GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental dws extremecontact dws review

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I just got a new set of extreme contact dws tires by continental for the gti and this is my short term review. I will be keeping this updated throughout my time with these tires. I live in Michigan, so this will be a very honest, and thourough review.

I first got my car with brand new Pirelli pzero nero all seasons from the dealer. Grip was sub par and the wear was quick. I bought the car with 37k and now have 60k and my front two tires were 1 oil change away from riding the wear bars. The other two could've lasted me till the end of the year. They did well in wet weather, and got me thru the winter no problem. The dry pavement performance was lacking for sure. I noticed lots of understeer when taking turns at higher speeds. These weren't hairpin turns and I wasn't flying thru them expecting to be glued to the road. The tires just lacked solid grip.

The continentals had noticeably more grip right off the bat. I felt much more connected to the pavement, regardless of how smooth the road was. Road noise is reduced and I have a quieter cabin when driving. I haven't experienced the same understeer I had with the pirellis either. These tires seem to stick and want to hold even under quick, tight turns. So far I am absolutely thrilled with the dws. They have excellent grip, a solid wear life, and great reviews and I'm excited to really test them out come winter. I'll be keeping you all posted with more info and experiences.

8/10/15 - Got the day off work and was lucky enough for it to rain! Took a windy road and really made sure to push it. The care handled like a dream! I always felt connected to the ground. Did a few hard pulls with traction control off and I only had to dial back the throttle just a bit to keep from slipping. Grip is excellent!! Thru the turns the car felt solid and I didn't get a sense off traction loss. Never felt any hydroplaning either even while going 60mph. Went thru some pools of water to test hydroplane control, and the water displacement is very good. All in all, wet weather is child's play for this tire!

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
Are these the new dws06?

sticksabuser

Ready to race!

Muratti

Ready to race!

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
Not to jack thread, but just recently put these on the wifes 2013 TT w/competition package. Though they went great lengths to improve quality, grip, and stiffen the sidewalls (30% give or take) with the DWS06, but, the sidewalls are still too flexible to be considered a sport/performance all season.

Edit: My opinion may not count considering i have the Michelin PSS' on my gti - dat bias doe :D

If you want comfort, decent grip, and low road noise, the DWS06 are great tires and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
dws should not be compared to pss. one is an all season, one is a summer tire. the closest thing you'll get is the as/3 and that tire will suck in snow.

Double's Dub

Ready to race!
dws should not be compared to pss. one is an all season, one is a summer tire. the closest thing you'll get is the as/3 and that tire will suck in snow.

I didn't, i'm just bias being that i own a set. Even for an all season in the performance category, they are missing that edge in terms of stability- the pzeros even felt better in terms of steering feel. Any small/ quick jerk of the wheel and you get that all too common conti slushy feel :(

Dont get me wrong though, these DWS06 tires are definitely better than their predecessor- the comfort and ride quality may lean me to get a set someday for my car

Last edited:

kbrett11

Ready to race!
These are not the dws06. I wanted the standard dws because they were rated for snow, where as the dws06 said nothing about snow for the design. If I didn't live in Michigan, I would've gone with the dws06 for sure.

Last edited:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Yeah all season performance is related to performance in all 4 seasons. The dws snow performance is better than any other all-season tire, hence the category rating.

luvdagators

Go Kart Champion
OP you got some great tires
I have DWS on my car and my wife has DWS06 on her jetta
Living in the moumtains of NC I assure you the tires will perform great in all conditions
On a side note I don't understand somebody rattling off about tires they don't need anyways if they never see snow, so correct some opinions don't count!

"the sidewalls are still too flexible to be considered a sport/performance all season"
Bullshit....................

All opinion of course!

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I don't see snow but my parents do. I have the previous DWS on both cars, couldn't be happier with them. I did get 235's though.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
OP you got some great tires
I have DWS on my car and my wife has DWS06 on her jetta
Living in the moumtains of NC I assure you the tires will perform great in all conditions
On a side note I don't understand somebody rattling off about tires they don't need anyways if they never see snow, so correct some opinions don't count!

"the sidewalls are still too flexible to be considered a sport/performance all season"
Bullshit....................

All opinion of course!

Thanks! I already love them! I actually found out that continental redid the sidewalls and they are stiffer now.