GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Intercooler installed -but what is this?

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Well, I have the APR intercooler. I'd rather just replace the $200 radiator than switch intercoolers. :D

I have no idea if the other intercoolers have more clearance.

I do want to be clear here, this is NOT an issue with APR. The fix is probably as easy as NOT removing the sensor (like I did), but instead just spacing the radiator back a bit.

APR designed their intercooler to take advantage of all the available space. It looks like VW then added something on recent models that interferes slightly. If I had it to do over, I would have definitely gone the spacer route to start with. But I was silly and pulled the stupid sensor out of the radiator.

Do you have emissions testing in Indiana? I guess for the states that don't this could be a easy fix through software, but for states like NY that check emission sensor readiness, good luck

Bcon

Ready to race!
Do you have emissions testing in Indiana? I guess for the states that don't this could be a easy fix through software, but for states like NY that check emission sensor readiness, good luck

No testing where I live. The CEL is just a nuisance to me.

I think a software fix would need to be in the engine control module (not VAGCOM accessible). I asked my contact at APR about the possibility of blocking this CEL in the tune (like they do for the O2 sensors in the test pipe file) but their recommendation was to space the radiator back.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
No testing where I live. The CEL is just a nuisance to me.

I think a software fix would need to be in the engine control module (not VAGCOM accessible). I asked my contact at APR about the possibility of blocking this CEL in the tune (like they do for the O2 sensors in the test pipe file) but their recommendation was to space the radiator back.

Yeah that is what I was thinking, the fix could be integrated in a tune. Can't hurt to ask them.

Bcon

Ready to race!
To put an end to this... What engine code do you have?

I'm not sure it will put an end to it as far as what models have this, I personally don't have any knowledge of which cars have this radiator/sensor, I only know that mine does.

Mine is a 2012 CBFA.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
Yay! I am so glad I drove to a non-emissions state and bought a CCTA car. Add another reason to avoid PZEV.

OP, good luck getting it sorted out! Go Boilermakers. (If you like IU, sorry).

Bcon

Ready to race!
Yay! I am so glad I drove to a non-emissions state and bought a CCTA car. Add another reason to avoid PZEV.

OP, good luck getting it sorted out! Go Boilermakers. (If you like IU, sorry).

I wish I had understood the extent of the differences between CBFA and CCTA when I bought the car, they sell both side by side here (I have no idea why).

I'll get this sorted out, a PITA but not really a big deal. At least the info is getting out there for others in the future. Hopefully I can try the spacer experiment this weekend and report back.

(Not an IU or Purdue fan, I live in IN but grew up in PA and went to Pitt. ;) )

WhtGti2011

Passed Driver's Ed
2012 and up vehical's CBFA and CCTA

It is a premair sensor - the radiator is coated with special coating that as it passes through air it helps to remove emissions as the air passes through the radiator and that sensor measures/sees emissions that have been converted with the coating.

helps with the carbon credits for the vehicles. helps with importing costs and what not to keep the vehicle prices lower when shipping over seas and what now.

3D1to153

Passed Driver's Ed
I was going to go with big brother is watching.

Bcon

Ready to race!
It is a premair sensor - the radiator is coated with special coating that as it passes through air it helps to remove emissions as the air passes through the radiator and that sensor measures/sees emissions that have been converted with the coating.

helps with the carbon credits for the vehicles. helps with importing costs and what not to keep the vehicle prices lower when shipping over seas and what now.

Thanks for the info! My big question is whether it can be re-installed after being removed from the radiator and not trigger the CEL again. My guess is no, that it's meant to be tamper evident. I hope I'm wrong, but I need to get around to putting it back to answer the question.

JBravo

Passed Driver's Ed
APR needs to make note of this on their website. Had I known about this I probably would have opted for a different intercooler.