GOLFMKV

A_Bowers Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
SPM ASway bars are on order.

Review pending install.

RSB definitely going on first, and then waiting on the group buy for the Tyrol sport dead set collar kit to do the front install.

Nice! Looking forward to this -- I'm in pretty deep this year already, or I would have ordered these with my springs!

If I drop any more cash next, it has to be on their IC ... So the sway busy, they must wait.

FlyByGti1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input Bowers and Ginzo.

@Ginzo
I probably wouldn't go with a cheap setup since my suspension is a key component that I don't really want to fail on me at any point.

Maybe I'll go Shocks and Springs just because it seems like a good investment, or maybe I'll hold off. Chances are I may move in the next couple years so having the option to go lower would be nice if I was in a warmer location.

Merkle

Banned

Review pending install.

RSB definitely going on first, and then waiting on the group buy for the Tyrol sport dead set collar kit to do the front install.

This has peaked my interest. I've got some cash now and may do the RSB for a little extra edge during upcoming Auto X events.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion

Review pending install.

People keep talking about the Tyrol GB but I haven't seen anything official. Where is this info coming from? I don't want to miss it.

A_Bowers

People keep talking about the Tyrol GB but I haven't seen anything official. Where is this info coming from? I don't want to miss it.

Hyde16 had it in one of his threads. Its supposed to start 1st of may according to his thread.

A_Bowers

I know some ppl have been skeptical of the sizes of these bars, but with them being solid, that's going to help out as well.

The car doesn't need too much more, in the handling dept, just enough sway reduction to keep the body from rolling so much.

Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of mechanical grip in the system, but the body roll is killer.

There has also been talk of sways overpowering the dampers.

A slightly softer sway I think will help that out, without compromising the intended purpose of an aftermarket sway.

A_Bowers

XB is in and looking mighty fine.

Fouled up one nutsert, but thankfully I had 5 in the kit. Dunno If that's normal, but it was there.

Initial impression is WHOA!

I felt the UB help a ton when it went on, and this just ties the whole rear of the car together.

This is amazing. It is snappy and follows the front track of the car beautifully.

More impressions to follow after a nice drive tomorrow or Saturday.

Sways are going to make this that much sweeter.

A_Bowers

On to the install suggestions.

The brace top bolt holes should be up higher on the rear strut housings. Where the 4 spot welds are. I made the mistake of having them a bit lower the first time around and got to the point of drilling two holes and realized my mistake. Whoops.

I had access to a drill bit called a Uni-bit, ie a step drill. Wrapped the 1/2 line with a few wraps of electrical tape to see how deep i needed to go as to not get too far in.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/drill-bits/unibit-step-drills

Used a round file to get the holes sized up correctly, and then tapped them in with a hammer and a block of wood per the instructions from UniBrace.

Nutsert tool is indispensable for this job.

Measure twice, drill once. Had no binding, no issues going in.

This isnt a hard job, but if you arent DIY savvy, then i suggest you get someone whos done it before to do it.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I agree totally. It is a bit a task to get everything out, including the seats. Patience is key with the XB install.

A_Bowers

I agree totally. It is a bit a task to get everything out, including the seats. Patience is key with the XB install.

I had THE HARDEST time with the dang middle seat belt anchor. Getting it back in the bolt hole was RIDICULOUS!!!!! I would have had this done in 2 hrs if it wasnt for that dang bolt!

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
I still haven,t got it back in... Been like 10 months. Fiddled with it for over an hour the first time. Luckily never had more than 3 people in the car. Need to try and fix that tomorrow. And tips? I couldn't seem to find a comfortable way to work on it, and it's impossible to see in there.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Plus you have to hold the seat. Gotta work that out tomorrow, or I'm just going to have the dealer do it.

A_Bowers

I still haven,t got it back in... Been like 10 months. Fiddled with it for over an hour the first time. Luckily never had more than 3 people in the car. Need to try and fix that tomorrow. And tips? I couldn't seem to find a comfortable way to work on it, and it's impossible to see in there.

Get a headlamp so you csn see. take both backs to the seat off, and lay the larger one down with the belt as close to the hole as possible.

I had to pull the bottom seat cushion up a bit to get it in. I also had the spare and rear Styrofoam removed so I could sit in the rear of the Car.

Noize

Go Kart Champion
W.ALK, UB XB and sways are going to be handling Bliss.

Man, I wish. Everything I've done and it's loads better than stock, but I just can't bring it home. I think super high level summer tires will help most of all, can't afford a Wavetrac and installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.