GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
you'll likely need a mirror and extension to get the proper angle. Can buy one on amazon for a few bucks, or your local parts store would have them most likely

Searched the forums for a while and found a contact that people use out of texas, ryan mata, I messaged him on FB and he got back to me asking for my VIN. He advised me that I have the updated tensioner...super happy to hear that. Next time I get under the car for whatever reason, I'll likely check it anyway to be safe. My car was manufactured 7/12 and has the updated tensioner, may be good to know for others but that isn't a guarantee obv

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
How do I know when my engine was built?

In your door jam on the drivers side, it'll have a manufactured date. Should be a white label

LAGP

Ready to race!
I want to share my experience on this matter, I managed to change the tension er but somehow I screw with the timing on the crankshaft sprocket, the engine idle was rough and the ECU put out a crank position error code.

I thought that I would have to disassemble all 3 chains in order to time it correctly. But since I was not happy about that I figured I would try something easier and it works.

Here is how I did it:
1 Line up the timing marks on the damper and cover.
2 Remove damper
3 Insert a 90 degree pick (like the ones used to remove o rings) in the bolt hole and find where the sprocket and crank meet, pull the sprocket out to disengage it from the crank.
4 Remove spark plug on cylinder 1 and insert a dial gauge and set it on the top of the cylinder.
5 Here comes the tricky part, to rotate the engine while keeping the timing chains still on the timing marks, remove starter and insert a flat screw driver in order to turn the flywheel from the starter gear.
6 While turning the engine slowly find TDC with the gauge and now the crank and timing chain are back in line.
7 Put damper back and torque it.

I did this and it fixed the problem.

BringerOdeath

Ready to race!
I want to share my experience on this matter, I managed to change the tension er but somehow I screw with the timing on the crankshaft sprocket, the engine idle was rough and the ECU put out a crank position error code.

I thought that I would have to disassemble all 3 chains in order to time it correctly. But since I was not happy about that I figured I would try something easier and it works.

Here is how I did it:
1 Line up the timing marks on the damper and cover.
2 Remove damper
3 Insert a 90 degree pick (like the ones used to remove o rings) in the bolt hole and find where the sprocket and crank meet, pull the sprocket out to disengage it from the crank.
4 Remove spark plug on cylinder 1 and insert a dial gauge and set it on the top of the cylinder.
5 Here comes the tricky part, to rotate the engine while keeping the timing chains still on the timing marks, remove starter and insert a flat screw driver in order to turn the flywheel from the starter gear.
6 While turning the engine slowly find TDC with the gauge and now the crank and timing chain are back in line.
7 Put damper back and torque it.

I did this and it fixed the problem.

Crank position sensor will give you a CEL right? That's an awesome way of correcting it! Luckilly we didn't mess anything up and have to do this

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
106k kms? About 66k miles. My 2011 has 56k. Time to start worrying.

Compression test confirmed that the cylinders are making zip for pressure. Fantastic.

This is one of those things where you think "won't happen to me" but I guess I've hit the jackpot :thumbdown:

Driftin

My 2011 just received a new tensioner, my car was a 12/10 build date. No noise at startup but I changed it anyway. The old tensioner looked very good at 44k miles.

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know of any recent instance where the dealer fixed these engines out of warranty after a tensioner failure, or are we SOL?

MK6NGT

Ready to race!
My build date is 7/12 and I have the updated tensioner. I was able to confirm by sending my vin to someone that I read about itt, ryan mata. FB pm'd him and he checked, stated I have the updated tensioner, super happy. Also spoke with my dealer as my car is still cpo, they said it's only covered if it fails under powertrain through aug of next year. Makes sense.

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know of any recent instance where the dealer fixed these engines out of warranty after a tensioner failure, or are we SOL?

I haven't read of a single instance where a dealer has fixed this out of warranty.

I guess that I really need to bite the bullet and spend the $1250 to get this fixed. My 2012 has 60,500 miles on it. It runs absolutely perfectly, but it sounds like one day, completely out of the blue it might just explode on me and then I get to pay 4-5 times that amount for a repair or a new engine.

oldtype2

Ready to race!

There is TSB out on it so VW is aware of it but not enough of a problem to issue a recall. If you're out of warranty, all you can do is file a claim with VWOA.

If you plan to take it to a dealer for repair, I would put everything back to stock if you're tuned or any power train mods.

Sent from oldtype2 using Tapatalk Pro

sijray21

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't read of a single instance where a dealer has fixed this out of warranty.

I guess that I really need to bite the bullet and spend the $1250 to get this fixed. My 2012 has 60,500 miles on it. It runs absolutely perfectly, but it sounds like one day, completely out of the blue it might just explode on me and then I get to pay 4-5 times that amount for a repair or a new engine.

i'm in the same boat...

debating on whether to trade the car in or get it fixed. i have a 2010 with 106k+ miles and it has been flawless (aside from the carbon on the intake valves and a couple warranty issues that were taken care of). i feel like i have a unicorn Gti. No water pump issues, no rattles, no clutch issues, etc. :knocksonwood:

I spoke with a service adviser today that mentioned that typical timing chain failures came with owners not using VW-spec oil and/or going the typical 10k miles between oil changes. that made me feel a little better since i only use dealer castrol oil and i change it every 5-6k miles (original owner).

GTIguy30

Passed Driver's Ed
i'm in the same boat...

debating on whether to trade the car in or get it fixed. i have a 2010 with 106k+ miles and it has been flawless (aside from the carbon on the intake valves and a couple warranty issues that were taken care of). i feel like i have a unicorn Gti. No water pump issues, no rattles, no clutch issues, etc. :knocksonwood:

I spoke with a service adviser today that mentioned that typical timing chain failures came with owners not using VW-spec oil and/or going the typical 10k miles between oil changes. that made me feel a little better since i only use dealer castrol oil and i change it every 5-6k miles (original owner).

Every car is different. My 2011 GTI had 5k oil changes with Castrol from 21k to 60k. 5k oil changes with Motul from 60k to 85k. I had zero performance mods, only cosmetic that entire time. I did all scheduled maintenance as well.

At 85k I changed it preemptively at a local shop. My chain had stretched over 1 inch, exhaust had skipped 1 tooth and the tension itself was nearing the end of its extension.

I think all the data points on here suggest that while frequent oil changes with good oil help, it does not prevent it. it's one of those things that just happens to some cars. not much for warning either and no magic elixir other than replacing it early.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I just replaced my timing chain tensioner as preventative maintaince. 2010 GTI with 83k miles. The tensioner I pulled out of my engine looked and felt perfectly fine, no signs of damage or showing that it was going to fail like other examples I've seen posted.