GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a GTI...Is Water Pump failure an issue

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
2010, waterpump failed around 11k miles, now at 15k

kona

Damn, I just got a GTI (picking it up tomorrow..so excited). I hope my water pump is going to be ok.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
So what do we look at for symptoms in our car? A few weeks after I got my 2011 I noticed a weird whining/whistling sound and they told me it was my water pump and they replaced it. Other than that, what are people seeing? Overheating? CELs?

Probably a dumb question but other than the sound I've never had a failed water pump in a car, so I don't know.. :)

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Failing TSI water pump either (rarely) dump a ton of coolant or they (commonly) just whine, they don't overheat, they don't cause check engine lights, they don't cause drivability problems.

GPM

Ready to race!
Failing TSI water pump either (rarely) dump a ton of coolant or they (commonly) just whine, they don't overheat, they don't cause check engine lights, they don't cause drivability problems.

Mine developed an occasional leak. When parked and allowed to completely cool it would leave a small puddle. It may have whined but at my age and with my hearing I didn't notice it.

swalia

Water pump issues

Love my 3-and-a-half year old GTI - just under 33K. First problem with water pump - but no worry as still under warranty. However, concerned!

Mantooth

Ready to race!
Purchased 8/2011; water pump failed 11/12 @ about 18k miles. Leaked slowly and the low coolant idiot light was my cue to have it looked at. FWIW, it's an easy fix and I had the car back the next day.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
i had my water pump failure when my car was almost 7 months old, it took them a night to have it repaired and i don't have to pay for nothing (thanks to warranty). i didn't have any other problems at all so far :D

Benji668

i just had my waterpump replaced at the dealership today. it was leaking coolant with the indicator lite up. what a dissapointment for a brand new car under 11,000 miles (under half year old). its just something i would not expect from a GTI. now i do not know whether i want to keep it at the end of the lease.

sgessler2011

Ready to race!
Mine just failed at 18,000 miles. Replaced under warranty this week. This was my first and only mechanical issue. I would still buy a VW and plan on the MK7 GTI when it is released here in the next few years.

excelevant

Go Kart Champion
Build date 12/1, mine squealed when it was hot during the summer a few times. I've always kept an eye on the coolant, everything is still good with ~17,000mi. :thumbup:

Rascal

Ready to race!
Hmm..everyone with a water pump failure has replied. So, major problem. :thumbdown:

Chef_R_Gamie

Ready to race!
Hmm..everyone with a water pump failure has replied. So, major problem. :thumbdown:

Only a handful of people said it was a problem, so I don't see any major issues here, VW had a problematic a batch of wp which it looks like they fixed... Not to mention its under warranty and if fixed right away shouldnt cause any long term issues

Tr.dub

On my 2012 mine failed at about 11k. No noise just leaked left a trail on the ground. Dropped it off at the dealer in the morning had it back by about 1pm. Have a friend at the dealer.