GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

jedred1

jedred1
I have a clanging (not a thump) going on in the passenger rear of the car and my shop said it is the passenger rear end link. I have DSG springs and after market (thick) anti-sway-bars in the front and rear. Both set to hard. I am considering replacing them all with adjustable end links. The springs lower me about 1" all around. Do you all think that adjustable end links are worth it? Have any of you done this at home as a DIY? Thinking of SuperPro

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
We just had endlink chat a few pages ago

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I just don't get mayo...

First experience on a burger was at White Spot... nearly spat it out like wtf... never will there b white sauce of any kind on my meat.

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Cclark6146

Go Kart Newbie
No more end-link rattle, car is happy. All that's left is to adjust out the pre-tension.

I wonder how many sets of adjustable end-links fail because the center rod wasn't adjusted properly. Something I noticed was that if I didn't have it centered properly between each rod end before tightening it could push the ball joint to the end of its travel. I imagine a lot of noise and failures happen if they're installed in a way that doesn't allow the ball joints to articulate properly
would you be able to elaborate on this? Ive never had adjustable end links but I have a set of whiteline heavy duty links Im going to put on when I do my sways and coil overs. maybe its because I dont have them in front of me but is there supposed to be a trick to it? my luck Ill slap it in and everything "looks" good then something breaks cause I did it wrong haha

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Well, found where all the 134a has been going..I'm fairly certain I have done a compressor on this car before. IIRC was a REAL PITA getting the hoses back on. But I could be wrong.
Getting warm here in texas so going to go ahead and handle up

Attachments

• 20210605_091248.jpg
    20210605_091248.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
would you be able to elaborate on this? Ive never had adjustable end links but I have a set of whiteline heavy duty links Im going to put on when I do my sways and coil overs. maybe its because I dont have them in front of me but is there supposed to be a trick to it? my luck Ill slap it in and everything "looks" good then something breaks cause I did it wrong haha
Yeah, no problem...

So if you look at a stock, non adjustable end link you'll notice that the ball joints are pointed in different directions. When installed on the car you can push and pull on the end-link assembly and you'll see that there's a certain amount of built in articulation... as in at the points where it connects the ball joints have some built in play.

Adjustable end-links tend to be three pieces; the center rod and the two end pieces that are essentially just ball joints with threaded rods attached to them. Because the end ball joints "screw" into the rod, the angle of the ball joints in relation to each other can be anything you want. What you need to do is to ensure that the angle effectively matches that of the stock end-link.

What makes it tricky is that when you tighten the connection between the ball joint and the center rod (there's a nut on the ball joint that tightens against the rod to keep locked in place) this can change the angle unless you take care to keep the angle from changing.

So basically if, when the end-link is on the car, when you grab it and push and pull if it doesn't move at all you've installed it when one or both of the ball joints in a way that's not going to allow it to articulate properly... which will probably cause it to break.

Attachments

• endlink.jpg
    endlink.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 66

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion