GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Break In Questions

myMK6fool

Ready to race!
Again, drive the damn thing like you normally would. Its not going to hurt the car.

Good. That's what I've been doing. I hit 2500 miles the other day. I never really was one to worry about a "break in" period any ways. I'm making the road my bitch tonight!

I drive like a man.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Good. That's what I've been doing. I hit 2500 miles the other day. I never really was one to worry about a "break in" period any ways. I'm making the road my bitch tonight!

I drive like a man.

This is awesome. This post literally made me LOL.

ryangolfrpower

Ready to race!
Grambles, because of your info... I went stage 1+ at 350 miles on my brand new '13 R... loving EVERY second of my driving daily :-D Thanks!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Grambles, because of your info... I went stage 1+ at 350 miles on my brand new '13 R... loving EVERY second of my driving daily :-D Thanks!

:thumbsup:

sboskov

Ready to race!
This thread makes me feel so much better about how I drive my GTI haha. I bought it+- two weeks ago and I've put roughly 1700 miles on it haha. And it might have taken a little abuse ha.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I broke in my '13 GTI following methods outlined in the book and the Flyin Miata during my first 20 miles; however, it was not necessary for me to do this since VW already set the seals when they drove it off the assembly line.

Found a long stretch of road and while in 3rd or 4th gear did a slow deliberate throttle up to redline then immediately removed foot from gas and allowed vacuum to build, engine braked, down to 2000rpm then repeated the process over until I did around 10 to 15 miles.

I saw a few folks scratching their heads when I passed them and when they subsequently passed me while I engine braked.

Nick@ferrarafirearms

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know how anyone can go on a drive in a GTI and not hit 3k... It is a dream through 7k rpm , without a tune. I would have been tuned already, but my dealer convinced me to wait for the APR sale.

This is of course hypothetical, I would never tune my car...

UNFOGIVABLE

Go Kart Champion
This may be a bit off topic, but do transmissions have a break in period. I'm getting a brand new DSG and I don't want to wreck it. lol

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
It's a natural instinct to not want to beat on your car when you first get it. Often times, it's just literature to protect the OEM for the very small percentage of engine failures that happen.

For such an old engine, I wouldn't worry. Now the new EA888 series if be cautious initially. Germans aren't know for good first year runs like the Japanese are.

As for the DSG, I'd at least ensure that the fluids have circulated well for a few miles and wait for it to reach operating temp.

skyfox23

Ready to race!
So I bought my 13 GTI with 176 miles on it, I have been shifting at 3K or less and have used cruise control for several long 70 mile stretches, varying rpms just a little not much? Yesterday I drove to the coast on a very winding stretch of coast highway shifting quite a bit up and down shifting then took freeway home and cruise again at 70MPH for about 70 miles. I'm at 900 miles now. Am I ok to push it a little harder now? Have I screwed myself with the long stretches of cruise control??

NickA

When you clicked this thread, I think you forgot to read the information inside. Drive your car. It's already broken in before you buy it!!!!!!!!!! Every other post in this three page thread says that.

dfideth

I tuned mine with 330 miles and let my son take it for a spin. He came back and said he bounced it off the rev limiter. I have 450 on it now and I think its time for a tire rotation.
I'm old school and old. "I drive it like I stole It!"

phant0m

Ready to race!
Grambles, thank you for the info and first hand experiences you mentioned in the first page. Had to dig up this thread to prove to someone that they they're allowed to breach 4k rpm before they hit 5000 miles lol

yannzter

Hi.... I chipped stage 1 apr on my mk6 in 2014. I was never explained properly to switch to programs and had it in stock mode all times thinking I was changing with blink patterns( yes I'm fucked up, but tech never showed me) cud this have damaged my car bc I just figured out proper program switching wayyyyy later

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk