GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lou Maiuri's SPM FMIC, FX350, CTS K04 Review and Impressions Thread

glitch32

Thanks for all the info so far Lou, I'm very much considering picking up an fx350 or a revised stage 3 southbend clutch. Are you still working on the video for the fx350? Thanks! :beer:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A_Bowers

Had some interesting info on the dmfw setup this weekend. Guy at cars & coffee has an S4 with the biturbo v6.....fx400 clutch with the OEM dmfw. Chewed through the dmfw in 30k miles and had to do a whole new smfw and clutch setup. He said the disc was too aggressive for the OEM unit. Just a thought.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Which disk? Fx400 uses the full face or the 6-puck design. They use different materials, that probably contributed

butchered by autocorrect

A_Bowers

Which disk? Fx400 uses the full face or the 6-puck design. They use different materials, that probably contributed

butchered by autocorrect

He was saying it was a 3 puck design. He may have been going with a fx400 to replace his bad setup. But either way he used the dmfw with an aftermarket clutch and didn't go to well long term.

raaalph

Ready to race!
I can only find full kits and disc-only kits for the 2.7T. Plus, as XGC75 mentioned, the FX400 uses a more aggressive friction material than the FX350. Kinda seems like an apples to oranges comparison to the FX350 disc and pressure plate setup.

Edit: nevermind...I misread the product codes for the S4 kits. Still, different disc, different flywheel, different setup.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
But it does bring up a relevant question about longevity. My next question would be, how do we know the dmfw is bad?

butchered by autocorrect

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
Had some interesting info on the dmfw setup this weekend. Guy at cars & coffee has an S4 with the biturbo v6.....fx400 clutch with the OEM dmfw. Chewed through the dmfw in 30k miles and had to do a whole new smfw and clutch setup. He said the disc was too aggressive for the OEM unit. Just a thought.

A bunch of us could have told you that too! Im not sure who recommended he try that in the first place?:iono:

FX350 seems to be the strongest clutch that the OEM DMFW can survive, obviously depending on the current condition of the DMFW prior to the swap.

A_Bowers

But it does bring up a relevant question about longevity. My next question would be, how do we know the dmfw is bad?

butchered by autocorrect

Here is my thinking, the drop in disc (personal experience) has the sintered iron side which is very aggressive. One would imagine that because of its coefficient of friction , when you slip the clutch it bites hard due to that side. Well, over time as the sintered side is very grippy (say 30k or more miles) it can wear a groove into the flywheel. And as these flywheels are two pieces you run the risk of getting into the spring side.

This is all speculation at this point though.

I'm betting that's worse case scenario though. Maybe the added pressure from the aftermarket PP was a culprit as well.

TL: DR , Get a dsg. :)

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
Here is my thinking, the drop in disc (personal experience) has the sintered iron side which is very aggressive. One would imagine that because of its coefficient of friction , when you slip the clutch it bites hard due to that side. Well, over time as the sintered side is very grippy (say 30k or more miles) it can wear a groove into the flywheel. And as these flywheels are two pieces you run the risk of getting into the spring side.

This is all speculation at this point though.

I'm betting that's worse case scenario though. Maybe the added pressure from the aftermarket PP was a culprit as well.

TL:DR , Get a dsg. :)

Now I wish I did get a DSG lol