GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

fd2black

Karma Police
Had a rattle that at startup for the past couple weeks. Found this thread, and brought my car into the dealer.
They are replacing both the timing chain tensioner, and timing chain just to be safe. All covered under my CPO warranty. I'm glad I caught it early after reading some of the stories in this thread.

fast2ghl

Ready to race!
I had my tensioner replaced at 94k miles to be safe. One positive thing I've noticed, the rattle at low speeds is greatly diminished. I've had that rattle since I bought the car and the dealer said it was normal, so I've lived with it the whole time.

I'm talking about the rattle when slowly coming to a stop and then lightly accelerating (in the 2-10mph range).

That rattle you're hearing at low speeds is the Watergate actuator rod on the stock IHI turbo. Its known to cause that rattle at the speeds and conditions you described. I had it on my car, there is a TSB for it, the dealers are aware. Its a small metal clip they install over the rod to help secure it and silence the rattle.

The Ginkneb

Ready to race!
My 2 cents

Yo guys, my story took a little turn the other day but it is definitely relevant to the thread.

TL;DR, Rattle, dealership stumped, chain off 6 teeth, replaced chain and tensioner, still rattle, two days later engine go clack clack rumble clack sputter sputter clack stall. Chain is FINE. Pulling bottom end to check for metal shavings.

I am APR stage 1. About a week and a half ago I took the car in because I had one of the many rattling noises that amazingly can't be located. It sounds like a metal broom handle being dragged down a metal railing quickly, and can be made to steadily rattle at constant partial throttle. My dealership (Ourisman VW in Laurel, MD) spent a few days with it and couldn't figure it out at all. What they did figure out was that my chain was off 6 teeth and the tensioner was on it's way out. The car had seemed fine other than the noise, but I HAD noticed a slight shudder at idle for some time.

Some time after they did this diagnosis I get call from the service writer. He says the VW tech line has determined my car is chipped and has told them they should stop working on the car and that this is "very big problem". He said he had never heard of someone chipping their car while still under warranty.

Whatever dude. I did my homework before I pulled the trigger on the tune, and accepted the LIMITED consequences. When he said that kind of thing would void the CPO warranty, I had to explain in short that it isn't that black and white, and that the timing chain shouldn't be affected since I didn't increase the rev-limit. He was surprisingly understanding and said he had to chat with his guys. :fighting0030:

Hour later, calls back, "we hung up on the tech line and we are just going to finish up the replacement and submit it as warranty work." He also tried the TSB wastegate actuator clip to no avail. Great, looks like this guy is getting 10's on his survey.

Get the car back after the weekend (Tuesday) and it's running very smooth but the noise is definitely just as bad, if not a little worse. After being on the highway for about 20 minutes, I come to a red light and idle drops way low, bouncing around from 300-800 RPM and running very rough, almost stalling itself out. Shut it down and pushed it off the road, terrified for the fight that would ensue with VW. Waited 6 hours in total for a tow but w/e :mad0259:

Dealer took it back in and found that the timing chain was perfectly fine and didn't cause the breakdown. They should get back to me about what they find in the pan tomorrow. Either way, the service writer has definitely been on my side and seems to think he will be able to get me a new motor no problem and said he won't be calling the tech line. If he finds metal in the bottom end he said it'll be a pretty cut-and-dry swap. Otherwise probably just a cylinder head.

Join hands with me as I pray to the warranty gods for a swift and tidy claim.

I have to say for anyone with a tune it seems like it may have been a good idea to bring it up with him before he got me flagged because he didn't know about it (I think I got flagged...).

goforbroke

Another chain tensioner saga

2009 Sportswagen, 2.0 TSI, 106k miles, CPO at 66k miles

Rough starting/running, towed to dealer in WV (a thousand miles from home) and after some back and forth, diagnose with bent intake valves. $4000 later I am fixed.

VW rejects any claim, I decide to take them to small claims court with hearing coming up in three weeks. Yesterday I get a call from VWOA asking for some details (I assume they have the record from the repair) and it seemed as if the rep was trying to determine what I knew and when I knew it. I have recorded all relevant posts from this thread, have copy of the TSB.

She stated that they wanted to see if they would compensate me, but not sure how I should handle this, any suggestions??

dopedpanda

Ready to race!
2009 Sportswagen, 2.0 TSI, 106k miles, CPO at 66k miles

Rough starting/running, towed to dealer in WV (a thousand miles from home) and after some back and forth, diagnose with bent intake valves. $4000 later I am fixed.

VW rejects any claim, I decide to take them to small claims court with hearing coming up in three weeks. Yesterday I get a call from VWOA asking for some details (I assume they have the record from the repair) and it seemed as if the rep was trying to determine what I knew and when I knew it. I have recorded all relevant posts from this thread, have copy of the TSB.

She stated that they wanted to see if they would compensate me, but not sure how I should handle this, any suggestions??

Think it depends how much they will compensate you. You are out of warrenty after all, so not much for you to hold against them after all.

If they will cover a large amount, i wouldn´t bother with the court, after all, you don´t know how thats gonna turn out, and if you take it to court, i doubt they will compensate you if you don´t win.

zrickety

The Fixer
You have no case. I agree the tensioner is a problem but when the warranty is gone we're on our own.

goforbroke

You have no case. I agree the tensioner is a problem but when the warranty is gone we're on our own.

The great thing about sites such as this, is that we get the benefit of all sorts of experiences. Perhaps you have had an experience with out of warranty problems that were NOT covered in some way. My experiences have been different, on three occasions.

#1 1998 Audi A4 V6, had a major repair on the front end (about $1000) several years after the warranty expired. A year or two later, as a result of a class action su it, VW sent me a check for the repair.

#2 1999 Aud A4 1.8t, same story as the aforementioned, another check for around $1000 came my way.

#3 1998 Passat, clogged sunroof drains runied the "brain" under the left rear passenger compartment, $1500 repair, again, some years later a check from VW to cover the out of warranty repair.

For sure, these were as a result of class action suits, which until now do not apply in my case. But, there have been some who have had their problem covered even out fo warranty. I always have the car serviced at the VW dealer (my past experiences have led me to this, they have a record of all the services) and my local dealer can advocate for me. Unfortunately, the repair was made while on an out of town trip.

rusty

Ready to race!
can someone tell me if this still normal or not, don't mind the video I just placed my phone close to get the sound. The car runs fine not unless it should or could be better or more than what I thought is fine. stage 2. You can tell the sound is coming of from the left side where the tensioner is if that helps? Thanks.
Or should I record it farther from the engine? I wanted to record it closer to get that ticking sound more clear or louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFtLKUEJ1A&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

mfractal

Ready to race!
can someone tell me if this still normal or not, don't mind the video I just placed my phone close to get the sound. The car runs fine not unless it should or could be better or more than what I thought is fine. stage 2. You can tell the sound is coming of from the left side where the tensioner is if that helps? Thanks.
Or should I record it farther from the engine? I wanted to record it closer to get that ticking sound more clear or louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFtLKUEJ1A&feature=youtu.be
Video is private

lightvw

How common is this problem and is this problem something I should be concerned about with my Powertrain Limited Warranty about to end? I've already had to have my intake manifold replaced and I'm also in the water pump club as well. My car's production date was 09/05/2011.