GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 2.0 TSI K04 v3.1 Software Now Available!

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
I pass cbfa with two vibrant j spacers. Pre cat no insert, post cat middle insert.

Did it take a lot of adjusting to get them to work out? So you placed them on the back two cats?

Also are you k04 or stage 2?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Did it take a lot of adjusting to get them to work out? So you placed them on the back two cats?

Nope. Set readiness first try. They are screwed all the way in and angled back.

On cbfa, stock has 2 cats hence 3 O2 sensors. You just have to step down the spacers to act as if they were passing two cats. Not tricky at all..... At least for me

I'm k04

v.b

Ready to race!
If anyone bothered to read Sean's post, you don't need any spacers to pass emissions as most counties are okay with one readiness monitor not set. Probably a better idea than the spacers especially considering that they do affect fuel trims.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
If anyone bothered to read Sean's post, you don't need any spacers to pass emissions as most counties are okay with one readiness monitor not set. Probably a better idea than the spacers especially considering that they do affect fuel trims.
Still looking for an official list of states that follow this.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I heard lilfleck is testing a spacer option that may help people pass.....

*enter llfleck*
:paddle: word spreads fast, huh?

IF this works out, I will share with everyone more details. I just don't want to get people pumped up for something that may not work. I'm about 200 miles in after my downpipe install with stage 1 (non test pipe file). I am o2/emissions ready at the moment, but want to give it more time in case that light decides to kick on. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it does come on. It took a while the last time I installed the downpipe (on the previous car).

I know that spacers might do the trick but I hear lots of finessing is needed to get them to work out on cbfa cars. So on a stage 2 setup i get how it works because the stock k03 still has an 02 sensor on the turbo but with the k04 profile do I still run just 2 spacers?

I'll definitely check it out. I hope lilfleck's spacer setup works out.
Correct. There is no set combo that just works for all downpipes. That's the problem. I have heard people having luck with 42dd and ultimate racing downpipes, but I'm not 100% sure. I recall looking at the design of the downpipes and noticed that a spacer was built into the o2 bung from the manufacturer--I can't quite recall which one it is.

With K04, you don't change the spacer setup; however, you'll use the top o2 bung on the downpipe (if you're cbfa).

I pass cbfa with two vibrant j spacers. Pre cat no insert, post cat middle insert.
Which downpipe are you running? I think I ran this setup and didn't have luck on my SPM catted downpipe.

Nope. Set readiness first try. They are screwed all the way in and angled back.

On cbfa, stock has 2 cats hence 3 O2 sensors. You just have to step down the spacers to act as if they were passing two cats. Not tricky at all..... At least for me

I'm k04
I think you got lucky. Most with CBFA don't have luck. I tried 2 or 3 combos with my last car and got fed up and just tuned it out.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion

This STAR performance measure compares the rate at which each station passes vehicles on the initial test with the maximum allowable unset OBD II readiness monitors to the maximum unset monitor rates for "similar vehicles" statewide. An initial test may be an official inspection or a pretest and is the first test performed on a vehicle in its current inspection cycle, which may be for biennial inspection, change-of-ownership, or initial registration. The maximum allowable readiness monitors for model year 2001 and newer vehicles is one unset monitor. Model year 2000 and older vehicles are allowed two unset monitors. "Similar vehicles" means vehicles of the same model year, make, model, engine displacement, transmission type, and body style.

Excerpt from CA smog requirements. So this means that the o2 sensors can be disabled?

^Thanks for clearing it up lilfleck. I've been on golfmk6 for a long time but never looked much into engine mods until now.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
This STAR performance measure compares the rate at which each station passes vehicles on the initial test with the maximum allowable unset OBD II readiness monitors to the maximum unset monitor rates for "similar vehicles" statewide. An initial test may be an official inspection or a pretest and is the first test performed on a vehicle in its current inspection cycle, which may be for biennial inspection, change-of-ownership, or initial registration. The maximum allowable readiness monitors for model year 2001 and newer vehicles is one unset monitor. Model year 2000 and older vehicles are allowed two unset monitors. "Similar vehicles" means vehicles of the same model year, make, model, engine displacement, transmission type, and body style.

Excerpt from CA smog requirements. So this means that the o2 sensors can be disabled?

^Thanks for clearing it up lilfleck. I've been on golfmk6 for a long time but never looked much into engine mods until now.
Thank you, link to source?

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Who said an extra 50hp? What did I miss?

You aren't going to get an extra 50hp. Look at the Regional forums and the "mexico" runs that occured. Both cars on 93 octane were pretty much dead even, and the other one even had a stock intercooler.

I would say that it could possibly provide less backpressure (less chance of valve float) and possibly less strain on the turbo itself. MAYBE a few extra horsepower, but the videos tell a different story showing dead nuts even runs.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
You aren't going to get an extra 50hp. Look at the Regional forums and the "mexico" runs that occured. Both cars on 93 octane were pretty much dead even, and the other one even had a stock intercooler.

I would say that it could possibly provide less backpressure (less chance of valve float) and possibly less strain on the turbo itself. MAYBE a few extra horsepower, but the videos tell a different story showing dead nuts even runs.

50HP I wish.... the P&P was only for an efficiency gain on this turbo and it's still truly unproven until I hit the dyno (enter comments about it taking forever). If anything it should allow the turbo to acheive targeted boost levels a little easier which in turn should create less heat/wear. The ceramic coating is a nice treatment which technically should reduce the ambient exhaust side heat from affecting the compressor heat. In addition the ceramic coating and turbo blanket have reduced bay temps which can lower intake temps. All of these factors together could lead to a few HP.