GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car is totalled from hail but still driveable.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I was asleep when the storm hit. I've never seen a hail storm so bad. It looked like the yard was covered in snow. When it ended, you could see steam from the melting hail as it flowed down the street. Really weird.

I usually get text alerts on my phone, but nothing this time. I've always had covered parking or a garage, but I'm in an unfortunate temporary situation and street parking is all I have.
I grew up in Ft Worth and remember one TERRIBLE storm back in like, 2002 or something like that - shit was between the size of golf balls and baseballs. they broke three of my uncle's home's windows. My aunt's Jeep's hood looked like someone took a sledgehammer to it.

One time, I was driving home from work around 2010 and small hail started to fall a bit. Luckily, I was driving right by a self-serve car wash and pulled right in immediately. Waited out the hail for over an hour (sure enough, it grew to about 3/4"-1" size) to make sure I wouldn't get hit on the drive home.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Man this sucks so fucking badly.... I'm scared to death of being caught in a hailstorm.

bebersol

Ready to race!
I live in Fort Worth, I feel your pain...
your car is a dark color, on a good hot day in July take some ice cubes out to your car and put them on the dimples, many will flatten out significantly. This works best on the roof, not as well on the hood, but with the money you have you could install a carbon fiber hood and it'll go great with the color car you have.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
your car is a dark color, on a good hot day in July take some ice cubes out to your car and put them on the dimples, many will flatten out significantly. This works best on the roof, not as well on the hood, but with the money you have you could install a carbon fiber hood and it'll go great with the color car you have.

Dry ice will work even better, just use some welding gloves to handle it..
I'm in Dallas and there was suppose to be a serious hail storm Wednesday night that never came. My 2011 is paid off and you bet your ass it was safely tucked in the garage. Wifes car was out front with wrestling mats tied around it. I had an SI a few years ago and it got totaled in a hail storm. I let them have it as I still owed on it and paid it off didnt like it anyway.
While it does look like shit it truly is more aerodynamic, mythbusters did a show where they had dimples and the mpg went up..just saying. You could also find a roof and chop the old one off weld new one on. Not too hard, grind the welds down throw on some bondo sand then take to paint shop.

Bill19751

Ready to race!
I've heard about the dry ice thing, can't hurt. Although if I find a new hood and fender at a salvage yard that's cheap enough into paint matches I might just try swapping it out. I did that with a passenger side door on my old Passat several years ago.

I've always had covered parking or a garage but in my current situation I'm temporarily without that

I'm not nearly skilled enough to cut off and weld in a new roof. Of course there's also this:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
That's great! Just put a half cage in it and then a bikini top! Good to go.
Where are you in Dallas? I'm in Irving off of 183, if I see your gti I will know it's you! I drive around all day for a living so its likely..

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

Off topic..I ran a modded red 4 door R down 183/820 the other day. Thought it might have been you but I see yours is grey..

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Ice cube trick, Bondo the rest, then vinyl wrap the whole car? Or just the roof and hood.

Phur

Autocross Champion