GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long until the MK6 R will be <$20k?

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
OP, If you like your GTI and cannot afford a current new or used Golf R then why are you even looking? If you dont need the AWD for winter driving (which you dont in NC) why not just spend your money on improving you GTI? It makes no sense to wait several years in the hope that the Golf R wil become affordable for you. Be happy with what you have, you can easily make a MK6 GTI as fast or faster than a stock R for much less money and not have to wait years for it. My GTI was much faster and more powerful than my R is but I wanted the R because of the AWD and power "potential" over the GTI, and I could afford it. If I hadent been able to afford it I wouldnt have been looking or considered it. My .02

JP

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
But its tougher to find mk4 r32 for sale compare to mk6 Rs where there are hundred of them sitting at dealer lots depreciating because noone is buying em.. I bet mk6 R will depreciate at a much faster rate compared to precious R models n approach their price very soon..

Nope, they made just about as many of the new Rs as with the previous gens'. They will continue to be rare and expensive.
The time to buy one was about 6 months ago when they were blowing them out at 5k off sticker.

Now you will get someone else's "ABused" R.

Boostaholic1

Ready to race!
I think it depends on supply and demand as usual, plus with some more desired and less production number cars. The residual always drops faster in the first year or two then tapers off.. and kind of holds, there is always a certain price point where the demand out weighs the supply right? I personally love the MKIV R never owned one, but I think this having a 4 cyl front engine and awd for handling or track use might be better looked upon due to weight transfer overall? I dunno.. just speculating really.

zrickety

The Fixer
MK4 R32 can be had for about 10k these days. MK5 R32 are the one to have IMO. VR6>FSI.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
I hope the value stays up... I've actually been considering selling mine even though I've only had it for about 10 months and have put a decent amount of money into upgrades (Stage 2+, HPFP, Intake, R8 Coils, all the shifter bushings, swaybars, KW Coils, Haldex, Downpipe, intercooler, catch can, etc).

It's my daily driver commuter and I get tired of hearing "Do you have airbags? You should take off the coil overs and put on airbags and put 80mm spacers on your wheels!" from the assorted kids that see me at gas stations or at my wife's school (she teaches Jr. High). :laugh: I'm 42, but they don't seem to realize it.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I hope the value stays up... I've actually been considering selling mine even though I've only had it for about 10 months and have put a decent amount of money into upgrades (Stage 2+, HPFP, Intake, R8 Coils, all the shifter bushings, swaybars, KW Coils, Haldex, Downpipe, intercooler, catch can, etc).

It's my daily driver commuter and I get tired of hearing "Do you have airbags? You should take off the coil overs and put on airbags and put 80mm spacers on your wheels!" from the assorted kids that see me at gas stations or at my wife's school (she teaches Jr. High). :laugh: I'm 42, but they don't seem to realize it.

The dub scene is horrible like that. Glad it's behind me.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
The dub scene is horrible like that. Glad it's behind me.

I love the car otherwise. I am not a fan of Herra Frush, or stretching tires. My cosmetic mods are always minimal... slight lowering but still very functional. My car sits at about 25.5" on the coils and the tires are inside the fenders. I am obviously in the minority for VW owners with mods. ;)

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
I love the car otherwise. I am not a fan of Herra Frush, or stretching tires. My cosmetic mods are always minimal... slight lowering but still very functional. My car sits at about 25.5" on the coils and the tires are inside the fenders. I am obviously in the minority for VW owners with mods. ;)

:laugh:

Modifying a car that performs pretty well out of the box to perform worse for just aesthetics has always driven me crazy. It was the bane of VW ownership. So many idiots. Wish there was more like you out there.