GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 2.0 TSI ECU Update (Version 2.0!)

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Is there no official word from APR on remedying the issue?

I planned on going directly to APR stage 2 once all my parts were in...but, having read the past 10 pages or so of this thread it appears as though thousands of customers have gone neglected and their voices unheard.. I'm not trying to sign up to be apart of a bigger problem.

Should I just go to Unitronic or UM?

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion

depends on the issue. There are multiple issues with v2.0 through v2.3b.

I can tell you my issues are not resolved with v2.3b and I've essentially given up on their calibrator having the skills to correct these issues.

Chatchie

Ready to race!
Perhaps they consider no money to be made on the mk6 platform and therefore feel that there is no penalty to ignore us and no benefit to putting time and money into it. Perhaps the mk7 is the focus and we are old news. Perhaps.
Mk6 is a still a huge platform in the used car market. I would argue that there are probably more mk6 cars in the hands of enthusiast than there are mk7 just due to price alone.

I'm really surprised they let it get this bad.

Nineeightgolf

Ready to race!

I planned on going directly to APR stage 2 once all my parts were in...but, having read the past 10 pages or so of this thread it appears as though thousands of customers have gone neglected and their voices unheard.. I'm not trying to sign up to be apart of a bigger problem.

Should I just go to Unitronic or UM?

I would go Cobb if I was doing jt again. Custom tune down the rd

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
My buddy (DSG) also has numerous problems with the file, hey has anyone noticed that Arin hasn't replied back to anything, looked back a few pages and saw no support for this.. Interested to see what the response *cough excuse cough* will be when he finally does.

He in fact hasn't posted anything on the forums at all since September 17th. Hope he still has a job... his LinkedIn page still shows him as Director of Marketing at APR.

DarianBx3

Ready to race!
He in fact hasn't posted anything on the forums at all since September 17th. Hope he still has a job... his LinkedIn page still shows him as Director of Marketing at APR.

I think they just made a descision to post on the forums less.

Send some emails or support tickets if you are unhappy guys, posting here doesn't do anything. That might.

#MakeTheTuneGreatAgain

nomorehonda

Passed Driver's Ed
I think they just made a descision to post on the forums less.

Send some emails or support tickets if you are unhappy guys, posting here doesn't do anything. That might.

#MakeTheTuneGreatAgain

Definitely send in a support ticket, I got a response in about an hour and was allowed to downgrade back to v1.2. Having 1.2 again showed me just how bad the DSG shifting was with 2.1. It was so bad I hated driving my car in manual mode (which I do 95% of the time) and was considering dumping APR for someone else. I mentioned that in the support ticket. I have less power but the shifting is awesome.

DaveGLI

Ready to race!

I'm unfortunately not in a GTI, and COBB doesn't have support for the GLI... which is kinda dumb because its the same damn thing as any other gen 2 GTI.. differences are in the valves but other than that not much more.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I'm unfortunately not in a GTI, and COBB doesn't have support for the GLI... which is kinda dumb because its the same damn thing as any other gen 2 GTI.. differences are in the valves but other than that not much more.

What year GLI? If it's 2013.5+, its a different motor, its a Gen 3 EA888 with a smaller turbo than the Gen 3 EA888 in the Mk7 GTI. If its 2011-2013.5, my guess is that there aren't all that many GLIs out there within that range, so Cobb may have just cut the GLI from the scope.

Last edited:

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!

Knowing what I know now, especially since starting up autocross, I'd probably keep the ECU stock and focus on suspension to stay in the Street Touring class, vs Street Prepared with the tune.

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
What year GLI? If it's 2013.5+, its a different motor, its a Gen 3 EA888 with a smaller turbo than the Gen 3 EA888 in the Mk7 GTI. If its 2011-2013.5, my guess is that there aren't all that many GLIs out there within that range, so Cobb may have just cut the GLI from the scope.

It's a 2012 GLI... so literally the exact same EA888 (1-2) thats in the GTI... I wouldn't imagine the ECU would be all that different.. Literally would just require a change to the rev limiter which can be done in 2m through the req. torque tables to a lower value and thats about it..

maybe retard the timing 1-2* due to the different valves but other than that, its the same... half the reason I'm on this forum is because all your stuff that isn't chassis specific fits directly in my car.. downpipes, charge pipes, intakes, etc. It's all the same.

I'm a GTI.... with a trunk.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I just don't get the issues with the calibration in the first place. I mean D is amazingly smooth going up and down through the gears. S is great too (with a DSG tune anyways, cannot comment to those without). BUT M mode is just not right, 2.2b solved some of my issues but the weird hesitations are still there at peak torque.

What I miss from 1.2 is the shifting was perfect at full boost. PERFECT. Now it seems the more you have it spooled up the shittier the shifts. I could have accepted this had I not known what the previous version was like, haha

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I just don't get the issues with the calibration in the first place. I mean D is amazingly smooth going up and down through the gears. S is great too (with a DSG tune anyways, cannot comment to those without). BUT M mode is just not right, 2.2b solved some of my issues but the weird hesitations are still there at peak torque.

What I miss from 1.2 is the shifting was perfect at full boost. PERFECT. Now it seems the more you have it spooled up the shittier the shifts. I could have accepted this had I not known what the previous version was like, haha

See I don't get many upshift issues at all. The primary DSG issues I have are off-throttle downshifts, with the RPM overshoot and delayed and abrupt clutch engagement. Very occasionally, I get what feels like a boost cut following a short-shift. I also suspect I have an N75 valve problem though, so that might be causing the occasional upshift issues.