GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sputtering with a P0016 + more...

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Was out Saturday night, and as I am reversing to parallel park, my poor baby just begins to misfire insanely. Exhaust sound was fluctuating loud to quiet about 4 times per second, and my CEL was blinking. This thing was sputtering, and left me stranded.

Thankfully, I borrowed my brother's car for the rest of the night, but that doesn't remedy my problem.

I turned off the ignition, and attempted to start the car a couple of times, with the same results.

I switched back into stock tune (from 91 octane Stg 2), and attempted to start the car twice, with the same results.

I left the car for four hours to go enjoy my night, then came back to push it a few blocks to a safer spot. The engine was already cold, and I started the car twice just to have it die on me after reaching idling RPMs.

Earlier that night, I was able to borrow a general OBDII reader. I scanned for codes and saw:
P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)
P0300 Diagnostic Code - Random Misfire
P0301 Code - Cylinder #1 Misfire
P0304 Code - Cylinder #4 Misfire

I tried resetting the codes, then starting it up, but the vehicle just died after reaching idle RPMs. My MK6 has now been sitting in the dealer's service parking lot for a day after I managed to drive this fucked up piece half a mile to the service shop on Sunday afternoon. I originally had an appointment set up for Tuesday because my A/C compressor seems to have given out, but I just added one more item on my work order.

What can be the problem? I hope it is just a crankshaft/camshaft position sensor. Could it possibly be mechanical damage?

My vehicle had a little over 30K, daily driven but well taken care of, and it's had a recent change of all ignition coils and plugs.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
My first guess would have been coil pack gone bad. Dealer should be able to diagnose that quickly though.

allset

Go Kart Champion
I would say the ignition coil packs but multiple mis fires could also be the cam, adjusters and or timing. More importantly what caused it to fall out of time?

Sub'd for more info and solution

VAG Error Code: 16684

EOBD II Error Code: P0300

Fault Location:
Random/multiple cylinder(s) - misfire detected

Possible Cause:
Spark plug(s).
HT lead(s).
Injector(s).
Ignition coil(s).
Low compression.
Wiring.

VAG Error Code: 16685

EOBD II Error Code: P0301
Fault Location:
Cylinder 1 - misfire detected

Possible Cause:
Spark plug.
HT lead(s).
Injector.
Ignition coil.
Low compression.
Wiring.

VAG Error Code: 16688

EOBD II Error Code: P0304

Fault Location:
Cylinder 4 - misfire detected

Possible Cause:
Spark plug.
HT lead(s).
Injector.
Ignition coil.
Low compression.
Wiring.

VAG Error Code: 16400

EOBD II Error Code: P0016

Fault Location:
Crankshaft position (CKP)/Camshaft position (CMP), bank 1 sensor A - correlation

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON.

Wiring.
Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor.
Camshaft position (CMP) sensor.
Mechanical fault.
Timing Issue.
Camshaft Adjuster.

Possible Solutions:
Check Setting of Timing Belt.
Check Timing of Intake/Exhaust Cams.
Check Cam Adjusters as per Repair Manual.

Special Notes:
When found in 2009 Audi A4, A5 or Q5 with 3.2FSI AVE Engines, please see TSB 15-09-04.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for all of your responses. I actually did experience a faulty coil about 1,000 miles ago. My vehicle was severely pulling timing at 50%+ throttle. I replaced all 4 with OEM and Bosch spark plugs. Could it really be possible for two to go bad within that short of a period? I don't know.

Thank you for the info, Allset. P0300, 0301, 0304 could all be due to ignition coils, but is it rational to think two ignition coils failed AND my timing was thrown off at the same moment?

Car will be checked by service techs tomorrow morning, and I will reply back with results. I am hoping it is just a Camshaft and/or Crankshaft Position sensor that has caused the misalignment of timing.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Thank you for all of your responses. I actually did experience a faulty coil about 1,000 miles ago. My vehicle was severely pulling timing at 50%+ throttle. I replaced all 4 with OEM and Bosch spark plugs. Could it really be possible for two to go bad within that short of a period? I don't know.

Thank you for the info, Allset. P0300, 0301, 0304 could all be due to ignition coils, but is it rational to think two ignition coils failed AND my timing was thrown off at the same moment?

Car will be checked by service techs tomorrow morning, and I will reply back with results. I am hoping it is just a Camshaft and/or Crankshaft Position sensor that has caused the misalignment of timing.

vw has a long history of crappy coil packs, so its possible.

also, the codes didnt nessicarily get thrown at the same time, they get recorded by milage and date in the ecu, they could be days apart, vagcom or vw will be able to pull that info.

the codes just say misfires which can be caused by many things but if the cam is out of time that will def cause misfires.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
P0016 is normally a timing issue (mechanical and normally a jumped tooth), also if the car started back up after you stoped it is not a sensor. If you fix the misfires and still have and it starts you probably need a chain tensioner, chain, or other timing related issue.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
There's a TSB for timing chain tensioner going bad as mention above me

Condition
15 11 04 December 22, 2011 2028302
Engine Rattling Noises after Start, Engine Doesn't Start, Timing Chain Slipped

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Service adviser spoke with the tech and apparently it is a mechanical issue with the timing, and that is causing misfires. Car has been in all day since 830am

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Crack/cam correlation means the position of the cam compared to the crank is in a position it should NEVER be in. It probobally jumped a tooth and the pistons smashed valves. There is a TSB for the upper timing chain tensioner crapping out causing the chain to jump. The TSB has even out for a while but I haven't heard of any issues untill very recently.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Crack/cam correlation means the position of the cam compared to the crank is in a position it should NEVER be in. It probobally jumped a tooth and the pistons smashed valves. There is a TSB for the upper timing chain tensioner crapping out causing the chain to jump. The TSB has even out for a while but I haven't heard of any issues untill very recently.

I was hoping that wouldn't be, but that seems entirely so upon referencing my memory of that horrid sound... :(

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
I suppose it is getting pretty serious. I have been told they are waiting for a response from VWoA to direct them in the right direction as far as what they should do next--VWoA should be in contact within 24 hours.

Timing is definitely out of rhythm, and I have been told it is either my timing chain or my damaged valve-train...or a culmination of a failed chain and damaged valve-train :mad0259:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
basically they are waiting for approval to replace the bent valves and the timing components, or replace the whole engine.