GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New opinions - sell the GTI and E30 for a B8 S4?

BlueE30

Ready to race!
**edit should say NEED opinions... not new lol***

Appreciate any suggestions, kind of in a predicament. Really like the GTI, don't really need more room (wife has a Jetta). Have got the GTI in peak running shape, no issues with it, runs awesome and has 130k kms (80k miles). Good tires, good brakes, good winter tires, new tensioner updated, all maintenance up to date - it's set for quite some time.

Also have an 1987 E30 that is also really mint, has a custom turbo kit on it, runs great, probably worth, with the rise in e30 prices, $10k ish.

I hate having car payments so would want to spend about $25-$30k on a used S4, probably will have about 40k-60k miles (60k-100k kms on it). I've heard the B8 S4's are reliable, fast and fun.

Mainly looking for a more fun daily driver with more power, I do go up to visit the parents and pass through a lot of snow so AWD is a huge plus for me. I'm sure the GTI with snow tires would be fine though.

The E30 I've had for a few years and really worked hard to get it to where it's at, kind of sentimentally attached to it but the wife hates it, doesn't want me putting more money into it, doesn't even like me insuring the thing so working on it going forward will be challenging.

So what to do? Buy a more fun daily driver with more power that I'll be able to drive and insure or stay status quo with the reliable and fun GTI, work on and insure the E30 a bit here and there.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the long winded post! Couple photo's of the E30.

Last edited:

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
Imo dont get rid of the E30. That thing looks awesome!! I played a lot of Gran Turismo when I was younger and a stacked garage is always better lol. I regret selling my SLC Corrado & B5 K04 Passat. I kick myself in the ass everytime I see one. If i still had those cars i would have a pretty cool garage. I learned my lesson and will not get rid of any of my cars anymore smh. Il attempt to pull a Jay Leno in the future lmao.

zrickety

The Fixer
You should keep both of them. I understand the angry wife, but it's nice to have a backup car. It sounds like both of these are paid off? The BMW is holding it's value, and looks like a great track day car. If you need more grunt in the GTI, put a K04 in there and hang on!

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Thanks guys, I'm kind of leaning towards the same now that I've thought of it more. The GTI is quite a bit of fun, going to go stage 2 soon and probably stop there unless I can hide cash from the wife and get more mula for modding hahaha. Don't really see the E30 dropping much in value.

And yes, both were bought in cash and were modded in cash so no car loans or anything.

Bah! Thanks again for the replies.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I agree. Stick with what you got. Especially since they're paid off. Car loans suck.

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
E30 FTW! That's what I had planned for my E30 M42 but life is way too busy at the moment! So I have 2 E30's gracefully waiting to be turbo'ed....

CMGTI

Ready to race!
I would keep both of them. Great shape E30s are rarer and rarer nowadays. Since they're paid off, screw making payments lol.

medolave

Keep what you have now. That E30 looks amazing. Especially since you have an emotional attachment to it, you'll miss it when it’s gone.

My other car is a Yaris hatch, it's the best downtown daily driving car I've had. I can do all the maintenance myself, it never ever breaks down, and it's so easy to park while also being practical. Having said that it is a Yaris and so I also often look at selling both the GTI and the Yaris and having just one car but I always end up at the same conclusion. I really like them both for what I use them for.

I'm also based in Vancouver. Lived in Halifax for a while, drove the GTI there and back. Winter tires on the GTI and you're rock solid in snow.

Lastly, cool plates on the E30. Finally BC has got some cool options, even if it costs a little extra a year. (I've got the bear one on the Yaris).

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Surprised no one asked if you can trade in the wife.
All jokes aside it seems like you've found your passion and the other reason you're leaning towards the S4 is to quell and arguments. Smart move.

I personally wouldn't sell the Bimmer. Not a chance.
Have you thought about the R? First I was going to suggest K04 and a R conversion project but why bother with all that? I'm sure you could find a reasonable R between Van and Calgary that could fit the bill. That way you have the wagon, awd, and Fun factor all built it. If you needed more grin factor swap out the factory turbo for a monster and have at it.

Whatever you do... pls keep the Bimmer!! I'm coming out there next month and wouldn't mind a test drive lol

Jcarollo765

Ready to race!
What kind of numbers does the E30 put down? I would def keep it...:wub:

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Thank you all so much, really appreciate the assistance and help!

The E30 puts down just under 300 whp and trq... It's a Holset H1C turbo with a custom smaller exhaust housing but even so, takes a bit to spool up then hits pretty hard. Would like to toss in a more efficient turbo but for now it works well, it's freshly rebuilt and will run for years on the current setup if I want. Runs 11 psi, bottom end is in great shape, head all rebuilt, could easily push 350 whp with a new turbo and 14+ psi, safely, all day.

Going to stay status quo for now... Go stage 2 soon on the GTI and be happy with that..... I hope lol.

Thanks again, your opinions mean a lot and I do really appreciate you taking the time to read and comment!

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
Do not get a B8 S4, car handles like a cruise ship and is underpowered, costs lots of money for tune, downpipes, test pipes, supercharger pulley, fueling, intake, etc. And IMO doesn't set itself apart to look like something special. That being said if you love the car and are willing to throw your 401k at it for it to still be slow, go for it :)

nagokart

Ready to race!
Keep them both. You have two fun cars from different eras; one that looks to be in amazing shape and getting incredibly rare to find these days. I think you will really regret getting rid of the E30.

BlueE30

Ready to race!
Going to keep them both!!! Probably keep the GTI stage 2 for a couple years while putting money away for the next ride.... thinking the wife will get an SUV and I'll made do a newer gti or a newer Golf R! But for the forseable future.... keeping both!

Love the e30 and agree would totally regret selling it. And yes, it's actually in very very good condition... to get it perfect would be coilovers, front strut bar and wasted spark setup. None of those urgent and needing to be addressed right away though. Clutch is newer and in good shape but it's OEM so I'm sure that will need to be upgraded soon.