GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
What is your go-to resource that reviews common mk6 GTI turbo upgrade options? I'm diving into the BT threads, wondering where the best place to start is.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
What is your go-to resource that reviews common mk6 GTI turbo upgrade options? I'm diving into the BT threads, wondering where the best place to start is.

You can have a look at my post, not as detailed as Hyde's but there is a fair amount of detail and pics. LINK

MKV forum also has a Big Turbo thread LINK

vermontmk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the links.

PAG Parts recommended the G25-550 for my mk6 GTI. I'm finding very little VW-specific information about this turbo. Anyone running it? Trying to find a few options to get to 375 hp running stock internals, 3" COBB cat-back. G2-GTX2860R is also mentioned. I guess I don't really want to BT, having hard time finding sub-400hp solutions that enough people have run to make me comfortable ordering.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for the links.

PAG Parts recommended the G25-550 for my mk6 GTI. I'm finding very little VW-specific information about this turbo. Anyone running it? Trying to find a few options to get to 375 hp running stock internals, 3" COBB cat-back. G2-GTX2860R is also mentioned. I guess I don't really want to BT, having hard time finding sub-400hp solutions that enough people have run to make me comfortable ordering.

K04 sounds like the turbo for you.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

I went ko4 on a car with 143k miles, these cars should have come with this turbo as lots of people have said. I think technically you can run a ko4, downpipe and heavier clutch (in manual) and you'll be fine.
Of course intake and fmic is recommended but not mandatory imo.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thanks for the links.

As stated K04 is the way to go. Figure 6,000 for parts and tune if you are doing the work yourself and starting with a stock car. Add labor to that figure if you are having it done. I would recommend you also add water meth to get the most power out of it 500 to 900 for parts depending if you go for something like Snow or Aquamist.

Warning - once you have all that power you will want a bunch of other mods

LSD so you can put the power to both front wheels
Better tires
Better brakes
Better suspension

It pretty much doesn't end, at least that is what happened to me, twice now.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
As stated K04 is the way to go. Figure 6,000 for parts and tune if you are doing the work yourself and starting with a stock car. Add labor to that figure if you are having it done. I would recommend you also add water meth to get the most power out of it 500 to 900 for parts depending if you go for something like Snow or Aquamist.

Warning - once you have all that power you will want a bunch of other mods

LSD so you can put the power to both front wheels

Better tires

Better brakes

Better suspension

It pretty much doesn't end, at least that is what happened to me, twice now.
Can confirm, am doing this now. Have a whole lotta money into the car and I haven't even gone BT yet, just getting it ready. BBK, some misc handling and suspension bits and then I'll be ready to spend the real money.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Cars are expensive. I dumped a truck into mine to go fbo k04.
Was it worth it, yes and no.
If I had to do it again, downpipe, IC, turbo, clutch, and tires. Not my whole mod list lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk