GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much should I charge for ad-hoc computer help?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

A coworker referred me to his Mom to help her with some computer related work. She purchased a new laptop and an external hard drive and wants me to backup her old laptop and get the new one working.

Backup/export her data from her work-related applications
Backup hard drive from old computer
Install work applications on new laptop
Setup office
Import work data + configure them
+ miscellaneous items

I tried calling a local computer place to see how much they would charge and they had a flat fee of $200 for it. I'm not exactly good friends with this co-worker--more like acquaintances. I imagine this may take a few hours and/or two sessions. What would be reasonable to charge?

Thanks!

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
The usual per hour rate for at home computer help ranges from $50-$75 per hour depending on what the issues are and how long they will take to resolve, consider gas and time, depending on the old computer if it's XP then it may take a couple of hours to just backup that data... All things to think about... Lol

Sent from my iPhone

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
The usual per hour rate for at home computer help ranges from $50-$75 per hour depending on what the issues are and how long they will take to resolve, consider gas and time, depending on the old computer if it's XP then it may take a couple of hours to just backup that data... All things to think about... Lol

Sent from my iPhone

She is about 45m from my home, so 1.5 round trip. Think I should just tell her $50/hr? I was thinking of charging an up front fee + hourly or just a flat fee. Flat fee could get dangerous!

If there are noodz on HD, I'd do a 10% discount.
Totally agree. Won't find out til I get there.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
I wouldn't do flat fee. Just do 50 an hour and tell her u usually charge 75 or something like that

Sent from my iPhone

Jaber

Modero
I used to charge $55/hr + travel fees. Which back then, gas was in the high $4 range, so $15 for travel within 50mile round trip.

For Small Business, charged $65/hr.

Flat fee only for friends.

Haven't done this in a long time doe... Got tired of the b.s. from some people.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I used to charge $55/hr + travel fees. Which back then, gas was in the high $4 range, so $15 for travel within 50mile round trip.

For Small Business, charged $65/hr.

Flat fee only for friends.

Haven't done this in a long time doe... Got tired of the b.s. from some people.

$55/hr sounds good. Travel fees should be around $6 RT @ $2.50/gal. I'll stick w/ that. Would like to say, $100 for the first hour then $50 on top for every hour.