GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

Airpie

As someone who just went through this 3 weeks ago, I wouldn't even bother with Volkswagen Customer Care. I would push the dealer as they can put a bit more pressure on Volkswagen. My experience with Customer Care was 'sorry sir you're outside your warranty period and we can't help'. Nothing more.

Actually just got an email from them. They are going to install a new engine and pick up 70% of the cost. Total cost to me out of pocket will be $2,130 says the service consultant. Pretty fucking cool. I was totally not expecting that...... But thank you VW! No longer looking at Civics and Hyundais makes me feel fucking awesome.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Actually just got an email from them. They are going to install a new engine and pick up 70% of the cost. Total cost to me out of pocket will be $2,130 says the service consultant. Pretty fucking cool. I was totally not expecting that...... But thank you VW! No longer looking at Civics and Hyundais makes me feel fucking awesome.

I get where you are coming from as you could have been left holding the bag, but I still wouldn't feel awesome having to pay a share of over 2 grand to replace an engine in a 5 year old car.

sdremsw

I get where you are coming from as you could have been left holding the bag, but I still wouldn't feel awesome having to pay a share of over 2 grand to replace an engine in a 5 year old car.

I've just heard from another dealer in the bay area that some GTIs of this generation have a warranty extension on the timing chain tensioner and that there's a possibility the whole thing should be covered under warranty.

Still looking in to it but will post up any details

heapaleap

I've just heard from another dealer in the bay area that some GTIs of this generation have a warranty extension on the timing chain tensioner and that there's a possibility the whole thing should be covered under warranty.

Now wouldn't that be some great news. It'd make more sense than a full recall I'd imagine. Keep us posted.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!

Please do keep us posted as this is the first I heard of this.

zrickety

The Fixer
I doubt it. Just CPO cars I bet.

nickp1

Ready to race!
Has anyone reported a later model mk6 tensioner failing? I have a 2014 manufactured in late 2013 curious if I should be worried.

VWconsumer

Hi all,

I eventually found my way here after my MK 6 Golf GTI 2010 suffered a total engine failure a few weeks ago.

I have posted details on another thread titled "total engine failure".

Basically, a piston has dropped down into the engine block and a piston has contacted the spark plug. Engine is seized. Most probably caused by a timing chain having slipped, so several mechanics think without stripping down the engine.

I live in Australia, and so am afforded quite consumer friendly fair trading laws.

I am coming to the opinion that VW knew that the timing chain tensioner was an issue on this 2010 Golf, which went on to cause a catastrophic failure of my engine. If can prove this in court, then the car was probably not fit for use.

As such, i am now considering suing VW Australia.

Thought on this please?

Also, does anyone know of any TSB relating to timing chain tensioners in Australia pls? My engine model number is CCZ

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Hi all,

I eventually found my way here after my MK 6 Golf GTI 2010 suffered a total engine failure a few weeks ago.

I have posted details on another thread titled "total engine failure".

Basically, a piston has dropped down into the engine block and a piston has contacted the spark plug. Engine is seized. Most probably caused by a timing chain having slipped, so several mechanics think without stripping down the engine.

I live in Australia, and so am afforded quite consumer friendly fair trading laws.

I am coming to the opinion that VW knew that the timing chain tensioner was an issue on this 2010 Golf, which went on to cause a catastrophic failure of my engine. If can prove this in court, then the car was probably not fit for use.

As such, i am now considering suing VW Australia.

Thought on this please?

Also, does anyone know of any TSB relating to timing chain tensioners in Australia pls? My engine model number is CCZ

Not sure if a tensioner failure would cause a piston to drop. Sounds like you had another underlying issue and when the tensioner broke it caused other failures too.
Good luck getting it all sorted out.