GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat19: 10k Posts Achieved In Revived Dead Thread

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
The adaptive cruise control, lane assist stuff makes it expensive. Mine needed an alignment at 12k, at least it was recommended, but since it was outside of warranty I put it off lol... ACC is awesome, it's the one thing I miss. That and a small subwoofer.

It's good man thanks, can't complain all things considered. You?
Glsd to hear it man. Things are good at the bunny household. Finally got a cold air intake in my car lol, and now I might trade in or keep it to get an all track. I don't really have a need for ACC so it's not worth the extra headaches and money.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Guise

Attachments

• A89A46C1-DA00-4672-A910-65516D06830E.jpeg
    A89A46C1-DA00-4672-A910-65516D06830E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 75
  • B9593338-D3AA-4003-9193-819D07B4D078.jpeg
    B9593338-D3AA-4003-9193-819D07B4D078.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
The adaptive cruise control, lane assist stuff makes it expensive. Mine needed an alignment at 12k, at least it was recommended, but since it was outside of warranty I put it off lol... ACC is awesome, it's the one thing I miss. That and a small subwoofer.

It's good man thanks, can't complain all things considered. You?

ACC and Lane Assist use cameras combined with steering and pedal input to assess where you are in the lane, etc. If your car had the anti-dazzle high beams then this also contribues. So now a basic 4-wheel-alignment requires camera alignments too.... and it's $$$$.

And if the VW side is anything like what I had to deal with on my Diesel.... Lord help you when you need a windshield. My Diesel was a week old when I took a rock to the windshield. I don't have any of the lane assists but I do have anti-dazzle feature on the LED headlights (basically I can flip the high beams on, and they will automatically shut off when a car approaches, and turn back on when it passes.) The camera that monitors for oncoming cars, etc. is attached to the glass behind the mirror. Replacing the windshield thus required a camera alignment, which also requres a 4-wheel alignment. My windshield replacement was a solid, solid 4-figure repair. :( Thank God for insurance on that one.... and at first, they even tried to deny it thinking I was doing it fraudulently because of the costs!

@Jaber - what kind of Brodozer did you get?

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
As for the ongoing kids discussion... one piece of advice that was given to me that resonated: really, if you want kids? You should be DYING for them. It's better to regret NOT having them, then to regret having them. I see a lot of folks (several close friends, even) who hurried up and had kids because "it was the thing to do" or "well everyone else is having them and won't it be fun to have our kids grow up together?" etc. WRONG reasons to have kids. The ones I know who used those reasons, while they'd never admit it, use their kids as an excuse for most of their misery now. They tolerate their kids. That's not right.

Those who are young and trying? Take your time. :) Enjoy being DINKs while you can. Kids will kill spontaneity. Not "bow chicka bow wow" stuff (tho they can kill that too) but stuff like "wake up in the morning and decide to take a weekend trip somewhere" kind of thing. Random dinner parties. Etc. So get all that stuff out of your system first. Go be the young dumb married couple and do it to the point where you're bored with it. THEN have kids. One thing my wife and I missed out on was a lot of that because she had a 1.5 year old when we met. Now that he's a teenager, we can do those things again but 95% of the time we're just too f'n tired from careers, etc. to do any of it now lol.

I never really wanted kids. My son came along as a package deal with my wife and it was a terrifying risk... but that said: I've since fully adopted him. I have zero regrets, he's an amazing kid. Watching someone grow over time, seeing them shape themselves... it really can't be described. It's very cool. :)

But there was a social media movement or whatever back when I was still single called "Childfree". Not childLESS but childFREE. I still think it was valid/clever... there's too much pressure to have kids. So many people have them before they're ready. Some friends of mine found it to be beyond offensive. Tread at your own risk but IMO it's worth exploring.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
As for the ongoing kids discussion... one piece of advice that was given to me that resonated: really, if you want kids? You should be DYING for them. It's better to regret NOT having them, then to regret having them. I see a lot of folks (several close friends, even) who hurried up and had kids because "it was the thing to do" or "well everyone else is having them and won't it be fun to have our kids grow up together?" etc. WRONG reasons to have kids. The ones I know who used those reasons, while they'd never admit it, use their kids as an excuse for most of their misery now. They tolerate their kids. That's not right.

Those who are young and trying? Take your time. :) Enjoy being DINKs while you can. Kids will kill spontaneity. Not "bow chicka bow wow" stuff (tho they can kill that too) but stuff like "wake up in the morning and decide to take a weekend trip somewhere" kind of thing. Random dinner parties. Etc. So get all that stuff out of your system first. Go be the young dumb married couple and do it to the point where you're bored with it. THEN have kids. One thing my wife and I missed out on was a lot of that because she had a 1.5 year old when we met. Now that he's a teenager, we can do those things again but 95% of the time we're just too f'n tired from careers, etc. to do any of it now lol.

I never really wanted kids. My son came along as a package deal with my wife and it was a terrifying risk... but that said: I've since fully adopted him. I have zero regrets, he's an amazing kid. Watching someone grow over time, seeing them shape themselves... it really can't be described. It's very cool. :)

But there was a social media movement or whatever back when I was still single called "Childfree". Not childLESS but childFREE. I still think it was valid/clever... there's too much pressure to have kids. So many people have them before they're ready. Some friends of mine found it to be beyond offensive. Tread at your own risk but IMO it's worth exploring.
So much this. Don’t have kids unless you’re willing to give up all your freedom to do what you want, when you want. Don’t just be willing. You have to be dedicated to giving your full attention an priority to that kid, otherwise we end up with more assholes. Its no longer about what you want. It’s about what’s best for the kid. I really think there should be requirements you have to meet to procreate. The world would be a better place.

In regards to peer pressure and societal pressure to have kids. It’s real. So real. We get side eye and guilt tripped because we didn’t have kids. Parents, friends, family. Snide remarks to make us feel bad because we didn’t have kids. I know some are jealous and envious of our ability to do what we want, whenever we want. I know for a fact several of my friends didn’t want kids, but only had them because that what their wife wanted. Everyone’s else’s plan for life isn’t the same. People are different. When my wife and I started dating, it was the very first thing we agreed on when we started getting serious. Some people have that parenting mentality. I don’t. Neither does my wife. Plus, with my genetics, it would’ve been irresponsible to have kids, so that’s my excuse.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I'm honest enough with myself to know if be a shitty parent. I wouldn't want to put a kid through that, it was also one of the first things my lady and I agreed on that we both didn't want kids. I don't want to give up my hobbies or randomly be able to take a weekend trip like Jim said...we do that often, I'm 36 and haven't outgrown being spontaneous yet. It's hard enough to take trips like that with a dog but we make that work, we bring our dog everywhere...racetracks included and she loves it. Both of our families try and guilt trip us about it but it doesn't work. It's a really shitty thing to try and guilt someone into having kids and we turn it right back around on them.