GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 with 62k miles or 2016 with 22k miles?

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hi, I am in the market for a new (at least to me GTI) and I am presented with two options:

1. 2012 Candy White 2 door 6MT. My original flame and muse. I had a 2 door Golf and a 4 door GTI, both in candy white. A bit bubbly next to the mk7 but still very well designed, made in Germany, etc. One owner, well maintained, and hopefully the PPI comes back clear. It's at $12k with 62k miles on it.

2. 2016 Deep Black Pearl GTI. I do enjoy detailing, so will be both very fun and also very infuriating as far as keeping it shiny goes. CPO, listed at $22k (hopefully negotiated down to $20k) with 22k miles.

Driving impression wise, I'm not blown out of the water by either of them. My old mk6 had poly bushings, engine mounts, and a dieselgeek short shifter, and I will be doing those mods all over again with either choice that I go with.

Now the question is, which one? The mk6 got a lot of nostalgia points, but most people seem to prefer the mk7 for the most part (minus the VIN elitism, closer ratios on the 6MT, steering wheel material)

Which would be your choice in this situation?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I feel like the '12 with 62k miles is starting to enter that territory where you might start running into problems, things breaking. If you can fix things yourself this might not be as big a deal to you.

The 16 would still have the original warranty and at 22k miles you shouldn't see any issues for a while.

I'd rather have the 16 just because I prefer new stuff over old stuff.

Here's what I tell customers looking at our boats though, buy the one that keeps you up at night, the one that you think about when you're laying in bed trying to go to sleep.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Honestly, Mk7 at this point. The mileage and year make it totally worth it.

The mk6 is based on a very old platform (mk5s) and only really has "looks" going on for it at this point. Those looks are also opinionated so it doesn't mean the mk7 is worse to others. I actually like the Mk7s once they are lowered and have some exterior work done.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I really like my MK6, but even so I'd go for that CPO 2016. CPO warranty & lots less miles wins the day for me.

Francoleon91

Drag Racing Champion
Honestly, Mk7 at this point. The mileage and year make it totally worth it.

The mk6 is based on a very old platform (mk5s) and only really has "looks" going on for it at this point. Those looks are also opinionated so it doesn't mean the mk7 is worse to others. I actually like the Mk7s once they are lowered and have some exterior work done.

agreed 100%. once lowered they look much better. stock for stock mk6 wins tho as far as looks.

pdan

Ready to race!
Was in a similar boat 2 years ago or so when I got my mk6. I absolutely drooled over the way it looked, but my dad was trying to convince me to buy a newer low mileage mk7. It was around $4K more, but I really wanted a mk6. And yes, I ended up paying too much but I wanted it and it was almost perfect. Looking back, I’d probably have gone with the newer low mileage mk7. I just love the way this thing looks though. Bonus points for 2 door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I personally would pick the 2012 2-door, assuming the 16 is a 4 door. Made in Germany vs made in Mexico, you can probably negotiate price to 10 or 11k. That extra money would go a long way!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
agreed 100%. once lowered they look much better. stock for stock mk6 wins tho as far as looks.

Yeah but see that is very opinionated because even now, I am seeing the mk6s appearing more outdated than when I first bought it of course.

The mk7's sharper looking curves have grown on me and it's as though the majority of all newer cars have those same types of curves. It gives the mk6 a more outdated look whether you'd imagine that or not just because all newer cars are having those same types of curves. It just makes the mk6 appear more so as an older car.

zrickety

The Fixer
Lol older car? Most non-VW people can't tell the difference between an mk6 and mk7. I still say go 2 door just because you can't get them anymore, and they just look better IMO.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Lol older car? Most non-VW people can't tell the difference between an mk6 and mk7. I still say go 2 door just because you can't get them anymore, and they just look better IMO.

I'm talking about VW people. I've been paying more attention to mk7s as I see them moreso these days and can see the updated curves a heck of a lot more now than previously. I'm not saying our cars are outdated by non-VW people, but for VW people driving a mk6, they might begin to notice. :cool:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I've owned my MK6 GTI for 3.5ish years and plan on keeping it until it dies a fiery death. My dad liked my car so much he bought a MK7. So I have a bit of experience with both platforms.

I love my car and all but I'm pretty jealous that with an MK7 you can put on a downpipe, get a tune, and be over 300hp at the wheels. MK6's need a k04 to keep up with stage 2 MK7's. Not to mention you have the factory option of an LSD if you opt for the sport package.

In addition to the drivetrain, the interior of the MK7 is quite nice. I really like the seats which have a bit more bolster and support. Highway gas mileage is way better with the MK7 because 6th gear is a true overdrive. Of course it also has other niceties that come with being newer - technology, lighting, etc. Honestly, if I were you I would go with the MK7. It will be a fun, reliable car with the upgrades you plan to make.

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
If you plan on modifying it then the warranty thing is kind of moot, since CPO warranties are pretty strict about mods. I'd take the $8-10k savings from buying the MK6 and throw a KO4 on it and have a way faster car for less and still have money left over. 60k miles is nothing for this car, and since it's a '12 I'd just confirm it has the updated tensioner and you're good to go. Especially if the MK6 was well taken care of.

And the difference of 40k miles is 1-2 years of driving for most people, which isn't a lot.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
If you’re going to modify the car the old one is probably a better value. $10,000 is a lot of money. But if you like how the Mk7 drives, it doesn’t seem like you can really go wrong with it. They’re both great cars.

markus037

Ready to race!
Mk7, its just a better car overall. i drove a 17 SE with performance pack. its amazing how well it performs stock.