GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Details on the next gen GTI and GTI-R!

RabbidGTI06

Eurogasm
hmm..scirocco race engine?

how about the 280bhp engine used in the scirocco race cars from nurburgring? 280 in an awd hatch? sounds like a little more tuning and you have something that can play with caymans, stis, evos, g37s, 350zs, and an array of cars that couldnt be touched by the r32. 335? 135? plenty to work with. i doubt itll be 7 speed dsg it meant for lower hp higher tq. 6 speed gearing will work better with the (hopefully standard) 6 speed manual as a base.

uscrew96

Ready to race!
Just bring the Scirocco to NA I want one!!!!!!

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
I'm looking forward to seeing the GTI-R here in OZ...sounds like it is going to be one quick unit

chylld

I think I might buy a 'simple' GTI. They hold their value so well they're about the only cars I'd consider buying new these days! And apparently a lot of effort's gone into the refinement, which for me was the only thing missing from the mkV.

Was actually in a dealership ready to buy a mkV but was told the waiting list was 10 months. I wonder how soon we can pre-order the mk6?

eldaino

i'm wondering on the discrepency of the gti's powerplant...

most U.S. automotive websites and magazines have said that the only difference for the gti will be 10 extra hp...NOT the 51lb ft of torque increase that the a4 has, and that the beggining of this thread claims it will have.

If it does have that much torque, it will be amazing, but how do we know for sure what output it will have? i agree it makes more sense to have a global 2.0t, but it seems like there is no solid facts.

edmunds also mentioned a 1.8tsi engine being used to replace the 2.5. if so i say great...unless ofcourse they refine the 2.5 up a bit.

Eviloliv3

Ready to race!
FYI

They have said they are bringing the Scirocco to the US

Now debating on whether to get a GTI-R or Scirocco

I wish the details on both cars came out sooner, like pictures, prices, features, etc

Jethro41

Volkswagenista!!
Lucky buggers... I hop we in OZ get spoilt for choice this year too...I'd really like to experience the glorious agony of deciding between a Scirocco and a GTI

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
i'm wondering on the discrepency of the gti's powerplant...

most U.S. automotive websites and magazines have said that the only difference for the gti will be 10 extra hp...NOT the 51lb ft of torque increase that the a4 has, and that the beggining of this thread claims it will have..
It will not be getting the A4 version of the new engine as Audi wants to keep them for themselfs. It gets a version of the same engine family (EA888 iirc)but the versions is based on the ones for the rest of the VW empire without the more advanced variable valve timing. Similar spec to the current Scirocco but with a slight bhp increase.

PS also of note for this thread
UK magazine Autoexpress has a brief review of the mk6 GTI in next weeks issue against the previous generations of the GTI to find out which is the best one,

Last edited:

Q822

Ready to race!
But why do they plan to sell a GTi mk6 with 210 hp when they have sold a GTI mk5 with 230 hp (edition 30) ? I really don't understand that....

I really don't know what I'm gonna do with my MK5 2007....

1) keep it, put a Candy White paint on it...(It has a lower suspension, Revo stage 1, Neuspeed intake, black tint windows and I delete the flasher in the bumper like in Europe, aluminium dash trim)

2) sell it for buying a MK6 that will cost me 10 000$ more than the price I will sell my MK5 for nothing else than a different look and a TSI engine instead of a FSI ( need a lower suspension too and a stage one.)

3) sell it and buying another kind of car but it's sad because nothing else give me that (sport, confort, usefull etc...)

what is you plan?

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
maybe because its less turbo laggy due to less power and smaller turbo, has far better CO2 figures than the older engine (very important for tax reasons in europe) and they want to use the new family EA888 engine. Also leaves them scope for a higher performance version. lower insurance for lower power. Another reason is how the 230 engine was recieved by the normal motoring press and compared to the 200 the standard 200 cars were always claimed to be a better balance/compromise. The image of the GTI badge can sell the car in Europe it does not need extra power is another reason they probably looked at. Also unless your doing above the speed limit balls out acceleration or racing then theres not much difference in the tested numbers is another reason they probably looked at. Cost and how much they could get away with charging for the lower power version and maybe bring a higher power one out later and charge more for it is another. There is many reasons if you think about it.

Q822

Ready to race!
Snoopy you're right but don't forget that they have to compare their car to the other company too... the next Mazda Speed will be something ...my point is if they really want to sell a lot they have to sell the R at 35 000$ not much and the GTi under 30 000 (28 000) .. no?

Snoopy1

Ready to race!
The thing is power is not everything and those extra power does not always translate into good figures anyway, they can compromise so much else too, Im sure you know the saying power can .... . Some of its rivals even limit power in the lower gears!!.
The current mk5 is comapred to rival, or past rivals such as the 225PS focus ST, 230PS renault megan, 240PS Vauxhall astra vxr, 250PS Alfa 147 GTA, 210PS BINI cooper S JCW, 240PS SEAT leon Cupra, Mazda etc etc even the golf R32's. Its performance figures are there or near abouts its rivals at below tripple mph figures especially ingear ones. Its a balancing act. The GTI in its 30+ life time has never been the most powerful of the bunch infact far from it. But it was always one of the best alrounders.