GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Sub & Amp Install

FFAC

Ready to race!
How much was the line level converter? I went to best buy and found what I thought was a line level converter, just boxed/labeled differently, but it was $100!!!

The one I got from best buy was $19.99...I will check tomorrow what brand.

opti

why not wire it into the ignition or something so it turns on and off with the car?

or even better, to the radio, so it only turns on when the radios on!

did any one have success with this? I dont trust my self with an on off switch connected to my battery powering the amp....

also how would adding subs and amp onto a GTI with the upgraded audio, i noticed that i have an amp for the speakers. is it possible to wire the subs and amp directly into the amp that runs the speakers. I had a 5 series once and this is how an installer did it.

yada22

Ready to race!
did any one have success with this? I dont trust my self with an on off switch connected to my battery powering the amp....

also how would adding subs and amp onto a GTI with the upgraded audio, i noticed that i have an amp for the speakers. is it possible to wire the subs and amp directly into the amp that runs the speakers. I had a 5 series once and this is how an installer did it.

so i just did my install and the LOC (line out converter) had a 12v remote built into it, works like a charm!!!

as for wiring into the amp, this is definitely doable, its what i did on my MK4. The only thing with that is that i did it for convenience as the amp was in the trunk, where i believe they are under the drivers seat now.

i used a SOT976 ISO, which plugs into the back of your stock head unit and your factory harness. you tap into this with the LOC, rather then factory wiring harness. this way your not hacking up your stock harness.

i also used a PAC LC1 to control my bass, as this controls the output level to the rca's. as it was difficult to find a bass control for my RE amp, this product was much cheaper then bass controllers for amps (if they dont come with the amp).

heres the SOT976 ISO:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BA5H0U/ref=oss_product

heres the LOC i used:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11265_P.I.E.-EIS-LOC-T.html

heres the PAC LC1:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002J226O/ref=oss_product

opti

sweet, thanks for the response. ill probably have my subs installed this weeekend. super stoked.

would any one know the layout of the amp installed in the mk6's? i know its under the seat but i couldn't find any other info about it. just a heatsink and wires lol.

FeatherRuffler

Ready to race!
Great DIY! Had my ipad out the other day referencing this quite a bit -- Could be cool if you dropped the power switch onto the unused buttons in the center console (next to ESP). Real easy to pop the covers off the gear box/cigarette tray. Gives you a ton of room to run wire. The switch looks pretty bad ass like a pilot switch -- I think it would be fun to turn it on if it was there. Like you are in your own little rocket ship.

Anyways I digress, good write up -- Got my sub being delivered today. Should be up and bumpin this weekend thanks to your help

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
I wired up my amp using an old line out converter that I got from a friend of mine who owns a car accessories shop. I finished all the wiring and even hooked up the rem wire for the amp to the cigarette lighter in the trunk. I think the line level converter is bad though cuz I'm getting nothing out of the sub. Looks like I'll be pulling out the radio again... damnit!

duces

Passed Driver's Ed
great diy wish this would have been up 4 months ago wen i put mine it, wana say it was a b*@#* to install everythin but now im bumping with 2 12"s in the back :D

aeaustin2021

Passed Driver's Ed
Great Pics! Installing my system Sunday. Can't wait!

FFAC

Ready to race!
Great DIY! Had my ipad out the other day referencing this quite a bit -- Could be cool if you dropped the power switch onto the unused buttons in the center console (next to ESP). Real easy to pop the covers off the gear box/cigarette tray. Gives you a ton of room to run wire. The switch looks pretty bad ass like a pilot switch -- I think it would be fun to turn it on if it was there. Like you are in your own little rocket ship.

Anyways I digress, good write up -- Got my sub being delivered today. Should be up and bumpin this weekend thanks to your help

Thanks! It was a lot of work because this was my first time but I wanted to learn the process...definitely some mistakes but learned along the way. I would love to run the switch through the buttons in the center console but I have gotten really used to the position of the switch now; it is hidden and no one can accidentally bump it. Good luck with your install! Post pics!

great diy wish this would have been up 4 months ago wen i put mine it, wana say it was a b*@#* to install everythin but now im bumping with 2 12"s in the back :D

Great Pics! Installing my system Sunday. Can't wait!

Thanks and good luck with the install! Post pics!

yada22

Ready to race!
after reading through all the sub installs i decided to make my setup cleaner..

i am still waiting on my box from nic at uberstealth, UPS says its in chino now, so about a day away. Nic was great and got my box out in a week, big thanks!!!

here is what i did with my amp!

apologies for the iphone pics, i'll get the nice camera out after i get the box and its all installed.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
I really want to install my amp that way but I'm afraid of it overheating. I have a fairly old kenwood KAC-7201 2-channel amp. The heatsink and fan are located on top of the amp, but the damn thing gets very warm and I'd be worried I'd fry the thing if it was under the carpet in the trunk.

yada22

Ready to race!
i would only recommend mounting class D amps under the floor due to the heat issues

i would agree, however this AB amp that i have runs really cool and i dont foresee any issues. its also only 400 watts and the gain is only 3/4 the way up.

Nic when i get that box in this week, i'll post pics for everyone!!:w00t: