GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this a good plan for mods?

BigLar11

So I've wanted to start modding my car since I got it and I've been working hard to the point where it's feasible to start modding. I want to share what my plan is in terms of buying parts.

The goal of this plan is to have all the parts necessary for a stage 2 tune before Waterfest this year. I've done a lot of looking around and decided to go for a Revo tune. I've read a lot of good things about them along with a few friends who have Revo tunes and enjoying them. The reasoning for getting the car tuned at Waterfest is simple; it would cost about $450 (or $500, I don't remember the exact number) for the stage 2 tune as well as the SPS.

For the physical parts, I was planning on purchasing/adding them as they come before the car is tuned.

For the exhaust, I would just be going with an SPM down pipe over a full turbo back since most of the power is restricted at the dp and it also is much cheaper then the full kit. I also looked at the SPM axleback w/o mufflers (purely for the sound :) ).

And finally for the intake, I'd probably get the Revo one.

Please let me know if this is a good plan as well as what you guys think my future upgrades!

Also, please correct any mistakes I made if you see them :happyanim:

NorthVan1

Ready to race!
skip the intake and get an intercooler first, you'll notice much more of an increase in performance. An intake really only adds noise.

+1, the factory intake is more likely to supply cooler air to the engine, then a aftermarket Cold Air Intake. I have swapped these out over the years, and spent a lot of money doing them, the gains are insignificant.

You are spot on with the down pipe (and cat) being the most restrictive part of the exhaust.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
So I've wanted to start modding my car since I got it and I've been working hard to the point where it's feasible to start modding. I want to share what my plan is in terms of buying parts.

The goal of this plan is to have all the parts necessary for a stage 2 tune before Waterfest this year. I've done a lot of looking around and decided to go for a Revo tune. I've read a lot of good things about them along with a few friends who have Revo tunes and enjoying them. The reasoning for getting the car tuned at Waterfest is simple; it would cost about $450 (or $500, I don't remember the exact number) for the stage 2 tune as well as the SPS.

Whichever tune is fine. Best to pick something that is local to you incase you have any issues with the tune afterwards.

For the physical parts, I was planning on purchasing/adding them as they come before the car is tuned.

For the exhaust, I would just be going with an SPM down pipe over a full turbo back since most of the power is restricted at the dp and it also is much cheaper then the full kit. I also looked at the SPM axleback w/o mufflers (purely for the sound :) ).

Just adding a downpipe is fine. Many people including myself still run the factory catback. Just know that if you choose SPM that as a company they no longer technically exist should you have a major issue.

And finally for the intake, I'd probably get the Revo one.

As for the intake, I agree and disagree with Jay. I see your in the northeast too (Jersey) and we are coming into fall right now. Stage 2 really opens up the top end in which I think you will benefit from an intake. Get the intake now or at least get a high performance panel filter for the oem box if nothing else. You can get an intercooler next spring before the hot weather hits. Don't know of too many on here running the revo intake.

Please let me know if this is a good plan as well as what you guys think my future upgrades!

Also, please correct any mistakes I made if you see them :happyanim:

Answers in bold.

BigLar11

skip the intake and get an intercooler first, you'll notice much more of an increase in performance. An intake really only adds noise.

I don't want to sound dumb but would it still be possible to do the stage 2 tune?

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I don't want to sound dumb but would it still be possible to do the stage 2 tune?

Yes, only required hardware for Stage 2 is downpipe.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Id avoid SPM. They are a dying company and some people have been waiting months to try and get issues resolved. Other than that DP is the most important, catback is purely noise so thats up to you and you can add it in later after tunning if you want. Intake is a good choice ive never had the Revo Intake but im sure it works just fine especially with their tune as they developed the tune with it.

BigLar11

Thank you guys so much for the help! I really appreciate it!

One more question; would installing the physical upgrades (like the downpipe, intercooler, etc) before the tune cause more harm then good? I was reading around and saw a few things saying how it could throw codes and actually reduce hp without having the ecu properly tuned

BigLar11

it would yes, intake is not a requirement for stage 2 - just the downpipe. not sure if youre manual or DSG, but if manual be prepared to put a clutch in.

Im DSG. DSG farts all day! :D

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Thank you guys so much for the help! I really appreciate it!

One more question; would installing the physical upgrades (like the downpipe, intercooler, etc) before the tune cause more harm then good? I was reading around and saw a few things saying how it could throw codes and actually reduce hp without having the ecu properly tuned

Well you have to have the downpipe on before the tune.

If you do the downpipe way in advance and drive for weeks and thousands of miles, you'll probably eventually throw a code. Chances are it will be a P0420 code. You can still drive the car but you'll need to get 02 spacer(s) to pull the sensor out of the gas stream a bit to trick the sensor. If you have emissions testing you will need to do this. If not then you can just set to stage 2 and drive as it will turn off the CEL for emissions.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Thank you so much!

I didn't know SPM was a dying company bc I just saw that ECS is the world wide distributor for them.

What down pipe would you suggest/run?

I believe they are only a distributor for the left over stock. Things are no longer being manufactured.

There are TONS of threads on downpipes, sound clips, and reviews. All comes down to personal preference and how much $ you have or are willing to spend.