GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
None I've seen. Local guy had a pro tune k04 from dude who apparently is awesome with cobb stuff, paid 1500, made 320whp.

Giant waste of money there. I'd be interested if they supported mkvs.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
My motor should be back from the machine shop soon.

Once it's back I guess I'll just drive it until something else goes wrong (probably the trans) then give it to carmax or some sketchball off craigslist out of anger. I'm on the same page as Erball, really over dealing with shit breaking unless I baby the car.

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
I'd love to enjoy my setup, but I've had too many issues and zero time to work on it.

Having serious flutter on boost onset and late spool as a result (25psi by 5200rpm, gtx3071r on a .82 housing). Going to pull the WG and trying upping the spring, despite having a 17psi spring in there currently. (Tail MVS)

After a clutch disk delaminating, a balance shaft seizing, and a turbo going out, i'm obviously a bit over all this fucking pointless work.

Thinking about parting and buying a mk7, or something old with a v8 and act like a redneck for a few years.

being on the topic of wg springs and pressures,

what springs for what wgs are you guys using or feel is the best for their setup?

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Honestly if my motor blows I'm just going to replace it with another stock one and ride it out.. it seems the more modded the engine = more problems. I think JR and Nick had the very least amount of issues with their built engines, but Nick you just have rods right?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Just rods (non-rifle drilled) and head studs. My head has never been touched and is creeping on 115k miles, and the whole thing sees 28-30psi daily. Honestly I'm glad I didn't go any bigger. It seems reliable as shit, spools quickly, and makes really really good power. The overall package I've been really content with.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Outside of using a catch can is there a good upgrade for the pcv system?

(for big turbo setups?)

like what? i mean you could just dump to the ground but not really anything else you can do

what springs for what wgs are you guys using or feel is the best for their setup?

14psi spring. rule of thumb is run a spring that is no less than 50% of your maximum boost pressure.

Honestly if my motor blows I'm just going to replace it with another stock one and ride it out.. it seems the more modded the engine = more problems. I think JR and Nick had the very least amount of issues with their built engines, but Nick you just have rods right?

a lot of the failures don't have to do with the build. i'm not seeing anyone chucking rods and andre's failure was fueling related. idk about eric his issues are coming out of nowhere. not sure if i just drive my car less than everybody or i'm getting lucky. my motor should be over 100k now and just has a lot of blowby. the rattle i'm hearing started after my overrev but it's getting louder so i want to just make sure everything is good.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion

Rods rifle drilled in my case, head studs after i hit 500hp since i got nervous, full farrea valvetrain.

I have 1 bar in mine now and going to up it to about 18psi, want to hold over 30psi. 50% rule seems to be on point like kevin said

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Anyone else buy spm exhaust stuff from ecs? None of my flanges mate into the vband clamps. Saving money turns into a headache.

BuiltforSin

Ready to race!
Anyone else buy spm exhaust stuff from ecs? None of my flanges mate into the vband clamps. Saving money turns into a headache.

I had a bitch making mine clamp too. It's like the v-band clamps are just a tad too small. It took 3 people to get two of mine on. I like the sound of my SPM, but I hate the fitment.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
sucks. probably scrap from their leftover parts bin. i know a lot of people bought parts though. i think james did but he has a mk5.

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
Ive been back and forth with them, the flanges are just a tad too thick.

Already cut them off and getting some new ones from ffe.