GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

NoSpark

Go Kart Champion
Hang on to that one, she's a beauty. Surely will be a collectable down the road.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2lazy4agoodname

Ready to race!
Welcome to lsa power. Congrats!

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
So a little more info on the caddy - of course I can't afford a cts-v wagon, they are going for bongo bucks and are rarer than rare. The car I am buying started life out as a 2010 CTS Sportwagen with awd. It was totaled for an engine burn with 43k miles on the clock. A guy bought it and stripped literally everything out of it, sand blasted and repainted it, and swapped over everything from a rear-crashed 2012 V sedan with 33k miles on it. He is taking the engine and tranny out for a different project and selling me the wagon as a roller. Everything besides the motor, tranny, ecm, and engine wiring harness is there and works just like a v-wagon.

I am planning on keeping the build lower budget and putting in a LS3 crate motor and a stock tranny (6L90, so no unfortunately this one has an auto). I will probably go with a hotter cam than a stock LS3, but I what I really want is to make this car into the ultimate daily driver - good reliability, somewhat decent fuel economy, and awesome all around chassis, suspension, and of course 5 door body.

It has the recaro's, pano sunroof, and of course the magnetic ride control suspension with the brembo brakes.

This is literally my dream car - A CTS-V wagon with somewhat respectable fuel economy so I can drive it on my long commute. Plus it will be so awesome to learn about the LS engine and what it takes to make everything work. I've never been afraid of a challenge, and this car is basically the be-all end-all car for me. I will be able to make it my own, and make it work exactly how I want it to.

This will be a lot longer process than my GTI rebuild was, as I will have a kid and it is much more involved. But I had to jump at the opportunity to have my perfect car. What could be better?

That's all for now, I am scheduled to see the car in person in a month, so there is no hurry. The seller has the car at the shop now getting the engine and tranny taken out. I'm going to concentrate on my first child first in the coming month, but this is going to be a fun ride :)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Wow, sounds like a killer project! :thumbup:

How much is he asking for the roller & where's it at?
How much is a LS3 & trans gonna set you back?
Just curious to know what your "all in" for the build will be.

Did you ever sell the truck btw?

Again congrats & good luck with the new addition.
My d-day is coming soon too, kid #2, in about a month now :eek:

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
This is something I'm trying to get a handle on. This is my perfect car, dream car really, so I'm not trying to nickel and dime my way through everything, but I think I'm still getting a fair price for the roller - $15k. What do you guys think? If this was a sedan I know that would be a high price, but it's a wagon, and that is really hard to price (but it's for sure a higher priced market than the sedan). It's not a crazy high price, but it's not a steal either. The seller said he had a ton of people contact him in the 18 hours the craigslist ad was up (to the point where he wanted to take the ad down so he would stop getting so many phone calls). So the price seems to be supported by the market.

Full budget is set at around $25k. I may be going a different route now with the motor - building a s/c'd ly6 or l92 :) still weighing my options.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Damn damn damn.

DAMMIT.

The paperwork surrounding both cars is killing the sale. No Vagon for me :(

The car has not been registered yet, so and it has a salvage title and will have to be inspected to get back on the road in MN. This includes proof of ownership of major changes to the car within the rebuild process. Since this includes the engine, trans, and other major components, I would have to prove i have ownership of these components with the original vin and a receipt. I of course won't have either of those things because the v he swapped them from is gone.

I am avoiding a huge headache, which is awesome, but my chance of owning my dream car got flushed down the crapper.

Dammit.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
A new friend in the stable:

Back at my place after the 20-hour, 1250 mile drive from New Jersey:

Mods are already starting... CAI on the way, and got a set of American Racing Headers with high-flow cats and mid-pipes with H-pipe. Also got a set of camaro ss 20's with 8(!) miles on them for $250. Score. I'm gonna ditch the Drag wheels on there now, they are a bit much.

So glad I ended up with this car. It has such great bones, it just needs a little massaging and it will be perfect. I love that I will have 400+ crank horsepower and still able to get 27mpg on the freeway to work. Booya.

2lazy4agoodname

Ready to race!
Welcome to the club.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Yep, I just couldn't pay the gxp prices for something I was going to be putting a lot of miles on. Finding a salvage gxp with the stick that isn't wrapped around a pole is impossible. I'm glad I got the gt, I actually really like the 6L80 tranny in stock form, and I hear with a tcm tune it gets way better.

It's got 52k miles on it, has those drag wheels with falken 452's (summers) in decent shape and solos axle back kit as well as the stock 19" wheels and the stock mufflers. Paid $13,500 out the door.

Salvage title of course, but this one is perfect - the guy ran it through a fence, so it was all body/paint damage. No air bags deployed, no structural damage, etc. It's all fixed up now, the guy I bought it from painted the entire car and replaced the hood. The perfect salvage car for me and my family (the back seat and trunk are redonk huge).

I can't wait to start adding ponies! My hankook ventus evo2's get here today, so those will go on the new summer wheels (20" camaro ss takeoffs), then I'll sell the drags and the solo exhaust and do the headers plus high flow cats, h-pipe to the stock mufflers (stealth is appreciated). Should put down around 360whp after tuning!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited: