GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Phur

Autocross Champion
Right now, uncoded, the fog light comes on with the backup light when I put it in reverse. Will it still do that after it’s coded?

Strangely enough, I remember them being like that on the “new beetle” on the original Gran Turismo. I thought it odd at the time that the left backup light was red. [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
Also, is there really much difference between the genuine VW switches and the cheap shit on amazon other than the price?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Is there a way to make that red light white instead? I'm having the same issue with the depo lights I just got. My previous tail lights I could just swap out the bulb so I put deauto reverse leds in them and it fixed the red light issue, but the depos I don't see any way to swap the light out. Is there another light inside of there that is white that will work if I code it correctly?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Also, is there really much difference between the genuine VW switches and the cheap shit on amazon other than the price?
I got a cheap switch from eBay and had 0 issues, you do need the trigger wire though

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Phur

Autocross Champion
On my OEM tails the opening for the bulb socket has a plug in it and has no actual socket or wiring. The fog is hardwired LEDs instead of a regular bulb or lens. I’m not sure on the depos. I am choosing to embrace it.

Phur

Autocross Champion
I got a cheap switch from eBay and had 0 issues, you do need the trigger wire though

Thanks.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
On my OEM tails the opening for the bulb socket has a plug in it and has no actual socket or wiring. The fog is hardwired LEDs instead of a regular bulb or lens. I’m not sure on the depos. I am choosing to embrace it.

That's exactly what the depo are like too. No wiring or any way to get to the bulb there. The back of the socket where the reverse light would be is completely closed off.

Phur

Autocross Champion
You need a trigger wire so the rear fog works separately from the reverse.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The trigger wire just runs from the switch to the fuse box right next to it... right? I’m hoping it’s no big deal.

smanierre

Autocross Champion

pdan

Ready to race!
So I just bought an OEM front lip and am in the process of repainting it, but it didn’t come with any torx screws. I know it clips into the under shield somehow but are the torx screws already in the bumper or do they come separate?

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
Guys, i got a question.

My CEL (Check engine light) keeps switching on and off. Lets say the CEL has been on for 2 days, then it will go off for 3 days, then turn on back again for a couple days etc. But the car does act normal, nothing wrong with it.

I have noticed that the CEL goes off when i have a full tank of gas, but goes on when my tank is almost empty... It might be coincidence tho.

Hope someone knows more about this.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Guys, i got a question.

My CEL (Check engine light) keeps switching on and off. Lets say the CEL has been on for 2 days, then it will go off for 3 days, then turn on back again for a couple days etc. But the car does act normal, nothing wrong with it.

I have noticed that the CEL goes off when i have a full tank of gas, but goes on when my tank is almost empty... It might be coincidence tho.

Hope someone knows more about this.
I'd say check the o-ring on your gas cap. Probably bad and causing an evap leak. If that's not it, scan the code when it's there and post it here if it isn't obvious what it is.

GTIpowerr

Ready to race!
I'd say check the o-ring on your gas cap. Probably bad and causing an evap leak. If that's not it, scan the code when it's there and post it here if it isn't obvious what it is.

Checked the gas cap and everything seems fine. I have an almost full tank of gas now, but the CEL just popped on again.

I will scan the code tomorrow and let you know again.

Mattmj234

Golf gti stage 1

Hi guys.
My golf gti mk6 2010, I had dynoed the other day and the figures came out at 254bhp and 337pound foot of torque. What do you lot think, just stage 1 no other mods. Thanks.