GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 2.0 TSI K04 v3.1 Software Now Available!

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
With these cars passing quit a bit of oil into the intake track the intercoolers build up a lot of oil that reduces their efficiency. Sometimes I wonder when people log oil filled intercoolers and then replace them with a new intercooler. How much of the difference is just due to a clean intercooler, probably a lot of it. It's more interesting to see how an ic performs after a year of oil build up.

Before buying a new ic try cleaning the one you've got. I used to do it on my eclipse gsx by removing it and filling it with gasoline to flush out the oil. Always made a big difference.

I have often wondered this myself... a good deal of oil in TBP and the TOP whenever im playing down there

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
I have often wondered this myself... a good deal of oil in TBP and the TOP whenever im playing down there

You guys would have shit if you saw the amount of oil we poured out of the piping this weekend when we swapped a bad turbo on an fsi.. omfg, like a quart of oil. The damn turbo had about 1/2" of shaft play side in and out, like the bearings were totally gone

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
You guys would have shit if you saw the amount of oil we poured out of the piping this weekend when we swapped a bad turbo on an fsi.. omfg, like a quart of oil. The damn turbo had about 1/2" of shaft play side in and out, like the bearings were totally gone

Ewww...

when i was putting on new plumping i was shocked at how much oil was on the cold side of the IC...

is there any recommended way to clean it out?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Anyone coming from a competitors tune to v3.1. Strongly considering it.

I did some testing on a Uni K04 car trying to dianose some issues. I will tell you that 3.1 would absolutely destroy that car (in full running correctly condition). The owner has actually since switched to APR and has 3.1 and says so himself. I believe he posted in this thread, but his name is Jcap287. Not only is 3.1 smoother, it just overall makes more power. I'm pretty sure in a full out race the shitty 3.0 tune would have taken it.

madmycal

Ready to race!
I did some testing on a Uni K04 car trying to dianose some issues. I will tell you that 3.1 would absolutely destroy that car (in full running correctly condition). The owner has actually since switched to APR and has 3.1 and says so himself. I believe he posted in this thread, but his name is Jcap287. Not only is 3.1 smoother, it just overall makes more power. I'm pretty sure in a full out race the shitty 3.0 tune would have taken it.

I agree and also came from a competitors tune.

ns01gti

Go Kart Champion

I agree and also came from a competitors tune.

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Can you describe how your car runs with the two tunes? Have you noticed any loss of low-end power with 3.1?

What dyno figures did you get with the other tune? When do you plan to dyno the v3.1?

:)

This!! :thumbsup::D

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Can you describe how your car runs with the two tunes? Have you noticed any loss of low-end power with 3.1?

This!! :thumbsup::D

MY car has only ever had the APR tune (2.0/2.2/3.0/3.1), but the car I was working on had Uni. 3.0 was bugged and definitely had a loss of low end. 3.1 may be a TAD lower under 3.8k than what 2.0 was, but I would bet it is on par with the Uni low end, if not more. After that, the top end is absolutely no comparison. It still has more than enough in the low end to blow the tires off in 1st/2nd and in some times 3rd. All around, it's just faster, and smoother.

Volkswaggin25

Ready to race!
Are we supposed to get flutter around 3rd gear still. ? For some reason after updating from 2.2 I'm getting more audible and worse flutter noise around third gear 3500k rpm.

jerome99

Go Kart Champion
Are we supposed to get flutter around 3rd gear still. ? For some reason after updating from 2.2 I'm getting more audible and worse flutter noise around third gear 3500k rpm.
No flutter here. Had it really bad .v2 I have full intake, DV relocation, top, and tbp, along with no resonator and no cat so the flutter was really calling out the one bottle neck In my setup. None on 3.1 though.

9r 2.0

I still have the flutter on v3.1. Not as much as when I was running v2.2, but it's still there!

james9120

Go Kart Champion
Without more data it's hard to say if an intercooler would help your performance. You have a very small amount of timing pull which could mean, old plugs, old oil, not the best gas, oil build up in the intercooler.

To really help determine if an ic would help you need to log ambient air temp and intake air temps as you do a pull and watch the correction factor.

A good intercooler will be about 40F or less of approach temp (iat-ambient). If your seeing 40-60F approach temps.. Your intercooler maybe full of oil or it's not big enough.

With these cars passing quit a bit of oil into the intake track the intercoolers build up a lot of oil that reduces their efficiency. Sometimes I wonder when people log oil filled intercoolers and then replace them with a new intercooler. How much of the difference is just due to a clean intercooler, probably a lot of it. It's more interesting to see how an ic performs after a year of oil build up.

Before buying a new ic try cleaning the one you've got. I used to do it on my eclipse gsx by removing it and filling it with gasoline to flush out the oil. Always made a big difference.

Thanks, I always assumed a bigger IC would make a difference because the difference between a high 80's day and mid 70's night is always noticeable.

dallen13

Ready to race!

I know who's car this is. I've never had a problem with my Uni tune, but more power out of software alone is worth it plus I have an apr k04 anyways. I better start saving!