GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr stage 3 or Stage 3+ ?

Eurononomous

Passed Driver's Ed
14k mi. on my 3+ in less than a year(SoWo weekend). DD even in freezing rain and 7 inches of snow and ice. it's way the hell easier to drive than my stg2 setup under any circumstance.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I don't understand why someone would put about $10K into a power upgrade and then risk destroying the whole thing because he/she is too cheap to upgrade the rods and maybe pistons and valves.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I don't understand why someone would put about $10K into a power upgrade and then risk destroying the whole thing because he/she is too cheap to upgrade the rods and maybe pistons and valves.

juanpablo046

Your point being? It's still an additional $600 and how much is labor to open the block? It's still a very large chunk added to just the kit alone.

It's no surprise to anyone, you'll have to pay even more for every extra power, after you are already duplicating the original power.

:word:

Stage 3 or 3+ is great an all, but I feel like it's mostly for bragging rights. Even with a K04, good tires, poly bushings, and other suspension stuff traction is pretty aweful. And don't try and put ANY power down when it's damp. Sometimes it's just not fun.

I have friends with Big Turbo 1.8t's that are broke constantly. Sure, they make incredible power, but it's a pain in the ass to drive waiting for boost to come on and even more terrible trying to drive in the twisties. And for anyone that says a 3+ kit is reliable...I have two things to say. For one, these cars are new so it's going to take time for things to start coming apart..where on an older BT car you will find the weak links easily. And two, nobody here with a BT daily drives their car (besides Dave@HSTuning). It's pretty easy to say something is reliable when you drive it 5000 miles a year...

So in essance, go by another car to go fast in.

I do use as daily car my APR Stage 3. If it's broke constantly then you need to check on who built or do the maintenance of the car.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

And RS999, is it correct that you are putting down 312 with an APR stage 3 kit? Is something wrong with your car?

I do know what I'm talking about. Please elaborate if you have something to say.

juanpablo046

Almost all stage 3 and stage 3+ FSI/TSI APR customers I know daily drive their cars and the same goes for our employees with them:

Colby@APR Daily drives his Stage 3 R
Alen@APR Daily drives his Stage 3+ MK6 GTI
Joel@APR Daily drives his Stage 3+ MK6 GLI
Keith@APR Daily Drives his Stage 3 R
Ian@APR Daily Drives his Stage 3 MK5 GTI TSI
Evan@APR Daily drove his Stage 3+ MK6 GTI
Evan@APR Daily drives his K04 Scirocco
ChrisT@APR Daily drove his Stage 3 MK5 FSI
ChrisG@APR Daily drove his Stage 3 MK5 FSI
ChrisG@APR Daily drove his Stage 3 MK6 GTI
Andy@APR Daily drove his Stage 3 A3 FSI
Anyone@APR Daily drove the Shop Stage 3 A3 FSI
Arin@APR (and now my fiancée) daily drives my K04 MK5 FSI
MikeT@APR Daily drove his Stage 3 B7 A4
MikeH@APR Daily drives his K04 A3 TSI
Simon@APR Daily drove his K04 A3 FSI
Simon@APR Daily drives his K04 B8 A4 TSIVL
Johnny@APR Daily drives his Stage 4 B6 A4 with 2.0 TFSI swap
Grant@APR Daily drives his K04 TSI MK5 GLI
Johnny@APR's wife daily drove her K04 B7 A4
Johnny@APR's wife daily drives her K04 B8 A4

(That's all the FSI/TSI in house employee cars I can think of right now)

We have customers with well over 100,000 miles and our stage 3 kits have endured several 24 hour races. We even have a few running in the 12 hours of Bathurst right now.

Sure, big turbo 1.8T hacked together kits are always broken down, or that one guy you know with a 3076R or 35R going for insane power at the drag strip and dyno, but that's not what we produce and not something you need to worry about.

Another one over here

Stage 3 MK6 GTI

Daily driven, now 27000 miles. Even used hard at the track with no issue, ever.

I'm the APR dealer in Chile and I have years with modified cars (personal and commercial), you won't have any trouble working with a welll built kit. Any home made kit will have at least minor issues (pain in the ass). Big brands do charge for developing the interaction of the parts, I don't think much people is getting that.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Same top end most likely but torque will be much greater in the lower RPM range which will basically translate to more HP at all RPM and converging at redline.

That is because of the faster spool? Is this something you guys only do in house or could I purchase a gtx kit myself and have someone I choose do the install?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
That is because of the faster spool?

It has an anti surge housing so we don't have to worry about compressor surge, so we can run it harder in the lower RPM range without any compressor surge issues.

Is this something you guys only do in house or could I purchase a gtx kit myself and have someone I choose do the install?

It's really not something we offer at the moment, but if we were doing it in house, I don't see why not.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Do you have any dyno plots of tsi running a the gtx? Also how much for the complete kit? I would assume any of your dealers has the access to the software for the gtx?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Do you have any dyno plots of tsi running a the gtx?

No, not yet.

Also how much for the complete kit?

I don't have a price because it's not something we offer at this time.

I would assume any of your dealers has the access to the software for the gtx?

No, we haven't made any production software for a GTX turbo TSI yet because we don't offer the GTX turbo with our production kit at this moment.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Arin

I didn't pay much attention to it until recently but I can't help but notice that you guys advertise in your stage 3/3+ kit to not only be ample for the turbo setup you provide, but also ready for future upgrades. So if we bought your kit and bought a gtx turbo separately and got it custom tuned, should it work pretty smoothly?

Ever since I learned about gtx turbos I've just had this itch to go gtx30 and is my ultimate goal. If you guys make my dream come true in the form of an updated kit I'd be forever grateful.

/begging.

Halvie

WOOSA
Arin

I didn't pay much attention to it until recently but I can't help but notice that you guys advertise in your stage 3/3+ kit to not only be ample for the turbo setup you provide, but also ready for future upgrades. So if we bought your kit and bought a gtx turbo separately and got it custom tuned, should it work pretty smoothly?

Ever since I learned about gtx turbos I've just had this itch to go gtx30 and is my ultimate goal. If you guys make my dream come true in the form of an updated kit I'd be forever grateful.

/begging.

join the club, and good luck :D

billet1

Ready to race!
Hello all I am currently debating between the stage 3 and stage 3+ kits.
I am kind of a HP freak so obviously I would like as much as possible, but here are my questions....

My car is daily driven, so lots of miles every year.

Secondly I want to be able to come on to it a bit under 60mph or 100 kph and still have some traction. So I don't just want a car for high way roll ons.

Can people that are running stage 3+ kits chime in ? I am just scared that the stage 3 kit will not be enough and I will regret not buying the 3+.

~ Thanks

yeah i'm on the same boat as you stage 3 or stage 3+ so i decided that i dont wanna have that regret what if i bought a stage 3+ so i'm going all out eventually just saving up money and prepping the car for the stage 3+