GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Data Logging Compendium

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
12' GLI / APR v2 K04 93oct with stock exhaust..

They seem to follow the typical APR pattern. I have a feeling the UNI 2+ tune with higher timing would help with the lack of responsiveness I am yearning for!

:thumbsup:

Stock exhaust? Including downpipe?

I'm also curious how people expect to add more timing if you're already pulling timing...

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
Stock exhaust? Including downpipe?

I'm also curious how people expect to add more timing if you're already pulling timing...

He's running a 3" DP to OEM CB.

I think the thought is APR has less timing, more boost. Typically shows 2-5 degress of timing pull.

UNI has more timing, less boost. Seem to show 0-2 timing, but less regularly.

Time will tell if the logs back up this thought process.

A_Bowers

Bronson or Arin, any observations as to why the folks, myself included are pulling timing so much?

Bronson and I spoke a bit about filing up with a different brand of fuel and relogging, but the timing pull seems to be an across the board thing.

I've run nothing but Sunoco 93 for the life of the car, and it has yielded zero issues.

I'm only asking this out of the search for data and understanding for this occurrence.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Bronson or Arin, any observations as to why the folks, myself included are pulling timing so much?

If you're not pulling any, then there's more room to go up and it's normal. You'll pull timing stock. Some pull more than others.

Interestingly enough we recently had a car come in that was tracked pretty heavily and was near an oil change. The oil vapors lower ignition advance and a heavely tracked vehicle with high mileage on the oil will see see more introduced into the cylinders. The vehicle that came in for service was pulling quite a bit of ignition, even on the stock calibration. We tested with race fuel to see if it was real, and sure enough it went away. We drained the tank and returned to 93 and the pull came right back. After changing the oil and a few passes on the road the car was back to normal with only minimal ignition pull on the stock map.

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion
If you're not pulling any, then there's more room to go up and it's normal. You'll pull timing stock. Some pull more than others.

Interestingly enough we recently had a car come in that was tracked pretty heavily and was near an oil change. The oil vapors lower ignition advance and a heavely tracked vehicle with high mileage on the oil will see see more introduced into the cylinders. The vehicle that came in for service was pulling quite a bit of ignition, even on the stock calibration. We tested with race fuel to see if it was real, and sure enough it went away. We drained the tank and returned to 93 and the pull came right back. After changing the oil and a few passes on the road the car was back to normal with only minimal ignition pull on the stock map.

1. So to that mindset, if UNI logs are showing no timing pull, they could be running their tune more aggressively?

2. That's a fair comment, but the logs are regularly showing timing pull with APR V2 in the range of 2-5 degrees. Are you saying this is normal for the tune?

Last edited:

A_Bowers

I can write that off for sure. My oil was changed just after my flash was done. And I have less than 1000miles on the k04 setup.

I noticed what NS wrote about his theory on the differences, would that be close to actuality?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I was not saying that's why you're pulling timing, it was just an example of how timing can be pulled for many different reasons and also noting it can and will pull on a stock calibration too.

I would not be worried about pulling a few deg of timing. As I said, it's fairly normal and if you're not pulling any, there's more room to go up. If it becomes a problem, the ECU will reduce power and will gradually lower advance. If you are still worried for some reason, run the 91 octane program. It has less advance.

FLtrooper

Go Kart Champion

Please read below..

I think the thought is APR has less timing, more boost. Typically shows 2-5 degress of timing pull.

The UNI logs show little to no timing pull and more over all timing yet it seems pretty consistent (including my logs) that The APR logs pull timing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong???

:p

A_Bowers

I was not saying that's why you're pulling timing, it was just an example of how timing can be pulled for many different reasons and also noting it can and will pull on a stock calibration too.

I would not be worried about pulling a few deg of timing. As I said, it's fairly normal and if you're not pulling any, there's more room to go up. If it becomes a problem, the ECU will reduce power and will gradually lower advance. If you are still worried for some reason, run the 91 octane program. It has less advance.

Ah.

I'm not concerned at all on the 93 setup, it's run flawlessly so far.

I was just trying to see if there was one or two different things that were the "usual suspects" as to why it was -5 on my logs.

Thanks for the anwers

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Please read below..

The UNI logs show little to no timing pull and more over all timing yet it seems pretty consistent (including my logs) that The APR logs pull timing.

Yes, they do, but it appears they are running less boost pressure. You cant have more of everything. If you increase boost, the amount of ignition you run decreases. If you want to run more ignition, you need to reduce boost pressure.

A_Bowers

Yes, they do, but it appears they are running less boost pressure. You cant have more of everything. If you increase boost, the amount of ignition you run decreases. If you want to run more ignition, you need to reduce boost pressure.

That's the answer I was digging for.
More than one way to skin a cat, to loosely quote.

allset

Go Kart Champion

make sure u log ignition timing angle also to show timing advance above zero, timing retard BTDC block will only show pull below zero.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Please read below..

log ignition timing angle to see what advance ur getting

allset

Go Kart Champion

im not being a wise ass, but if boost peaks to 22-24 and dumps to fall and hold at 19-20 why bother having such a high boost request?