GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI on race tires (slicks)

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
That cast pan looks nice, but castings don't bend they break if you hit something. If you plan to run that pan I'd recommend a skid plate.

SuperSkyline891

Passed Driver's Ed
How does that pan prevent oil starvation, I don't see any baffling inside. Just looks like it provides some added cooling through the fins but if oil starvation is an issue I don't see this helping.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
So the additional capacity of the pan doesnt help?

The issue is that oil does not return to the pan fast enough, so in a high G turn you have most of your oil sloshed to one side of the pan and the pickup starts pulling air. if you have a pan that hangs lower to increase capacity, the pickup still can't reach. the "baffling" also does not maintain much oil.

you would need something that isolates oil at the lowest point of the pan that should also be the location of the pickup. either that or baffles on either side of the pickup to prevent oil from moving to the side of the pan and keep the pickup submerged.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
for reference, this is our oil pan. isolates oil to the rear of the pan but not side to side, which allows oil to move in high speed turns.

windage trays attached to the bottom of the block rather than the oil pan. also you see that the pickup isn't the lowest point, it's more of an optical illusion. the pan angles down then up then down again. also barely any holes to allow oil to flow freely back to the pickup.

mamock116

Ready to race!
Other than the accusump, is there a cheaper easier solution that will reduce the issue even just a little?

zrickety

The Fixer
I would run an oil cooler with the cast pan for even more capacity.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Other than the accusump, is there a cheaper easier solution that will reduce the issue even just a little?

No

Run 5qts of oil instead of 4.5.

This

I would run an oil cooler with the cast pan for even more capacity.

Good suggestions in general. Doesn't do much to prevent oil starvation though. I have the Wortec pan and the APR OPS. The Wortec pan is great for a little better cooling capacity but the extra quart is made up in width not depth so it does little to prevent starvation in high lateral G's. There's and extra quart of liquid but the pan is wider so it probably still sloshes about the same distance away from the pickup. A better solution would be a deeper pan with trap doors, and an extended oil pick up. The best solution would be a dry sump, but then we're talking thousands of dollars and packaging constraints.

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
"Many of us have blew our engines going on freeway ramp on PSS"

:bellyroll::eek::lol::yikes:
Pics, Link, you tube video, ............

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So a half a quart of oil is generally enough to get around this at the limits of grip typical of a street driven car on tires that won't go to grease after a half a lap on a track?

I was looking forward to getting my car on a track at some point in the near future. But if I buy decent coilovers with a set of Bridgestone RE11s and I have to constantly worry about the engine it's just not worth the stress.