Help me pick finish

• Matte/Satin- Current

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Gloss black

Votes: 31 72.1%

• Total voters

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
I've had my rims in satin/matte black for a while now and the paint is starting to fade and the original gold finish is starting to show through. Fortunately, the paint job is still under warranty so I can get them re-finished for free. I personally enjoy to black on white look so I will not be changing the color, however, I have been debating whether to possibly get them done in a glossy finish. I like the satin look but the finish has a tendency to catch a lot of brake dust, especially with the BBK, and requires some pretty hard scrubbing to remove, unlike dust on glossy finishes that is a LOT easier to remove. I think that the TSW Nurburgrings might look good in glossy, but I feel like black wheels in gloss have a cheap look (despite the fact that porsche paint their black wheels in gloss) :iono:

I know this is one of those situations where I should just go with what I want, but in this case, I am an undecided mofo :23:

So what does everyone think? Does gloss black look cheap or does it look better than matte?

Here's a picture of current finish. It's satin and not fully matte, but after a day of driving, the dust turns them completely matte.

Last edited:

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
I always thought the opposite and that gloss looks richer. Plus it picks up more light and reflection so the details of the wheel pop a little more and have less tendency to just blend in with the tires. I vote gloss. :thumbup:

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
I always thought the opposite and that gloss looks richer. Plus it picks up more light and reflection so the details of the wheel pop a little more and have less tendency to just blend in with the tires. I vote gloss. :thumbup:

I actually looked at your Talladega's for inspiration haha. I do agree that it makes the wheels stand out more. I'd have to keep the tires shined constantly though, to avoid having the tires looking grey in comparison to the wheels. :mad0259: Maybe it's not as bad as I think!

Edit: added a poll to this thread.

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Cant vote from taptalk but ive had gloss matte and satin. Gloss looks best by far, and if you feel like having matte wheels just let them get really dirty lol.

Butt posted from my Galaxy Note II

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Mine are fully matte

Kinda hard to tell in the picture but they ALWAYS look dirty. I want to get them refinished in satin like yours because it's a perfect middle ground. Stick with what you got it looks good:thumbsup:

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
Mine are fully matte

Kinda hard to tell in the picture but they ALWAYS look dirty. I want to get them refinished in satin like yours because it's a perfect middle ground. Stick with what you got it looks good:thumbsup:

I think the main thing about both of our finishes is that they just look so good..... When they're clean. Which for me is about one hour per week. I don't know if it's the particular satin finish used by my paint shop but it clings to brake dust like nothing else. :mad0259: for some reason sonax doesn't have any effect on it. I'm hoping a gloss finish will solve the always dirty problem, or else I'd keep my current... :23:

corydd

Go Kart Champion
Gloss ftw. I have matte black VMR's, but only because I couldn't find a similar wheel that came in gloss black. I'll admit the matte is growing on me, but if I had money to blow I'd definitely get them powdercoated in gloss black.

Storch

Go Kart Champion
I prefer gloss. Here are mine (VMR V710)

love the way this looks, not in love with the $400 to powdercoat them in gloss from VMR when matte black is free

TheGTIChannel

Ready to race!
I'm definitely leaning towards gloss now. They are being repainted under warranty so I will have to convince the paint shop to do it in a different finish but if all goes well I'll most likely have gloss black wheels in a few days :D

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Gloss.

Black in general is hard to take care of and shows break dust more than gun metal or silver. Between the two I'd go gloss just for ease of cleaning alone.

Besides the fact that it will look cleaner there are so many products to use like Wheel Wax or Rim Guard that you can apply the keep things cleaner. Can't really do this on Matte finishes. Matte paint in general is such a bitch to take care of.

I'm gloss black on my wheels and I'm glad I went that route.