GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust Cutout w/switch and Turboback Pics, Vids,...stay tuned for new VID

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
Exhaust Cutout w/switch VIDS now done.

UPDATE: CUTOUT VIDEOS ARE ALL DONE

ANYONE WHO CAN EMBED PLEASE FEEL FREE>>>>>>>I AM WE_TALL _DID>>>>>>WHEN IT COMES TO THAT>>>>THANKS>

HERE are the goods:

1) Uni DSG shift stage 2 cutout open: http://youtu.be/PwPJfKNAkrc
2) Uni DSG launch with cutout open: http://youtu.be/KgzO0UbC8jQ
3) Driveby 2: http://youtu.be/1mbTuPjAZ9Q
4) Driveby 1: http://youtu.be/HLQKEdK5ZHA
5) Revs and back and forth passes, camera on tripod:
http://youtu.be/ywYaJW8e784

FINALLY. I put this off so long. Anyways, it was more of a "what the hell for fun mod" just to see how it would work out. I played around with different configs and ended up cancelling a resonator from my turboback and then installed a really small one back in. So the DMH Cutout has been installed for at least a month now and I have a hidden momentary switch mounted right underneath the dash so its easier to reach even while driving. Its not overly harsh when open and actually sounds pretty damn badass especially with the DSG flash.
It was all custom done at Mandrel Bending Solutions with stainless steel and flanges. They do great work. I've painted everything with hi-temp paint. Before anyone asks....yes the turbo does hit peak boost faster and more often while on the highway due to the additional flow but it does not over-spool. Its fun to open it up and go WOT on someones ass if they are being a tool and you want to pass them. Or just to have fun in general.:23:

Bottom two vids are teaser vids.

First the pics:
By x300xspartans at 2012-02-17[/IMG]

Dyno Teaser vids with resonator delete...only running two oval res, no cat, cutout not open. Cutout open vids so come soon....I mean it this time.:lol:
First Dyno Pull:
http://youtu.be/0dbiIR4Wdms
Second Dyno Pull:
http://youtu.be/2Xftc3_YjX8

Notes: No I do not remember the numbers. They were def low as it is a Mustang dyno and a nice one to boot. I did it to make the vid and it was free because Ray at RAI is cool like that and we wanted to see what the flash (DSG) would do. Its not the best audio simply because I'm in a closed garage and fans are blowing and there is plenty other ambient noise, not to mention the speaker on my Cannon digital cam is smaller than ants. It'll be way better once I get out after this weekend and get some real vids.
Thanks everybody.

Last edited:

JoeVDub

Go Kart Champion
Very nice. I was gonna do this just for shits and giggles, but was worried about the motor for the cutout dying. In for more vids.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Hmm...hot exhaust gases by the fuel tank.

Nevertheless, its an awesome idea! I agree it should be closer to the turbo.

P

plac

damn thats a pretty sweet custom setup. you're one of the first ever.

super steve

Ready to race!
Nice exhaust! you need to make a video of the gti moving with the valve open! Also, do you mean the VW DSG update or did you get a DSG tune from unitronic or HPA?

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
Very nice. I was gonna do this just for shits and giggles, but was worried about the motor for the cutout dying. In for more vids.
Almost every part on a car will eventually fail. Just the nature of mechanical parts. The cutout has a 4 year warranty and the motor can be replaced separate from most dealers.

I would've put the cutout closer to the turbo...
If you put it too close to the turbo or any closer....you actually CAN overspool the turbo and actually lose power from my research. Also it really won't fit any wear else and the way it is now...the turn down is coming out perfectly out the side like side exhaust.

Hmm...hot exhaust gases by the fuel tank.
Nevertheless, its an awesome idea! I agree it should be closer to the turbo.
Thanks.....its actually no where near the tank. Its on the opposite side. Its also what a heat shield is for lol. Not to mention a turn down.
I've actually seen and fixed a car up that had its gas tank melt all the way through because the heat shield was gone. It was a stock 2005 Chevy Impala. Anyways I know what your saying but its completely fine.
damn thats a pretty sweet custom setup. you're one of the first ever.
Thanks buddy. Its kinda why I did it not to mention the curiousity was killing me ha. I did a lot of research and there were a few trials. I didn't see one MK6 with an e cutout or any cutout anywhere online.

Nice exhaust! you need to make a video of the gti moving with the valve open! Also, do you mean the VW DSG update or did you get a DSG tune from unitronic or HPA?
THanks......UNI STAGE 2 DSG TUNE.....its more of a crack and a bap sound now.

Holy shit...look at all that rust!
Ya dude thats actually my alignment rack at work lol.....Looks like its on the car kinda. There is actually zero rust on the entire car. I painted the whole exhaust and underbody with black hi-temp paint. Got it all over my face painting it on that same rack. haha. I use the rack cause I can just drive up on it real quick while at work and just get little shit done.
:thumbsup: Nice job!

This is really cool. I wonder if this would make any difference for me.

It will.....especially with your size turbo. It does for me. Mostly feel it on the highway and mid range. Boost spools quicker and just hits peak more often and easier. I know this because I've always ran the same gauge and have never had any boost leaks. I also replaced and checked every clamp on the cars boost system about 6 weeks ago as well. The dial tips 17psi now with ease...of course it just holds at 15psi though.

Gonna ice up tomorrow....I took any extra day off.....will try my damndest to get a vid up Sun if it blows over or at least monday because I just took that off too

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
That one pic is funny because there is no orange paint or anything on the muffler.. Its a weird reflection. The only thing that might melt is the rear break cable but i can assure you its just fine. Easy check....I can stick my hand under there and feel just how hot and the direction the exhaust is blowing. It is angled down and back. It it were that bad most of these cutouts wouldn't exist.

I understand if some of you have concerns but believe me its just the pics that are a little missleading due to angles of the shots.

Once you hear the vids I can tell ya that you'll get why I'm still liking it and leaving it on there.

Another note is that I have a block off plate made of stainless with a thick solid stainless gasket for when I need to service the cutout or if I ever just want to remove it and make i a manual cutout. The funny thing is I could really just chop off my catback with this setup. I actually took off a resonator to get it louder when it was open. Then I added a smaller one back in to get just the right sound. Point being is I could just ran two Ultimate racing resonators and left it out the side all the time permenantly. But with this setup its stealth and i wont catch shit from the po po.....I was pulled over by a trooper yesterday and he didn't bother me about anything and I just got 2 warnings. Was for lane change or something.....I was late for a date on V day.

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Well, you dynoed it to see how the DSG flash did,,,, did it help the torque any??

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
problem was....that day.....we didn't have the right harness to hook up to the trans...It was the first time I went in for the DSG flash. After that was when John from Uni and Ray got together and got the harness shipped in and got everything working again.

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
Dynoing at RAI is almost useless unless you have a before...their dyno reads super low

Ya I know it does lol. I don't even remember the numbers really. Its a nice dyno but honestly they were the only ones who could dyno the dsg right and get it to not kickdown. NGP had problems and couldnt get it to stop kicking down on their built-in floor dyno. I just did it for the hell of it.
Ray and I agree.....Quarter miles don't like. Its where all the power is put to practical use so as long as you know your motor is running 110 percent, you know your getting all the power you can out of it. Dynos are just a nice relative bench mark to have....and they are def nice for tuning too....which RAI does a lot of there.:thumbsup: