GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4motion swapped 2.5 turbo Variant Build

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
The AWD swap has started! Picked up this super clean Mk6 Golf R rear end. Because who wouldn't want a AWD 2.5 turbo Wagen?

torga

Autocross Champion
Is there a directly-swappable driveshaft? Or will you have to have one made?

Any custom fitment of the subframe itself? I used to be a Celica guy, and the people that did the full AWD GT-Four drivetrain swaps had to also use the GT-Four gas tank (ST/GT tanks were bigger) and weld mounting provisions into the frame, so the subframe could be attached.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Is there a directly-swappable driveshaft? Or will you have to have one made?

Any custom fitment of the subframe itself? I used to be a Celica guy, and the people that did the full AWD GT-Four drivetrain swaps had to also use the GT-Four gas tank (ST/GT tanks were bigger) and weld mounting provisions into the frame, so the subframe could be attached.

Keep in mind I have a Variant/Wagen. This swap is LOADS easier on this car versus a standard Golf/GTI. No need to weld in a new floor pan, etc.

The Golf R driveshaft work's perfectly, as all the Golfs and the Wagen (up to the rear doors) have the same length/platform. You do need to weld the prop shaft brackets into the tunnel however. Additionally, a welded nut is needed behind for the gas tank strap. Outside of that, it's mating it to the AWD 6spd KZV transmission and enabling in VCDS (in a nutshell).

Last edited:

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Got the Golf R rear calipers, StopTech stainless lines, Tyrolsport rear subframe deadset kit and rear diff bushings installed in the Golf R rear end.

Before installing the awd rear subframe, I had to first cutout the prestamped section under the rear seat for the saddle tank fuel level sending unit. The saddle tank require for the awd rear subframe has the pump on one side and sending unit on the other. After that, a captive nut had to be welded to the seat floor rail and a bracket to the underside of the car for the additional tank strap.

After the new tank and rear end were bolted up, it was time to tackle the wiring for the car to communicate with the Haldex controller.

Here's a view down the tunnel at the proper shaft flange on the rear differential. Like a glove!

Not going to be able to use the 09G auto for this AWD turbo build, so out it went and installed a 6 speed shift box for the new 02Q AWD transmission.

And a nice subtle touch for the 4motion swap.

torga

Autocross Champion
Sooo much good work and so much effort. Can't wait til you get to sit back and enjoy your finished product. I really dig your watermark design, btw -- creative W.

What rotors are you using in the back?

Phur

Autocross Champion
I also have a couple of brake questions. What kind of calipers do we have to choose from for the 310mm rotors without electric parking brake? And what kind of paint did you use? How hot do calipers get?

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
What rotors are you using in the back?

Thanks! Rotors are Hawk Talons, paired with Carbotech pads and StopTech stainless lines.

I also have a couple of brake questions. What kind of calipers do we have to choose from for the 310mm rotors without electric parking brake? And what kind of paint did you use? How hot do calipers get?

I have full Golf R brakes, so the calipers are from a Golf R. I've always used G2 paints on my calipers for all my cars. On the cars in this build thread, I've removed all casting marks before painting. I've paid hundreds for professional powder coating, but the G2 still lasts longer and is super easy to touch up since its self leveling if you ever knick your paint.

torga

Autocross Champion
Any tips on finding affordable R32/R20 rear calipers? Any time I see them pop up, they're outrageous. Can't ever find them in scrapyards.
For my R fronts, I went with B6 Passat 4Motion calipers.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Got the manifold test fit. Need longer studs now. Hope to have those in-hand later this week so I can get the turbo and wastegate mocked up. Having the manifold coated with Aluminum Cerakote before final assembly. Shame, as it's beautiful raw.

From L-R, where does the 3rd exhaust go? Is that collector a 5-entry? From this angle it looks like a 4-entry where 1, 2, 4, 5 form the "clover" so I've been trying to figure out where exhaust 3 goes and it's hurting my brain

Last edited: