GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Info on the New MK7 Golf R (300hp)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
The MK6 was a remodeled MK5 due to the same platform sharing of the PQ35 base.

The Mk7 is all new based on the modular MQB. NOT a remodeled MK6.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Front vents look functional. party.

McQueen77

Banned
Do some research. From the chassis to the motor to the interior much of this car is new. It is a clearly not a Mk6 with different sheet metal. My test in the Mk7 GTI was revelation in what has been improved. The steering alone will more than surprise you. DSG updated etc. Physically the car is larger as well.

sounds great. you get the euro spec one too which will always be better. everyone can say how open minded they are on here all they want about the made in mexico thing but if we had a choice in the US to buy a mex GTI or a german one, no one would purposely choose the mex.

barische

Go Kart Champion
The MK6 was a remodeled MK5 due to the same platform sharing of the PQ35 base.

The Mk7 is all new based on the modular MQB. NOT a remodeled MK6.

what some ppl are trying to say is that whether it is a new platform or not its pretty much gonna be the same car.. Sure its got a new exterior and interior but those given items w/ any new generation. But we want a truly improved car w this new generation not just lipstick smearing.

Many of us enthusiasts want the shortcoming of GTI fixed/ improved.. they have stated that they will improve certain things -- yes.. but not many things that we think that should come from the factory already.

Car weighs about ~100# lighter - awesome
more power -great, was much needed
possible valvelift tech for both intake and exhaust but some ppl are saying we at US might not get this technology
LSD- possible with sport package along with +10 more hp - awesome but rumors has it that US might not get it again.
rumors that GTI will have about 250 ft/lb torque - okay plenty of increase which sounds good.

things i doubt they will fix.. - voids on control arm bushings and too soft motor mounts/dogbone.. I saw very little increase on NVD from 034 combo + insert.
haldex controller for Golf R - I shouldnt have to spend $1k for controller from HPA.
front suspension geometry - roll center
Ability to turn off esp
Reduce the damn understeer,
Lighter factory wheels.. Damn it evo/sti come with ~18# wheels stock

thats what i remember so far.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^ it's still a whole new chassis, no?

Haldex Race can be had as low as about $700 from Neuspeed ;)

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It's still made by Haldex.. its just not the competition, its the race.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
HPA and Neuspeed are retailers.

Haldex makes the units.

Race and competition are different controllers.

HPA does not seem to sell just the race module, but Neuspeed does.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Considering the units cost $700-$1K, etc, I am assuming its based on cost savings by VW/VAG.