GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grambles Crossroads (House Building Thread)

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
I'm guessing being 24 ruins my credibility? Jeez. What's wrong with wanting to be responsible? No one would've ever known had I not said anything. Why is it different now?

I turned 24 two weeks ago. It doesn't ruin your credibility, it just shows you are on a different path than most here. Let's be honest, a car enthusiast forum does not usually attract the most financially responsible bunch. Hell, the financially responsible thing for me to do about my car situation was to keep driving my aztek. But I ran the numbers and decided the price of entry for my salvage mk6 was worth the combination of fun, practicality, better mpg, and the fun "project-ness" of it.

Just because you are young, successful, and family/planning-for-the future minded doesn't mean you are wrong. I think, and it seems like a lot of the guys here would agree, that you are ahead in life. :beer:

Sent via tapatalk

McQueen77

Banned
The point is it's pretty rare for a 24 year old to be ready to buy a house. You must be very well off for your location to even be able to consider that. I'm renting at 41, and a house is no where in sight for me. I guess if you can do it, go for it. Better to start early, then your house will be worth a lot more by the time youre 40. Also, don't wait till you're 40 to have kids if you plan to.. looking like i got a 2nd one on the way. ugh.. im old...

i think i love you. you're the only one on this forum that doesn't make me feel like a total fuck up. i mean that as a compliment.

Let's be honest, a car enthusiast forum does not usually attract the most financially responsible bunch.

could have fooled me. ive lost count of all the guys on this forum who go on about their homes and multiple cars and epic jobs. seems like everyone is flourishing on here, or at least they say they are

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
It comes with having to be independent when I was in high school. Long story aside I had to essentially grow up if I wanted to survive and have a decent life.

Didn't mean to get snappy there. Apologies.

So talked with the wife a little. She does most of the house searching and apparently she's been looking at stuff from 160-220. Put that through the bank math and it comes out to about 700-1300 a month give or take. That's with 3.3%. That's less than what we're paying now but would require about $13000 down payment. So anything more than that would only make that monthly number go down.

misaka

Ready to race!
i think i love you. you're the only one on this forum that doesn't make me feel like a total fuck up. i mean that as a compliment.

could have fooled me. ive lost count of all the guys on this forum who go on about their homes and multiple cars and epic jobs. seems like everyone is flourishing on here, or at least they say they are

Makes me feel better too. I just turned 35, and I am leasing my first car on my own lol, I haven't gotten close to buying a house, but am working on my student loans (185k). I will probably look to buy in about 2 years, and leave the bulk of student loans actually. Because my rate on them is next to nothing compared to a loan for a house nowadays (approximately 2.75% interest), and put more towards the house.

I understand your aversion to debt, but take a close look on the interest rate on the student loan vs your home loan. If it makes more sense to put more money into the house first, then do so, because in the end it makes more financial sense, even if it bothers you a little bit to do so.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I'm guessing being 24 ruins my credibility? Jeez. What's wrong with wanting to be responsible? No one would've ever known had I not said anything. Why is it different now?

Buy young so you can enjoy later. It will take you a few years to start recovering from the ramen but you will be glad you did.

My be eating the flavor as soup for lunch and plain noodle for dinner starting in about a month. Getting my mods in before that partial why I'm doing it now.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
160-220 to buy a house... sigh..

a shitty house in a shitty neighborhood in this town costs around 500k, and any house i would want to live in around here starts at about 750k..

misaka

Ready to race!
160-220 to buy a house... sigh..

a shitty house in a shitty neighborhood in this town costs around 500k, and any house i would want to live in around here starts at about 750k..

I know right? The ramshackle house next to where I rent that's a single floor falling apart house that's like 850 sq feet built int 1955 sold for 340k -_-;

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I know right? The ramshackle house next to where I rent that's a single floor falling apart house that's like 850 sq feet built int 1955 sold for 340k -_-;

prices are only going up too.

samuelmk666

Passed Driver's Ed
i didnt read all eight pages but i say sell your car buy a beater, and get a house. i think you must know something about the civic type R release in 2014/15. if the rumors are true snag the type R when/ if they release it.

Djmikeyd

Go Kart Champion

I say go back to stock, and keep the car. Because you know how well it was kept, serviced and you babied it. Stock gti is still faster than 85% of the traffic, and im sure if you drive normal, you will save on gas as well.

Best of luck with the house search Zach!

keep thinking this through, new ideas might come in to your head, who knows.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion

No it just shows you're on a different path. I don't know how many of us were even ready to be married at 24. Some people just know. My friend got her house when she was 21. Worked hard knew that's what she wanted to do.

So good for you. And just because you have a home doesn't mean you can't travel and do the things you want. You just have a good "home base" to start from.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
This thread is depressing how cheap housing is in some places. That 3000 sq/ft triple car garage house a couple pages back would be $700-900k here depending on the area.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
This thread is depressing how cheap housing is in some places. That 3000 sq/ft triple car garage house a couple pages back would be $700-900k here depending on the area.

TRIPLE garage and 3000 sq ft? prob 2 million here..