GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Sorry, what's TOB?

Mine isn't nearly as squeaky as that video and they once kinda fixed it at the dealer (I have to find the invoice, it was more than just ""lube mechanism".) but it def is squeaky esp during cooler months.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Sorry, what's TOB?

Mine isn't nearly as squeaky as that video and they once kinda fixed it at the dealer (I have to find the invoice, it was more than just ""lube mechanism".) but it def is squeaky esp during cooler months.

throw out bearing

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
OEM and original clutch, no mods. 107,500 miles.
Do you have intentions to tune? If so maybe upgrading clutch while things are apart might save time and money later...

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
We used to use some of these products, seemed to work pretty well. Can’t recall if this is the exact same thing. Sounds like it’s in the pedal to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8B8E451F-308C-4AC3-8E70-B07CF1ABAA8F.jpeg

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Sorry, what's TOB?

There are a few causes but from what I can tell most of them end up being fixed by a new TOB

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
My clutch pedal has been getting worse and worse lately. Video of the noise below. Could this be the clutch master cylinder, bolt that it's hinged on, or the spring above it? Everything seems well greased up already. I found some related forum posts but nothing too helpful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For what it’s worth, mine sounds like this too and I’ve had a few different mechanics tell me it’s a bad throw out bearing (TOB) which makes sense and I’m also tuned with a slipping clutch + 95k miles.

If you’re not going to tune, an oem clutch is actually really cheap doing it yourself. But I’d recommend upgrading and all that jazz, because I don’t think there’s any magical unicorn of a reliable car out there. Even my Acura (Honda) had issues with the transmission, electronics, etc.

A reliable car is usually one that’s been taken care of, regardless of what company made it. Just my $.02 (y)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
If you want something that won’t give you issues even when not maintained buy a Toyota.

They don’t die because they have no soul!

jnj2455

Ready to race!
This is a pretty minor issue, all things considered. Its an annoying noise but mechanically the transmission works fine still. If you want hassle free, im not sure what car to tell you to buy. 🤷‍♂️

My comment was half made in jest in light of me trying to get that Audi.

But that said, if the TOB is really bad, isn't there a chance the clutch fails to engage/disengage?

YaMoBeThere

Passed Driver's Ed
Guys, I took my driver seat out and this thing fell out, anyone have a clue what it is and where it goes?!?

Attachments

• IMG_20200720_200815.jpg
    IMG_20200720_200815.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68