GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4motion swapped 2.5 turbo Variant Build

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Just a side shot to show the current stance.

krokusstraat9

I love this attention to detail. Swapping a previously repaired item for new really floats my boat! My track control arms are rusted to the tune of 124k Scottish miles. So I'll replace them for new rather than sand, sand, sand, paint. Sand again.... something that would make my Dad roll his eyes... lol.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
They didn't make brushed aluminum caps for my mirrors (JSW uses MkV mirrors), so I purchased the OEM chrome caps and brushed them myself. Soapy water + very careful straight skuffs with a scouring pad, followed by CQuartz ceramic coat to protect. Friggin love it!

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Looks amazing. Clever solution with panty dropper results as per(y)(y)

jnj2455

Ready to race!
Lovely subtle & clean wagon!

I've read some of the threads on the OEM xenon installs.. so you had to install a highline CECM + snake the bi-xenon trigger wires from the harnesses through firewall? How painstaking of a process was it?

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Lovely subtle & clean wagon!

I've read some of the threads on the OEM xenon installs.. so you had to install a highline CECM + snake the bi-xenon trigger wires from the harnesses through firewall? How painstaking of a process was it?

That's sorta it, but not quite.

You'll need the following:
  • OEM LED Bi-Xenon housings
  • Ballasts (2)
  • All associated bulbs
  • Highline CECM (in my case, from an 14' Autobahn GTI)
  • 14 pin VW harness connectors
  • VW repair and trigger wires
  • VAGCOM cable and VCDS
  • Cloth OEM style wiring tape
Then, you'll need to:
  • Repin your 12 pin harness to a 14pin harness for your headlings. Halogen harnesses arent the same. Alternatively, Kufatec makes adapters, but you'll have an extra two plugs and wiring in the bay. I opted for the OEM wiring route.
  • Run two trigger/power wires for the LED modules. This is the most time consuming part. It involves unwrapping the factory harnesses, place the new wiring and rewrapping with the cloth electrical tape.
  • Fish the two new trigger wires through the firewire and into the floorboard.
  • Remove your existing CECM and install the highline module.
  • Pin the two fished wires into the CECM.
  • Install the housings, bulbs and ballasts.
  • Program the lights.
Huge time-saver here if you want Xenon factory lights but don't care about the LEDs.
  • Purchase Golf R headlights
  • Purchased Kufatec wiring harness adapters
  • Jump the 10 and 12 pins on the harness
  • Plug the the new modified harnesses in.
  • Install lights
  • Check 'has Xenon lights' in VCDS.
  • You're done.
* I did the above on my last build GTI, you can find more info on that earlier in this build thread. A midline CECM will work with non-led Xenon lights.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Got the R-Line front-end conversion ordered!

The Mk6 Golf had an R-Line in Europe, but not the NA market. This included:
  • A unique front bumper specific to this trim level (kinda like a 35th GTI version bumper for a Golf)
  • Gloss lower center grille
  • Gloss black fog light surround trim
  • Highline upper grille
  • Golf R side skirts
  • R-Line fender badging
  • Bi-Xenon LED headlights
I've already done the headlight retrofit, Golf R side skirts and OEM Votex rear valance, diffuser and spolier extension, so this order contains all of the other parts and pieces. I've never seen a Wagen R-Line conversion, so hoping this will be unique while staying true to the OEM+ build theme.

To finish off the front end, I have this SRS lower lip coming as well. Due to COVID-19 and overseas shipping, my estimated arrival date isn't until August 1-3.

And now we wait...

jnj2455

Ready to race!
That's sorta it, but not quite.

You'll need the following:
  • OEM LED Bi-Xenon housings
  • Ballasts (2)
  • All associated bulbs
  • Highline CECM (in my case, from an 14' Autobahn GTI)
  • 14 pin VW harness connectors
  • VW repair and trigger wires
  • VAGCOM cable and VCDS
  • Cloth OEM style wiring tape
Then, you'll need to:
  • Repin your 12 pin harness to a 14pin harness for your headlings. Halogen harnesses arent the same. Alternatively, Kufatec makes adapters, but you'll have an extra two plugs and wiring in the bay. I opted for the OEM wiring route.
  • Run two trigger/power wires for the LED modules. This is the most time consuming part. It involves unwrapping the factory harnesses, place the new wiring and rewrapping with the cloth electrical tape.
  • Fish the two new trigger wires through the firewire and into the floorboard.
  • Remove your existing CECM and install the highline module.
  • Pin the two fished wires into the CECM.
  • Install the housings, bulbs and ballasts.
  • Program the lights.
Huge time-saver here if you want Xenon factory lights but don't care about the LEDs.
  • Purchase Golf R headlights
  • Purchased Kufatec wiring harness adapters
  • Jump the 10 and 12 pins on the harness
  • Plug the the new modified harnesses in.
  • Install lights
  • Check 'has Xenon lights' in VCDS.
  • You're done.
* I did the above on my last build GTI, you can find more info on that earlier in this build thread. A midline CECM will work with non-led Xenon lights.

Pardon me, I just briefly looked for it (roughly page 4 right?) but didn't really see anything more. Do you have more info on this? I know about the Kufatec adapters that I believe were plug & play, but what do you mean by "jumping the 10 & 12 pins"?

I cared about LEDs when I was 21 and gave too much shit about form over function, but 8 years later with every car having LEDs, I could not care less about them and would gladly get the Golf R non-LED ones. Besides, I've ran my fogs as DRLs the last 9 years.

Anyways, my biggest issue was installing a highline CECM + the trigger wires through the firewall and I frankly didn't have the time, patience, or room. All MK6 GTis came with at least a mid-line CECM right?

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Pardon me, I just briefly looked for it (roughly page 4 right?) but didn't really see anything more. Do you have more info on this? I know about the Kufatec adapters that I believe were plug & play, but what do you mean by "jumping the 10 & 12 pins"?

I cared about LEDs when I was 21 and gave too much shit about form over function, but 8 years later with every car having LEDs, I could not care less about them and would gladly get the Golf R non-LED ones. Besides, I've ran my fogs as DRLs the last 9 years.

Anyways, my biggest issue was installing a highline CECM + the trigger wires through the firewall and I frankly didn't have the time, patience, or room. All MK6 GTis came with at least a mid-line CECM right?

Those are the pins you'll need to merge to get your high beams to work. Without doing that, the high beam shutters wont activate, so you'll only have low beams. I don't want to derail this thread into a how-to article, but if you reach out to me in a PM, I can assist you further. Thanks!

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Got the R-Line front-end conversion ordered!

• A unique front bumper specific to this trim level (kinda like a 35th GTI version bumper for a Golf)
  • Highline upper grille
  • Golf R side skirts
  • R-Line fender badging
I've already done the headlight retrofit, Golf R side skirts and OEM Votex rear valance, diffuser and spolier extension, so this order contains all of the other parts and pieces. I've never seen a Wagen R-Line conversion, so hoping this will be unique while staying true to t

• Highline upper grille
  • Golf R side skirts
  • R-Line fender badging
I've already done the headlight retrofit, Golf R side skirts and OEM Votex rear valance, diffuser and spolier extension, so this order contains all of the other parts and pieces. I've never seen a Wagen R-Line conversion, so hoping this will be unique while staying true to the OEM+ build theme.

To finish off the front end, I have this SRS lower lip coming as well. Due to COVID-19 and overseas shipping, my estimated arrival date isn't until August 1-3.

And now we wait...
I love how sculptured-out the lower outer flanks are. If I copy/honour your front end......