the focals might eat a little power, maybe 1-2%. Reason being, they have huge capacitors/resistors that the stock speakers dont have. Those capacitors absorb some power during their function. (< mainly a guess from everything i read, i am not an electronics major. funny story though, i earned a electronics technician certificate in 1998..) Sort of like how passive component speaker sets rob more power than straight active speaker sets. Since the stock speakers are already tuned for the proper frequencies, it seems the Focals might be doubling up the frequency tuning unneccessarily.

A complicated read..

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_4/2.html

Last edited:

veedubbz7

Rear door inner window slot seal removal

Does anyone know the proper way to remove the inner slot seal? This is the rubber piece with felt that sits on top of the door and seals the interior side of the window. The manual says to remove the door trim (did that), then pull up seal equally without distorting or bending. I used my plastic interior lever and wedge and for the life of me can't get it to move. I don't want to over muscle it and break something. Is there a special tool? Thanks