GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a GTI...Is Water Pump failure an issue

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Only a handful of people said it was a problem, so I don't see any major issues here, VW had a problematic a batch of wp which it looks like they fixed... Not to mention its under warranty and if fixed right away shouldnt cause any long term issues

None of the current revisions are "safe." VW hasn't fixed the problem yet.
12 pages of water pump carnage:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4872

Some people are on their 4th wp.

Rascal

Ready to race!
Only a handful of people said it was a problem, so I don't see any major issues here, VW had a problematic a batch of wp which it looks like they fixed... Not to mention its under warranty and if fixed right away shouldnt cause any long term issues

Eh, my attempt to be sarcastic wasn't written so well. Most everyone replying to this thread is reporting a WP problem. To the OP this does not mean this is a big issue with the car. As mentioned above this is possibly a production issue with a subset of units? Or more likely a poorly designed part. I have owned a LOT of German cars and while they screw them together really well the weakness is usually in the reliability of outsourced parts.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Eh, my attempt to be sarcastic wasn't written so well. Most everyone replying to this thread is reporting a WP problem. To the OP this does not mean this is a big issue with the car. As mentioned above this is possibly a production issue with a subset of units? Or more likely a poorly designed part. I have owned a LOT of German cars and while they screw them together really well the weakness is usually in the reliability of outsourced parts.

Design issue. Its plastic, and falls apart.

pciexp

The water pump in my GTI was replaced under warranty last week because of a leak. The car had around 12k miles when the WP failed. Talked to the service advisor and he confirmed that the WP was indead plastic... He also mentioned that their dealership had seen quite some number of WP failures on the TSI engine.

forsun

Within one week i purchase my new cross touran,I notice a weird noises come out from the left side of the dashboard,especially at low peed driving, I make complain then they said water pump problem and make the replacement. I don't think it is a minor issue as a brand new car come with.

Justinp82

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine was replaced yesterday at 11,700 (2012)

Was squealing, no leaks that I could see.

AT rev part went in, we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
What does this squealing sound like? Is the tone dependant on the engine revs? I have a strange sound from the engine when it's cold, but weirdly it's completely monotone.

butchered by autocorrect

Coolicarboy

Ready to race!
This is an old thread, but I've had my GLI for a year and have racked up 20k miles. Everything so far is okay.

ph0shizle

Passed Driver's Ed
my water pump failed at around 29,000 miles. I had low coolant and some beeping noises so i brought it in to get it checked at the dealership. The service workers at my dealership automatically assumed it was the water pump before even checking it out and said it's a very common issue with the TSI GTI's. Turns out that they were right and had it replaced within a full day.