GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY on Brake Pad replacement on Mk6 GTI

nik

Go Kart Champion
I just tried to do a pad/rotor replacement on my Mk6 Golf TDI over the weekend and was unable to remove the bolts on the CALIPER FRAME (the bolts on the caliper were no problem). Do these bolts and the caliper frame need to be removed in order to get the rotor off? I've seen videos of front brake jobs for older generation Golfs where the caliper frame wasn't removed and the rotor was replaced with it in place.

Thanks in advance,
scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem yesterday on my GTI. I'm taking it into a shop. They're apparently really stubborn to remove. Winter and the fact they're triple square doesn't help either.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

scott_nichol

I had the same problem yesterday on my GTI. I'm taking it into a shop. They're apparently really stubborn to remove. Winter and the fact they're triple square doesn't help either.

So, more to the point, did you have to remove the caliper frame or not?

thanks,
scott

nik

Go Kart Champion
I will have to to get the rotor out. Believe me. I tried. ECS has a video for a MK5 which is more or less the same as my car and I believe the 11+ GTI has the same rear set up as the jettas and golfs.

Gti_Vroom415

Ready to race!
I just tried to do a pad/rotor replacement on my Mk6 Golf TDI over the weekend and was unable to remove the bolts on the CALIPER FRAME (the bolts on the caliper were no problem). Do these bolts and the caliper frame need to be removed in order to get the rotor off? I've seen videos of front brake jobs for older generation Golfs where the caliper frame wasn't removed and the rotor was replaced with it in place.

Thanks in advance,
scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They do need to be removed. Try to apply heat, they can be stuck pretty good

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Did y'all try loosening it with an impact wrench?

nik

Go Kart Champion
Did y'all try loosening it with an impact wrench?

Yup. It started to smell funny so I gave up. Didn't try the hammer and wrench or penetrant trick though. Next time.

zrickety

The Fixer
Yes you can. I would still plan on buying a brake tool kit, you'll need it for the rears and other vehicles.

~clover

Passed Driver's Ed
I know I'm necrobumping, but I just replaced my brake pads, lines, and rotors and had a heckuva time trying to get the rear caliper carrier bolts off so wanted to post a couple cautions and tips for people.

1. The caliper carrier bolts are stretch-bolts and not supposed to be re-used, so make sure you buy some if you're replacing your rotors (I've heard arguments that the dealer never changes them, however the bentley repair manual recommends replacing them and VW says to too... plus they're only like $4).

2. The top caliper carrier bolt is near impossible to remove with the car on jackstands because you have very little room to move the ratchet or get a breaker bar underneath the car to get leverage, and the control arm is kinda in the way. If you have the car on a lift it might be easier, but if you're using jackstands you might have to remove the bolt holding the lower control arm so it'll swing down and give you more room. I had to remove the lower control arm bolt on the passenger side because when I tried doing it without removing it there wasn't enough room for me to get leverage on the top caliper carrier bolt. So, my triple square bit getting deformed and i had to get a new one. Once I tried the second time with the lower control arm bolt removed it was a lot easier and I got the caliper carrier bolt out.
Also for the top caliper carrier bolt, unless you have a shorter triple square bit or a thinner ratchet, the rear sway bar will probably be in the way and you'll need to remove the hub/pinch bolt above the rotor to fit a ratchet on the top caliper carrier bolt.

For anyone planning on doing this job themselves, hope this saves you some frustration..

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
You can borrow the brake caliper compression tool from AutoZone if you don't want to spend the money. I usually have to go to one to buy small odds and ends anyway.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yeah it was only like 60 bucks at oriellys to rent that tool. Pretty important for the rear.

Sent from phone Tapa

AutoZone charges the $60 up front, but you get a full refund when you return the tool. I think other auto stores are the same.

Regarding the stubborn caliper frame bolts..... anybody tried a breaker bar they didn't care about with a really long cheater bar? For bolts that I can't remove with just the breaker bar I have a lever from an old jack that I keep around to use for extra leverage.

I know that's not the elegant, professional way of doing it. But for me it's always been super effective.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
What's the torque spec on those bracket bolts? They're not stretch bolts are they?

I'm doing pads today, but since I'm in there I can see if I can break one of those bolts loose.