GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Intercooler installed -but what is this?

JBravo

Passed Driver's Ed
What did you or your installer do with the sensor?

I don't know. They installed it Thursday and I didn't scan my OBD till Friday night to see I had a code. They've been closed because of the holiday so I'm going to talk to them tomorrow.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
I don't know. They installed it Thursday and I didn't scan my OBD till Friday night to see I had a code. They've been closed because of the holiday so I'm going to talk to them tomorrow.

This thing is annoying. APR should just delete it in their tune, especially in states without emissions.

Bcon

Ready to race!
APR needs to make note of this on their website. Had I known about this I probably would have opted for a different intercooler.

I don't think I'd jump that far yet. I think APR is just finding out about this issue with newer cars, and there's no garauntee other intercoolers wouldn't have the same problem (except _maybe) the factory VW/Audi parts).

I agree that a code block option in the tune would be nice. Or, APR and others need to recommend a way to space the radiator back so the sensor can stay in place.

I still haven't gotten around to fixing mine yet. At least I'm getting a decent tan from the constant CEL glaring at me.

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
Hrm - does this affect all other intercoolers, or is this something that affects only APR intercoolers? I'd assume it affects every manufacturer out there - which means that us, CBFA folks, are about to get a nasty surprise when trying to install an aftermarket IC...

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
So are you telling me that nobody else on the forum with cbf has an aftermarket IC? Or is this something that only later cbf cars have? Does my 2011 cbf have this?

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
So are you telling me that nobody else on the forum with cbf has an aftermarket IC? Or is this something that only later cbf cars have? Does my 2011 cbf have this?

If I read the thread correctly, that sensor was slapped in starting 2012... so calling all 2012 CBFA engine owners with aftermarket intercoolers...!

JBravo

Passed Driver's Ed

So the shop had me bring my car back in today and they took a look at it and spoke to APR and fixed everything by using some washers to space the radiator back and mount the sensor back on no charge.

Bcon

Ready to race!
So the shop had me bring my car back in today and they took a look at it and spoke to APR and fixed everything by using some washers to space the radiator back and mount the sensor back on no charge.

Can you post back after a day or two to confirm you don't get a CEL again? That will confirm if the sensor is "tamper evident" or not (i.e. if removing it from the radiator destroys it). If it isn't and putting it back works, then spacing the radiator back certainly seems like the best option.

Thanks for the update!

JBravo

Passed Driver's Ed
Roger that.

Bcon

Ready to race!
Ok, I put the sensor back this weekend and spaced the radiator back about an eighth of an inch by putting a nylon collar/spacer on the four bolts that hold the radiator to the intercooler.

Two days and no CEL.

So, if you have a CBFA, probably 2012 and newer, and you see the sensor on the radiator - leave it there and make sure there is enough clearance between the radiator and intercooler fins for the sensor. If there isn't, space the radiator back from the intercooler with some washers or spacers.

Brexin

Ready to race!
I ran into this same issue tonight with an apr intercooler and 2012 cbfa. Saw this post the day I bought my intercooler but apr assured me that if I had an issue they'd help resolve it.

OP, when you put those spacers on did you install longer bolts? Looks like you need a 3/10ths of an inch spacer to avoid that sensor which leaves very minimal bolt threads remaining for the ic.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Bcon

Ready to race!
OP, when you put those spacers on did you install longer bolts? Looks like you need a 3/10ths of an inch spacer to avoid that sensor which leaves very minimal bolt threads remaining for the ic.

I did not. I bought longer bolts, but they were too long and bottomed out in the intercooler. The hardware store near me didn't have a bolt length in between, so I put the APR supplied bolts back in. With the spacers I used, the APR supplied bolts are marginally long enough and would be easy to strip in the aluminum intercooler. I would highly recommend longer bolts, I just need to find the right length.

On another note, this all fits. But, there sure isn't much space left behind the radiator now. The intercooler moves the radiator back quite a bit, and the spacers even more. Very compact packaging in the front of the engine bay!

Calkulin

Ready to race!
If I read the thread correctly, that sensor was slapped in starting 2012... so calling all 2012 CBFA engine owners with aftermarket intercoolers...!

I just installed a APR intercooler on my 13' CBFA(GLI) and I didn't have that sensor. So it's either a GTI only part or they removed them for 2013 MY

JBravo

Passed Driver's Ed
So far so good. I checked my obd and no issues after the fix.

SetInMotion

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping this thread because I'm currently installing an APR intercooler ony 2009 GTI with CBFA engine code, and mine also has the sensor on the front of the radiator. It wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't hitting the end tank welds. I'm going to try and space it out. If I can find the hardware.

So looks like its not just 2012's, but possibly all CBF engines.