GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

URGENT help needed -- Car won't go into gear

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
yes and no.. clutches are always tough, even under warranty, since it's a "wear" item

RAPPLE

Ready to race!
yes and no.. clutches are always tough, even under warranty, since it's a "wear" item

But if it was failure due to, as you had stated, a pressure plate or slave cylinder/throw out bearing(one in the same unit on VW's). Shouldn't the clutch be considered subsequent damage due to another item failing?

When my pressure plate went out 2 weeks ago I got a new clutch when VW deemed the issue being the pressure plate. Due to the fact that it could have done damage to the clutch. Got a new Flywheel too because it was wobbling like crazy too. I know my situation was different that the OP's. But similar in a lot of ways.

I do agree with some of the other guys, if you're gonna have to spend that kind of money to do a clutch, might as well do something a little better. And if you do decided to put a stock clutch kit back in do this one.

06J141015JX

It's a superseded part number to VW's OEM kit. I compared the stock one I had and the new one. Clutch was beefier and the pressure plate was redesigned a bit, for the better it looked.

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Well, if it was a car with 1k miles on it and the clutch went, I'm sure they would replace it under warranty. If it's got 40k miles on it, then they are going to say it was abused. I had a clutch go the same way in my S4 , and Audi wouldn't cover it. I just drove to work 100% normal, pulled into a parking spot, then went to back up and straighten out a little better, and it wouldn't go into gear after that

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
He only has 25 k :( my car was at 15k when my plate disengaged. Whole new clutch under warranty.

Aftermarket clutch 100%. Probably cheaper too.

RAPPLE

Ready to race!
He only has 25 k :( my car was at 15k when my plate disengaged. Whole new clutch under warranty.

Aftermarket clutch 100%. Probably cheaper too.

Mine happened at 13,009 Miles. lol

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
If it's not covered under warranty, could you not just pick up this guy's clutch and have it installed in your car?

http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78131

I wouldn't risk it, to be completely honest. Go through all the work of replacing the clutch, only to risk the same issue again, definitely not worth it.

http://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3888

$949 for the kit, holds up to 480lbft, great deal IMO and will not fail like the OEM. If you're planning on keeping the car after the lease, this is the route I would go.

I too would like to know what actually failed though. The only reason I can think as to why they wouldn't cover it is if they suspected abuse played a part...otherwise usually they would see a part failed and would cover it. Not always, but usually, from what I've heard on here.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
Major bummer, OP. Sorry to hear.

I'm probably the furthest from a clutch expert you could find on this site, but I find it hard to believe that what your ex's dad did during a single trip in one night caused the clutch to "go out." Can you elaborate on "rowing through the gears pretty rough" and "staying in high RPMs during most of the non-highway driving?"

Was he riding/popping the clutch and redlining every fucking gear?

Ever been pulled over for speeding and not received a ticket? :thumbsup:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
The HST RSR is a great option if you upgrade. It's very driveable, so I wouldn't expect to take a hit if you traded it in. They probably wouldn't notice :lol:

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
Major bummer, OP. Sorry to hear.

I'm probably the furthest from a clutch expert you could find on this site, but I find it hard to believe that what your ex's dad did during a single trip in one night caused the clutch to "go out." Can you elaborate on "rowing through the gears pretty rough" and "staying in high RPMs during most of the non-highway driving?"

Was he riding/popping the clutch and redlining every fucking gear?

Ever been pulled over for speeding and not received a ticket? :thumbsup:

If OP had a shitty faulty plate to begin with like many here appear to have had, then one rough go could've been enough to break it off. (Excuse my poor car talk, just going by what I remember my mechanic telling me before).

There may have been signs though. OP, Prior to this experience have you ever had trouble putting your car into either reverse or first gear or have noticed any sort of resistance when changing gears? This happened to me but didn't think much of it until my clutch plate decided to fuck off

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
Also every time I've been pulled over for speeding I've gotten a ticket, albeit greatly reduced