GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cross shopping GTI & Subaru Legacy

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
How about you drive both and make up your mind? no one on here can tell you what you will like.

Shockwave1

Passed Driver's Ed
My last two cars have been Legacy GT's. The GTI has a nicer interior, handles better, and gets better fuel economy.

That's all it does better though. A mildly modified Legacy GT will smoke most stage three GTI's, and with suspension upgrades are capable of handling just as well. They are also a Hell of a lot cheaper to modify.

I bought my GTI after my Legacy was totalled. A pretty nasty accident that I walked away from without a scratch. If I wasn't commuting a 100 miles everyday for work I would be driving another Legacy or WRX.

I like my GTI but I don't think it will ever make me as happy as my Legacy did.

LS6V

Passed Driver's Ed
Legacy GT I am assuming , is a pretty decent drive , a loaded one is about 32k so you are out of GTI price point and there are other cars you can buy

My only remembering experience with Subaru , test drove a a 2011 WRX and walked away due to the interior

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Legacy GT I am assuming , is a pretty decent drive , a loaded one is about 32k so you are out of GTI price point and there are other cars you can buy

My only remembering experience with Subaru , test drove a a 2011 WRX and walked away due to the interior
Yep, I had a deposit down on a new STi but changed my mind because the interior is garbage. Still, snow is coming up and I know I'll be wishing for AWD

SaddleSC

I agree with you on the interior. I test drove a WRX on Monday night and the GTI on Tuesday night. Wednesday morning...I owned a 2012 GTI. The higher mpg, crisper handling and better interior refinement of the GTI really made the decision quite easy.

LS6V

Passed Driver's Ed
I test drove 2011 WRX , Mazdaspeed 3 and a Regal turbo

Investin1

If you're under 25, the WRX's insurances costs will be insane. I was quoted almost 180 bucks a month, with no accident or ticket history. I'm almost 24.

WRBlu

Legacy vs GTI

My last two cars have been Legacy GT's. The GTI has a nicer interior, handles better, and gets better fuel economy.

If you would like to justify the GTI to your mom, the fuel consumption is a better bet. I used to drive a Legacy GT, the fuel consumption is higher than GTI. You can't compare GTI with Legacy 2.5, if buying Legacy, better get the turbo version.

Off course in terms of boot space and rear passanger space, Legacy is the winner.

However, the Legacy is a heavier car than GTI, which you can feel in its cornering. WRX will definitely fare better than GTI.
Back to the comparison with Legacy, the interior of Legacy is much better than WRX, but still out of the GTI league in terms of quality and multimedia interface. You will feel much better sitting in the GTI. The seat, the steering wheels.

If you're on automatic, then GTI is an outright winner....

Stock to stock, I would choose GTI, better overall experience.

But, as Shockwave said, the mod potential of Legacy is even more, and it's more hardcore.

MK6moneyGANG

Go Kart Champion
You have a Camry now, isn't that torture enough? I'm 19 too and went through the same argument with my mom.

Yes you have a point, but we prefer having cars that aren't super reliable just to have something that's interesting, as I'm sure you know :p But if your worried about reliability, get a Civic Si and you won't have to think twice.

What's the warranty deal in the US? I got 5 year unlimited mileage which is why I got the car otherwise it would have been something else.

seems like all of us young guys have a sb

CPR

Passed Driver's Ed
OP, get the GTI. You have the rest of your life to drive a family car. Trust me on this one.

We just bought my wife an Outback and it's a great vehicle, but if the Legacy has the same body, it's not going to handle the twisties as well as a GTI. The Outback (and I assume Legacy) is definitely more of a highway vehicle.