GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Think I can be useful for folks today. That doesn't happen on this forum much, I'm usually a leach.

Took out my sub and amp today. Don't really listen to enough music to justify the extra weight back there, especially for a performance oriented build. It also made pulling the floor out a bitch, and i'm gonna be making a new stiffer one and that wouldn't fit in with the sub. Also it will fit right into my GFs car so I won't have to worry about selling it. I'm starting to plan out my trunk setup, i'm thinking of tossing the OEM battery back there and I have a few questions. Does anyone know if the hump in the wheel well is necessary? I was thinking of having that cut out, and then a piece of metal welded in to make it flat, so I could put my batter, WM controller, and pump down there, and only have the tank above the floor.

Pic of said hump:
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to cut it out. They cut it out when the do the an AWD conversion on these cars, so you should be able to do it without much hassle. If you want to know for sure, dig around some of the AWD conversion threads to see what's involved.

I like that look a lot, will that fit in with the rear seats still in?
The XB brace does fit with the rear no seat in with 1 caveat. The child seat restraints on the back of the seat can get in the way if you're not careful. you have to set the brace very low for it to not interfere. That being said, I have my XB so it sits below the child seat restraints and it works perfectly. Seat flips up and down like OEM.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The XB brace does fit with the rear no seat in with 1 caveat. The child seat restraints on the back of the seat can get in the way if you're not careful. you have to set the brace very low for it to not interfere. That being said, I have my XB so it sits below the child seat restraints and it works perfectly. Seat flips up and down like OEM.
yep. i have a hunch that mine would not clear but im not lugging the rear seat down from the attic to do a test fit.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Got everything with the DP settled today, big thanks to csumt76 for the scotch tape suggestion. Worked like a charm. It was harder to get the wobble joint lined up than to tighten the nut. So: DP is on and fully secured, passenger side aero plastic is on.

Spent a good amount of time working on the stock silicone turbo intake coupler and ended up running out of arm strength. Hit it with a hair dryer for like 20 mins, and then was trying channel locks to pull up, small flathead to wedge the coupling away from the turbo inlet, and some penetrating lube. Made vertical progress but couldn't get it all the way there. Feels like this whole project has been an exercise in "use the right tool for the job". Gonna pick up a J shaped hose pick and a terminal extractor from AAP tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the intake done tomorrow and then do the DV connector as soon as that arrives.
Is this the coupler that runs to the air intake that connects to the turbo? It really gets on there , just wiggle it back and forth and twist as you pull up.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
yep. i have a hunch that mine would not clear but im not lugging the rear seat down from the attic to do a test fit.
I'll go take a pic right now, I need to check my tire pressure any ways.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Is this the coupler that runs to the air intake that connects to the turbo? It really gets on there , just wiggle it back and forth and twist as you pull up.

Yea mine was really on there when I did the upper intake a month ago. The way I got it off was I gripped it with long needle nose pliers and just pulled while wiggling.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
Here's the XB installed with the seats up and the child restraints intact.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Got everything with the DP settled today, big thanks to csumt76 for the scotch tape suggestion. Worked like a charm. It was harder to get the wobble joint lined up than to tighten the nut. So: DP is on and fully secured, passenger side aero plastic is on.

Spent a good amount of time working on the stock silicone turbo intake coupler and ended up running out of arm strength. Hit it with a hair dryer for like 20 mins, and then was trying channel locks to pull up, small flathead to wedge the coupling away from the turbo inlet, and some penetrating lube. Made vertical progress but couldn't get it all the way there. Feels like this whole project has been an exercise in "use the right tool for the job". Gonna pick up a J shaped hose pick and a terminal extractor from AAP tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the intake done tomorrow and then do the DV connector as soon as that arrives.

I read a lot of the posts regarding the troubles you were having. Some of the issues are difficult/mentally beating for even the veteran "mechanic." The tape thing I used a lot because at some point you just have to tell your snap on guy to pound sand, or the mag socket isn't deep enough and will round it off under torque. You learn a lot of little tricks with experience. Stuff like that intake coupler doesn't need brute force and will just compound your anger. Get the pick and some lube and work it around to loosen it up. I used to hear all this shit like KISS(keep it simple stupid), or you know work smarter not harder.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Bit the bullet and ordered the European R-Line conversion for the wagen and the SRS lower lip for it. Estimated arrival date is August 1-3, so now the waiting game alllllllll summer. Have never seen a wagen with an R-line conversion, so should be unique, while sticking the OEM+ theme of the car.

Current front-end.

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
APR replaced the lug bolt instantly this morning. One reason to go with a good company, for sure.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
APR replaced the lug bolt instantly this morning. One reason to go with a good company, for sure.

Yeah they replaced a used pendulum mount that I bought that was causing a racket. I had to pay to ship it to them but they sent a new one to me (y)

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I just got burned by some old man in a SS El Camino cuz my damn clutch is slipping. Slipping like this at stg1+, i will definitely need a clutch for stg2. Looking at Sachs, Southbend and RSR

CowTownRacer

Drag Racing Champion
I actually saw that Southbend is on sale for 10% off right now. I think it was at moddedeuros.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I just got burned by some old man in a SS El Camino cuz my damn clutch is slipping. Slipping like this at stg1+, i will definitely need a clutch for stg2. Looking at Sachs, Southbend and RSR
i wouldn't feel bad about that at all personally... I got a soft spot for those legends LOL