GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a GTI...Is Water Pump failure an issue

McQueen77

Banned
mines been fine. 35500 miles, 3 year old GTI

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
Mines fine. 10000k on a '13. Strange squealing on WOT for a brief second, after I installed my carbonio, but no waterpump problems :)

rusty

Ready to race!
note: had it nov 2011 from Illinois, then brought it to cali feb 2012 until now.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

caffeineTX

Ready to race!
problems with this car,

carbon buildup (a direct injection engine problem not a gti problem)
waterpump
weak stock clutch for tuning
a lot of blowbye bye virtue of a forced induction engine
like a 1 in like a thousand cars (very rare issue) timing belt tensioner failure

skabone

Passed Driver's Ed
2013 gti, 13k and my wp just went. The dealership was very quick to replace the wp. My coolant light went off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Kaenon

Ready to race!
I will be inking a deal to buy a 2012 GTI in the next week or so. The test drives are done and the car is just awesome. In doing my research, I came across a couple of postings about the water pump failures. Is this a real wide spread problem? From these postings, it seems like the TSI engine has had these problems since 2010 and it does not seem like VAG is getting any closer to fixing it. My question is, does your GTI have Water Pump problems and if it would have stopped you from buying your car.

I have a 2012 and have had no water pump issue, but my HFPF went at 15k.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Mine has been fine, around 20k miles now. I did have to top-off the coolant once in the first year, but no problems since then.