GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rotamass Crank Pulley

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Will be ordering this today

Thomason84

Ready to race!
Please type up a review once you get it in. I am debating on my next mod and need more info on how much this helps the GTI.

info@eurocode

Ready to race!
Hello! Google alerts directed me here. Thank you for bringing up a discussion about our product. Our RotaMass LWCP is not a harmonic balancer such as one that you would find on a pushrod style V8 motor with no internal balancing. The 2.0TSI has a fully balanced rotating assembly from the factory and does not reply on the crank pulley to assist in the balancing of the engine (it has a couple of counter rotating balance shafts).

The factory pulley is dampened in its design to reduce noise vibration and harshness (NVH) which is a process of engineering in modern automobiles to provide an experience to driving that the engineers feel is acceptable. An example of this would be the piping of noise into the cabin of a GTI to simulate the rush of power when you accelerate and/or the sound box (muffler) that is attached to the intercooler hose on an Audi A4 to reduce the sound of the turbo in the cabin (similar motor, however polar opposite engineering approach).

With that being said we have tested the pulley for over 50K miles on many vehicles and it performs great. This testing took place over three years and we used both Audi A4s and VW GTIs concurrently to gather data. We used stock GTI’s, APR programmed, APR K04 and APR Stage III+ with fully built internals too! The RotaMass LWCP is fully balanced and is concentric to +/- .002 of an inch.

In all of the testing we have performed as well as the customers who are running our RotaMass, none have reported back that they can notice any increase of NVH.

We put quite a bit of thought behind our product and tested it to the nines before we chose to release it. Every detail was examined to include providing a complimentary installation tool for the do-it-yourselfer.

The horsepower increase is mild (you will see about 9WHP measured with a dynapack hub dyno) and there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration.

If anyone has any further questions or would like to continue the discussion feel free to send and email to info@ecodetuning.com

We are a stand-up company and have been developing products for Volkswagens and Audis since 2001. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post. Moderators, this is not a solicitation for sales, we have a vendor of ours who is a Golf MKV/MKVI advertiser who is going to introduce this product on your forum.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Hello! Google alerts directed me here. Thank you for bringing up a discussion about our product. Our RotaMass LWCP is not a harmonic balancer such as one that you would find on a pushrod style V8 motor with no internal balancing. The 2.0TSI has a fully balanced rotating assembly from the factory and does not reply on the crank pulley to assist in the balancing of the engine (it has a couple of counter rotating balance shafts).

The factory pulley is dampened in its design to reduce noise vibration and harshness (NVH) which is a process of engineering in modern automobiles to provide an experience to driving that the engineers feel is acceptable. An example of this would be the piping of noise into the cabin of a GTI to simulate the rush of power when you accelerate and/or the sound box (muffler) that is attached to the intercooler hose on an Audi A4 to reduce the sound of the turbo in the cabin (similar motor, however polar opposite engineering approach).

With that being said we have tested the pulley for over 50K miles on many vehicles and it performs great. This testing took place over three years and we used both Audi A4s and VW GTIs concurrently to gather data. We used stock GTI’s, APR programmed, APR K04 and APR Stage III+ with fully built internals too! The RotaMass LWCP is fully balanced and is concentric to +/- .002 of an inch.

In all of the testing we have performed as well as the customers who are running our RotaMass, none have reported back that they can notice any increase of NVH.

We put quite a bit of thought behind our product and tested it to the nines before we chose to release it. Every detail was examined to include providing a complimentary installation tool for the do-it-yourselfer.

The horsepower increase is mild (you will see about 9WHP measured with a dynapack hub dyno) and there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration.

If anyone has any further questions or would like to continue the discussion feel free to send and email to info@ecodetuning.com

We are a stand-up company and have been developing products for Volkswagens and Audis since 2001. Thank you very much for taking the time to read this post. Moderators, this is not a solicitation for sales, we have a vendor of ours who is a Golf MKV/MKVI advertiser who is going to introduce this product on your forum.

Thanks for the clarification (mk666gti)

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Not worth it. At all. I had one on my old car and all it did was cause problems. It was an underdrive pulley and the only "benefits" I saw from it were flickering headlights.

On a car where a tune gets you 30 WHP, why the hell would you bother with the possibility of 9 crank HP and elimination of a part designed for engine longevity?

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Not worth it. At all. I had one on my old car and all it did was cause problems. It was an underdrive pulley and the only "benefits" I saw from it were flickering headlights.
What were you driving? It should be clear by now that not all cars and situations are the same.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
What were you driving? It should be clear by now that not all cars and situations are the same.

The stock pulley is larger and has a dampener on it. You will be underdriving the accessory components, thus putting higher strain on the alternator for example, and adding vibrations to the crankshaft. How is this a good idea? If you want to fry your alternator and damage engine bearings for "up to 9 HP" then go ahead, I'll pass.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Sub'd.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I visited my friends from Eurocode Tuning today during their VW/Audi mini-meet. I didn't expect them to do much else besides flashing cars to allow people to take advantage of the APR sale before it ends, but they were able to squeeze in the Rotamass Crank Pulley install for my car, which they did at an unbeatable price. The install took about 45 minutes beginning to end, but having a lift undoubtedly made it easier and quicker.

I didn't drive the car for a few hours after the install and hung around the shop. When it came time to leave, I was anxious to see how the Rotamass changed the experience of driving the car. The first surprise came before even driving the car, immediately upon turning the ignition key: the motor cranked and started noticeably quicker, which makes sense since the load on the starter is reduced. At idle I couldn't hear or feel any difference from what I'm used to.

I pulled away from the shop and continued to try to sense sounds and vibrations that I wasn't used to, but couldn't detect any. Moving with traffic towards the freeway I put on the A/C, and soon got cool air coming from the vents. I couldn't really goose it on the surface streets and the meter was on at the freeway on-ramp, so there was just a brief full-throttle run before I had to let off and merge onto the busy 405 freeway. There seemed to be more urgency when accelerating, but one quick sprint was really not conclusive.

The rest of the freeway driving was uneventful, the car didn't seem much different from what I'm used to. The A/C soon cooled down the cabin, and there was no CEL for insufficient alternator current or anything like that. I got home twenty minutes later and parked the car for a couple of hours before leaving again around 8PM to go to dinner.

With the roads far less busy now (and driving on surface streets except for a sprint on the 10 freeway on the way back), I got to exercise the mid-range quite a bit. I'm driving the DSG mostly in manual these days, and the improvement in throttle response from idle to around 3500 RPM is nothing short of remarkable. The engine is much more lively, more than the estimated 9 HP gain would seem to suggest. I remember reading the first impressions of the Audi owner linked to earlier in the thread who said the mid-range was very addictive now, and I agree.

There was also a comment made in this thread which dismissed the benefits of the Rotamass and that suggested to "just go BT". Maybe it was meant as a joke, but I'd like to suggest that those with larger turbos would especially benefit from the Rotamass because larger turbos spool later. Once boosting you'd be hard-pressed to detect the extra 9 HP the Rotamass gives you back, but until then any reduction in parasitic loss is very welcome and very noticeable.

The only downside I see is for people who live in extremely hot climates and who are often stuck in slow traffic. The undercranking mean that the A/C won't cool the air quite as much. At highway speeds it shouldn't make much difference, but when you're sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic it might. My A/C still worked fine on surface streets, but the stock pulley would provide cooler air at the same engine speeds.

Here are some pictures: #1 and #2 are the stock pulley, #3 and #4 are the Rotamass, #5 and #6 are some of the cars that showed up, and #7 is the owner of Eurocode Tuning, Mr. David Sarabi, manning the grill and tending to hot dogs, burgers, and some corn.

Thanks David and everyone at Eurocode Tuning!

Attachments

• P4279734.jpg
    P4279734.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 283
  • P4279735.jpg
    P4279735.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 256
  • P4279737.jpg
    P4279737.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 282
  • P4279743.jpg
    P4279743.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 270
  • P4279747.jpg
    P4279747.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 261
  • P4279750.jpg
    P4279750.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 252
  • P4279752.jpg
    P4279752.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 255

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie
PRND...Great write up! :thumbsup: I'm sure many of the MK6 enthusiast, like myself, appreciate honest feedback. THANK YOU!
Not sure why the concern on this particular upgrade performance part but I'm considering it to gain a little extra turbo "spool-up" and driving enjoyment. :)
One issue I haven't seen mentioned from the some of the concerned folks is that if this lightweight pulley is so bad for this particular VW/Audi 2.0T engine then the "manual" people that bought new clutches with a lightweight flywheel are doomed because that's the same performance engineering design at the other end of the crankshaft. :rolleyes:

Last edited: