GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Daily - street tire

songyun

Ready to race!
Hi guys.
Im looking for upgrade my tire. the stock one is slipping like 24/7.
I still want mileage. 90% daily drive. i heard some people say there will be less than 10k on semi slicks. im not sure. some people say it can hold mileages like stock tire. idk.
No track day. I prefer good steering and control on corner.
Please list a couple of street tires for our mk6. experience, mileages and performance rate if you can.
Any advice and suggestions? Appreciated !

Last edited:

McFuzz

Go Kart Champion
wrong forum but that said - I got the firestone firehawk last week on my stock detroit wheels for daily driving. I got them for a steal - $90 a pop - and they perform fairly well, certainly not any worse than the stock pirellis.

simpson110

Ready to race!
I got Michelin pilot sport a/s 3's a few weeks ago and I love them. Grip like a summer tire with all year rubber compound.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I had the exact same requirements as you and went with Michelin Pilot Super Sport...they are about to be installed and will give my feedback..

I went with extreme summer tires (AD08R) and the mileage and noise were ridiculous.

songyun

Ready to race!
I had the exact same requirements as you and went with Michelin Pilot Super Sport...they are about to be installed and will give my feedback..

I went with extreme summer tires (AD08R) and the mileage and noise were ridiculous.

lol. i think most of extreme summer tires wont perform good mileage and noise right ? i think ultra high all season tires should be good for long period daily driving. however, i heard from my cousin he said semi slicks can hold as good mileage as general tires, if you drive normally. i also heard this saying from some other people. i want to make sure if it's true.

Last edited:

songyun

Ready to race!
wrong forum but that said - I got the firestone firehawk last week on my stock detroit wheels for daily driving. I got them for a steal - $90 a pop - and they perform fairly well, certainly not any worse than the stock pirellis.

good price. i saw the reviews which are not bad.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Don't get conti DWS in your case. Overrated internet hyped horseshit.

zrickety

The Fixer
I've had firehawks in the past, they are ok. DWS are a bit better, you get what you pay for.

what_the

Tires are always a touchy and subjective topic. Everyone has their opinion too. High levels of grip and long life don't go hand in hand together. Someone above posted a list of several of the tires scene in the autox circuits I have been in, those guys go for a season on a set. You best bet is Michelin super sport. Please just remember that your daily driver has to work in the rain, something semi slicks and rivals are terrible at.

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Tires are always a touchy and subjective topic. Everyone has their opinion too. High levels of grip and long life don't go hand in hand together. Someone above posted a list of several of the tires scene in the autox circuits I have been in, those guys go for a season on a set. You best bet is Michelin super sport. Please just remember that your daily driver has to work in the rain, something semi slicks and rivals are terrible at.

This ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aregister

Ready to race!
I have nitto neogens and I've seen other members with them also. They are relatively cheap and I have used them even in the snow and they work great, look good, last long time, etc etc. Discount tire direct, i believe. Also, stock pirellis are garbage, I've trashed two within 10000 miles, and I have a 5 mile commute to work. Took 2-3 road trips. One bubbled, the other started cracking, the other two wore way too quick. But, I'll stop bashing

gichoke

Passed Driver's Ed
I had Cooper Zeon RS3-A purchased/installed @ Pep Boys in San Carlos in the fall / 5k ago. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep/sell the car so I replaced my Continental DWS with these.

Overall for the price these are great tires. I haven't felt under-confident yet. Plus Pep Boys has ridiculous offers on these (3 for 4 deal), and they have a 40k warranty.

As for the DWS, I think they are a great tire. I ran them hard for about 30k, and even used them at a track weekend with the PCA in the Poconos. They handled extremely well (running in the rain at 80-90 mph on turns, awesome). I also have them on my wife's S4 and they are great.

Haven't run the Cooper's at the track yet.

I live in the city and am happy to give you a ride if you like.