GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any old fogeys like me with a GTI - I'm 43

RickA1

Ready to race!
Will turn 53 next month. Never loved a car like this one. And get the Autobahn. The seats and Dynaudio are worth the extra cost.

s2kguy

Ready to race!
I'm 45, like the caliber and Love It!

I also have a VW CC for Family Outings.

I'm 74, a Viet vet and presently looking for something sportier, although everything I've tried out has not held up to the GTI.
Please, if you're going to display our flag, do it properly. The star field should be on the left.
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/displayonly.htm

16plus4v

Ready to race!
I got my first GTI @ 39 y/o, which is apparently the average age of GTI ownership. Not too early, never too late.

I'd say for NEW GTI ownership that makes sense. But the vast majority of GTI owners that are in older models tend to be that of a younger crowd. At least in these parts...

Fordson

Ready to race!
55 and still have all my hair, and not fat, either.

Hey, OP - if you're not fat also, get the Autobahn - the seats are for skinnier people and since you're 43, you can afford it instead of getting a base model and telling yourself it's just fine.:p

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
My wife got me the GTI for my 40th birthday. First drivers car I had, coming from maxima and forester. After a year I still love driving it all day through the mountains.

+1 The autobahn seats are great. I drove a rental Infiniti g37 on vacation and it made my legs go to sleep and gave me back pain, and this is supposed to be luxury class. Drive my gti the same amount and never any discomfort or pain, except maybe my face muscles from the wide grin plastered there.

Few months ago, I saw a GTI and drove up on the right to wave. Saw a white haired old woman in the passenger seat maybe 70 and was like oh, someone giving mom a ride. Then I glanced to the driver. White haired gentleman who also looked over 70!! Clearly taking his main squeeze out for a joyride.

They were both smiling and never looked over when I waved.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I'm 74, a Viet vet and presently looking for something sportier, although everything I've tried out has not held up to the GTI.
Please, if you're going to display our flag, do it properly. The star field should be on the left.
http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/more/displayonly.htm

Thanks for clarifying the proper way to display my flag. I was not sure and had a 50/50% chance of getting it right. I guess I got t wrong. I will remember this for the next holiday, I display it :thumbsup:

skillz1318

Passed Driver's Ed
I am glad I got the Autobahn, and initially wanted it only for the leather seats (easier to clean than fabric), but after having the car for a little over a month KESSY is my favorite feature by far! The navigation is not amazing, but works great when I need it and is much better than holding my iPhone to see where I need to go!

Zepharus

Ready to race!
40 Here, very professional job and this is my DD. I rock about 3k/month on her. This is the BEST car ive ever owned... PERIOD

Buy one... get stage 1 APR.. go stealth. Never look back (except when parking your car...which I do everytime still)

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Never look back (except when parking your car...which I do everytime still)

LOL...That'll get tougher as you get older!...I really like the Back-up camera on my Wife's New Mazda CX-5......:)

The pain of looking back is seriously reduced...I also try not to look back at all the cool cars I've had over the years, and what they're worth today!

mowyang

Mid-life crisis car?

A co-worker actually asked me if my GTI was my mid-life crisis car! So, yes, some will view it that way.

My first new car was an '85 GLI, which I owned for 10 years and have missed ever since. Now that the
kids are grown and out of the house, I figured I deserved a car for me. Last fall, I stopped at a VW
dealer and sat in a Golf TDI. Ahh, it felt like I had come home. I eventually decided on a white Autobahn GTI.
I bought it in March, a month before my 55th birthday.

:happyanim:

ARMY21

Passed Driver's Ed
42 here. not old by any means still chase down kids half my age weekly. But this car is a blast, and I think that it is a very sensible car. That is a blast to drive

AXO

Go Kart Champion
Why you chasing Kids? (LOL) I see your Thin Blue Line avatar! Stay Safe!

Randum

Go Kart Champion
Do it. I drive with a shit grin by myself late at night on the highway, don't really care who sees me or what I look like. You'll enjoy it!

And like previous post, just factor in a k04 upgrade or something and it'll still be cheaper than a normal "mid life crisis" car - and just as much fun!

serge1

Ready to race!
Maybe it's a midlife crisis car (well, a reasonable cost one) or I'm sick of just pure comfort of a sedan / SUV but I'm seriously considering getting a 2012 GTI. Just curious about whether I may wind up looking like a retired guy in an 18 year old's car. Ultimately, I probably won't care but at the moment wondering who else seems to have had the same interest in the vehicle.

If you guys can chime in on what drove you to purchase one over other vehicles, it'd help me make the whole decision more concrete in my mind.

Thanks!!

43 y/o too, and loving the GTI. By far, best car I've ever owned! Stage-1 took care of the power deficit and the "Chevy Aveo-like" 120 mph speed governor.

FYI, I do not feel like an "old fogey" like you do ;-)

Last edited: