GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5.0 Mustangs...

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
This might come off kind if dumb, so pardon me for the dumb question...but the are all the Mustang GT's 5.0 motors after 2011? I had this idea in my head that the 5.0 was an upper model...

My Flickr!

Uberryan

Banned
This might come off kind if dumb, so pardon me for the dumb question...but the are all the Mustang GT's 5.0 motors after 2011? I had this idea in my head that the 5.0 was an upper model...

My Flickr!

The GT, I think after the 2011 model, became a 5.0 V8, and the regular came with a V6.

As of 2015 MY, all GTs still have the V8, but there is no more publicly offered V6 anymore. It's saved for rental cars I believe. The ecoboost takes over the lower end mustang with a 4cylinder turbo.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
The V6 car is still publicly available, but it seems they don't want people to buy it. Therefore, they don't have any real options if you pick the V6. You only get the base trim and no "Premium" trim line which includes a lot of upgrades. They want people to buy the EcoBoost, presumably to raise the fleet MPG numbers to meet the .gov regulations.

In the modern cars, the GT has been the V8 model since 1985. In 1983-84 there was a "Turbo GT", but since then GT's have had some version of a 5.0 or 4.6L V8 in them.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
The interior in the 1LE looks much nicer than the 2010 SS we had. I wish they'd changed the material on the silver door panels. I miss the LS3's torque and noise, so sweet. The trunk is pretty useless, like you said, it hold a lot but long items are difficult to get in. I wonder how much firmer the suspension would be compared to ours.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I think I might be the only person who likes the V6 :lol:

Put on the same 3.73 gears as the GT, maybe do the intake/exhaust/tune thing, and you have a cheap car that is more than fast enough to get to Pizza Hut before they close.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
The interior in the 1LE looks much nicer than the 2010 SS we had. I wish they'd changed the material on the silver door panels. I miss the LS3's torque and noise, so sweet. The trunk is pretty useless, like you said, it hold a lot but long items are difficult to get in. I wonder how much firmer the suspension would be compared to ours.

Yeah, when I was looking at the 2010's I couldn't get over the dash panel. That's actually the reason I ended up buying my 2011 Grand Sport. Even my wife said she was afraid she would scratch the huge plastic dash on the 2010 accidentally and I'd be pissed.

The suspension is quite a bit firmer than the SS I drove before. I would say it feels like a car that has been lowered on Hotchkis springs. They are not a progressive spring like the SS. If you can handle a lowered car that is on stiffer springs, the 1LE is fine as a daily driver.

The two biggest things in my head is the interior and owning an "old model" come next year. The downward sloping console feels different, and the pack of gauges there are in the wrong place. Maybe I can live with it over time, but initially I don't have the at home feeling.

Sitting in the car driving it for up to 4 hours per day on my commute, I really think the Mustang wins.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
I think I might be the only person who likes the V6 :lol:

Put on the same 3.73 gears as the GT, maybe do the intake/exhaust/tune thing, and you have a cheap car that is more than fast enough to get to Pizza Hut before they close.

You are not alone. So many guys on the forums that are V6 loyalists are up in arms about this. A few have bought the car anyway.

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
I liked the suspension and ride of our SS, it never felt rough just tight. The old interior was just a big expanse of cheap feeling plastic. The curved section of door panel didn't line up with the dash well at all on ours. We had the 4-pack gauges but I rarely looked at them due to location. I too think you're better off with a brand new Mustang vs the tired Camaro. The interior of the Mustang looks much nicer, I could live with that as a daily. I like buying trucks at the end of the production cycle, but a sports car is a different story. It would feel old and second rate once the new one is out.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
You are not alone. So many guys on the forums that are V6 loyalists are up in arms about this. A few have bought the car anyway.

Interesting, they must all hide on that forum :lol:

Everywhere else all I ever see is "V6 = Rental car" and "I'd never buy a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/Charger without a V8"

Back in 2011 when I was looking at those cars to actually buy one, the fact that the V8 was 50% more money to insure was all it took for me to be fine with the V6+gears.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
They are there, lurking in the shadows... waiting for the next rental car comment. :)

Someone posted this pic and the comments are starting...

"Mustang V6 in its natural habitat"

PrayforMojo

Go Kart Champion
LOL, we rented a V6 vert in San Diego a couple years ago. It was much faster than I anticipated. Cruising down the I5 at 85mph it was barely reving compared to the GTI and BMW.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
I guess a 2.73 V6 auto is absolutely a rental car, but a 3.73 manual is not even though they look the same. It's like a RWD version of a stage 2 GTI - fast enough to be fun but still cheap.

Yeah, I think that the 2014 V6 with the track pack would be a great commuter for someone that didn't have to have the V8.

On the 2015 V6 the only options are Manual or Auto, and it seems a 3.55 rear end that would impact performance. Then you have a fog light/spoiler/power seat package.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I tested a few different V6's and the gearing makes a gigantic difference. The 2.73 basically feels like taking off in 2nd gear, it exists solely for hitting that 30 mpg highway number.

That's too bad they got rid of the options on the V6. Between the increased weight and price and decreased options I'd have a really hard time buying a 15 in any trim but ecoboost. I guess prices are going up on everything though...

Does the 15 actually have a significantly better ride on the street than the 11-14? I didn't have any issues with the old one but it's been awhile since I drove it.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
2015 Mustang in Guard with the Ecoboost Performance Pack and Recaros. Pretty sharp.

But damn, that's a big car.