GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clean MAF for CAI install?

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
So I'm getting ready to install my cold air intake. One thing I want to make sure I get right is relocating the mass airflow sensor into the new cold air intake. When doing that do you guys usually clean it and with what? I was just going to clean it with standard mass air flow sensor cleaner. Advice appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Bump?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I've never cleaned mine but I'm going to guess that "standard mass air flow sensor cleaner" would be fine. Allowing it to thoroughly dry first of course.

As for placement, not sure which intake you are installing but something to note is that stock maf position is about 11 o'clock or so. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but since that's the way VW designed it from factory, that's the way I (and I'm sure others) position their maf.

If possible keep it in the stock housing and in the stock location as well and you should be all good. Hope this helps.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
The stock housing is absolutely essential for keeping fuel trims straight. The ECU is calibrated using the exact diameter of the stock housing, and the MAF is basically your load sensor which determines how the car runs. The direction doesn't matter. If you have an intake that wants you to put the actual MAF sensor in a tube, cut the tube and add a coupler to keep the stock housing.

As for cleaning the sensor, any electronics cleaner will do. It's definitely not needed, but if you are there and alredy have cleaner it's not a bad idea.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I've cleaned mine using CRC before and can confirm it makes a significant difference after you clean it. I did however use a different method than just spraying the maf directly. The pressure from the can makes the cleaner come out with a nice amount of force, I didn't want to damage the maf so I got a ziplock baggie, sprayed the cleaner in there and then just sort of sloshed the maf around in the baggie with cleaner and re installed. The car does run a lot smoother, I now clean my MAP, MAF, and IAT sensor at every oil change.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05110-Mass-Sensor-Cleaner/dp/B000J19XSA

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
I've cleaned mine using CRC before and can confirm it makes a significant difference after you clean it. I did however use a different method than just spraying the maf directly. The pressure from the can makes the cleaner come out with a nice amount of force, I didn't want to damage the maf so I got a ziplock baggie, sprayed the cleaner in there and then just sort of sloshed the maf around in the baggie with cleaner and re installed. The car does run a lot smoother, I now clean my MAP, MAF, and IAT sensor at every oil change.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05110-Mass-Sensor-Cleaner/dp/B000J19XSA

^ this method is much better and safer for the parts...

spray enough to pool and put the sensor in that bag and shake it around.

Be sure to let the sensor FULLY DRY before hooking it back up.

This is a good practice to do every 10k or so miles because an oiled filter will always begin to coat the sensor and will read funny. Causing rough idle and sporadic fuel trims and if bad enough misfires.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Great, now everyone has got me thinking that I should go grab a can of maf cleaner and clean mine LOL.

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Thanks for the replies all! FYI I'm installing the K&N kit (got cheap used off of ebay in good condition and I'm rehabing it now).